PDA

View Full Version : Ripping using iTunes, is it okay? / EAC n00b help needed

taparoo
2006-12-21, 07:18 PM
(I read the faq, and searched and didn't come up with anything) - I was wondering if ripping using iTunes is okay, or do i need to use one of the programs mentioned in the faq. You'll have to forgive me, I've never uploaded a torrent before. :hmm:

U2Lynne
2006-12-21, 07:25 PM
You should use one of the programs mentioned. iTunes has been shown to not do 100% accurate rips. EAC is the absolute best program, however it's only available on the PC. If you are on a Mac, then get xACT, and it will extract the files for you using the best Mac program.

If you have other questions, feel free to post back in this thread.

rhinowing
2006-12-21, 07:25 PM
use on of the ones in the FAQ--if you're on a PC, you can't beat EAC

taparoo
2006-12-21, 07:27 PM
EAC, alright. thanks guys.

Five
2006-12-21, 07:28 PM
no, if you're on PC use EAC and if you're on a MAC, use xAct.

check the ABT seeding policy for much more info (& requirements) and post back here if you have any questions.
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_rules

taparoo
2006-12-21, 10:43 PM
I'm reading through the EAC tutorial in your signature, Five, and it's talking about dl'ing an ASPI layer. It says I need one, and it directs me to a place where I can get one, nero.com, but I don't see anywhere where there's a free download. Any suggestions as to where I can dl one? and I'm running on a windows xp.

taparoo
2006-12-22, 10:39 PM
anyone?

Five
2006-12-22, 11:09 PM
I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean... do you mean you're having trouble downloading the EAC program itself? exactaudiocopy.de

the link in my signature is about configuration. its a bit mind-boggling but when you work thru it step by step its logical and once its done it stays done. #1 is to make sure you're in secure more, all error checking stuff set to maximum. then get the offsets right and test them to really put the icing on the cake.

taparoo
2006-12-23, 01:11 AM
I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean... do you mean you're having trouble downloading the EAC program itself? exactaudiocopy.de

the link in my signature is about configuration. its a bit mind-boggling but when you work thru it step by step its logical and once its done it stays done. #1 is to make sure you're in secure more, all error checking stuff set to maximum. then get the offsets right and test them to really put the icing on the cake.
Alright thanks. Should I dl the beta version?

Five
2006-12-23, 02:02 AM
yeah, baby

taparoo
2006-12-23, 02:58 PM
I installed EAC but it runs REALLY slow. Is there something wrong?

Five
2006-12-23, 03:14 PM
it likes to rip slowly in order not to make mistakes

check the .log to see if there is anything wrong.

you can post the results here for translation

taparoo
2007-01-01, 03:06 AM
Okay, I finally got off my lazy behind and gave this another go. I renamed the tracks, and now I want to extract them to my hard drive. I go to Action -> Copy Selected Tracks, and then I get 2 options: "uncompressed" and "compressed". I'm supposed to do uncompressed, right (F5)? Well, that's what I'm going with (uncompressed) until I check back

Oh, and I want to save the tracks as mp3, right? :hmm:

taparoo
2007-01-01, 03:43 AM
Woah. Reading the EAC tutorial in your sig and some of it is confusing. I'm trying to configure the LAME encoding options. I'm at the part where I choose either VBR or CBR encoding. I'm guessing VBR would be the best bet for me... I'm using LAME version 3.97, so would I go with the bitrate for version 3.90a and put --nspsytune --vbr-mtrh -V1 -mj -h -b96 --lowpass 19.5 --athtype 3 --ns-sfb21 2 -Z --scale 0.98 in the "additional command line options"? Thanks in advance for the help. :wave:

Five
2007-01-01, 04:04 AM
no, you for sure want to avoid saving as mp3. that's probably what's taking so long, and if you encode it to mp3 just put that on your ipod and don't share it with anybody. also AAC or OGG are preferable for listening, but not tradeable either.

if you want to share it here stick with WAV then convert to FLAC using FFE or TLH.

taparoo
2007-01-01, 04:10 AM
no, you for sure want to avoid saving as mp3. that's probably what's taking so long, and if you encode it to mp3 just put that on your ipod and don't share it with anybody. also AAC or OGG are preferable for listening, but not tradeable either.

if you want to share it here stick with WAV then convert to FLAC using FFE or TLH.
Okay, so I go Action -> Copy Selected Tracks, then it only gives me the option to save as .wav, which is good right? I tried that a few minutes ago and it said that about 30 hours were left. It's not supposed to take THAT long, is it? I'm using lame 3.97 by the way. And I'm pretty sure I configured the bitrate thing correctly for VBR. Should I use VBR or CBR?

Five
2007-01-01, 04:14 AM
If you're planning on sharing it, do not use Lame. save it as wav. do not use lame!

if you need mp3 for your ipod try all the settings until you find something that sounds good to your ears in your walkman but do not share it.

Five
2007-01-01, 04:16 AM
1st off, are you in secure mode and have you determined the read and write offsets?

taparoo
2007-01-01, 04:20 AM
If you're planning on sharing it, do not use Lame. save it as wav. do not use lame!

if you need mp3 for your ipod try all the settings until you find something that sounds good to your ears in your walkman but do not share it.
Oh! Okay, so under EAC>Compression Options>External Compression don't click the box that says "Use external program for compression"? Then it will encode the files to .wav?

taparoo
2007-01-01, 04:27 AM
1st off, are you in secure mode and have you determined the read and write offsets?
Yes, I'm in secure mode, and I haven't determined the read/write offsets. I need to do that. I didn't see that until you just mentioned it. I'lll do that first and get back to you. And thank you so much for the help. :thumbsup

Five
2007-01-01, 12:59 PM
no probs... post back as many times as you have to I will help you get it just right

willndmb
2007-01-01, 03:05 PM
screw eac and use xact for pc and mac :)

Five
2007-01-01, 03:20 PM
xAct for PC?

I could only find this cached page, looks like it hasn't been under development for almost a decade
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:0-cjm-juTgIJ:zombie.imsb.au.dk/xact/+xact+pc&hl=en&gl=ca&ct=clnk&cd=4&client=firefox-a

I would love to try xAct for PC has anybody acutally used this and/or know where the current version is hosted for download?

U2Lynne
2007-01-01, 03:31 PM
Ack, Five! I don't know what link is to, but it stalled my browser and I had to Force Quit.

As far as I know, Scott only does development on xACT for Mac users. It is available for download on versiontracker: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21952 I just did a search on versiontracker for xACT on Windows and didn't come up with anything. Scott, the developer of xACT, runs a yahoogroup for xACT users and the description for the group is "List for discussion about xACT for Mac OS X. Announcements about new versions will also be made here." So, if there is another xACT for PC users, my guess is that it isn't related in anyway.

taparoo
2007-01-01, 03:43 PM
Okay... turns out I wasn't in Secure mode. I thought for sure I was, but alright... I click on secure mode under "Extraction Method" and there is an option "Drive is capable of retrieving C2 error information", should I check that box or not?

ffooky
2007-01-01, 04:20 PM
On a (fairly) related note, shntool 3.0 was released today and it has some tasty new features (http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shntool/support/doc/ChangeLog) so I'd expect a new xACT some time soon :)

Five
2007-01-01, 04:30 PM
Okay... turns out I wasn't in Secure mode. I thought for sure I was, but alright... I click on secure mode under "Extraction Method" and there is an option "Drive is capable of retrieving C2 error information", should I check that box or not?
depends if your drive has c2 capabilities... if in doubt, leave it unchecked, also worth mentioning is that there are some ppl who say it is a bad thing to use even if your drive supports c2. so best to leave it unchecked unless/until you've thoroughly tested it with your computer's configuration.

willndmb
2007-01-01, 09:31 PM
xACT for PC
it works just as good as it does for Mac, at least for me
i trashed eac, flac frontend, mkw all that stuff for xACT
http://199.224.117.240/~scb/index.php?path=xactwin/

U2Lynne
2007-01-01, 10:01 PM
Wait.... Will.... I thought you were a Mac user?

Wow. I never knew Scott was developing for the dark side too (kidding).

But seriously, it looks like he is keeping up with the development of the PC app as well as the mac app. Why have I never seen him mention this?

spiritinaphoto
2007-01-01, 11:14 PM

But seriously, it looks like he is keeping up with the development of the PC app as well as the mac app. Why have I never seen him mention this?
Maybe you should ask him if he can develop a Linux version. Seriously, it's in Java (or at least the Windows version is), which ports pretty well.

I tried to run it under Wine and discovered much to my dismay it required a Windows version of JRE to run, and JRE doesn't work too well under Wine. Bummer--I wanted to test the Windows binary.

willndmb
2007-01-02, 12:37 PM

i am, but i have had to use PC for stuff at friends houses and such
since they don't know all about this music stuff anyway its much easier for them to have 1 program vs 3 or more too

taparoo
2007-01-02, 12:59 PM
i am, but i have had to use PC for stuff at friends houses and such
since they don't know all about this music stuff anyway its much easier for them to have 1 program vs 3 or more too
So it's basically just the same thing as TLH. Doesn't look like it helps me with importing audio.

AAR.oner
2007-01-02, 05:53 PM
So it's basically just the same thing as TLH. Doesn't look like it helps me with importing audio.
it imports...click the "UTIL" tab, then "CD Extraction"

U2Lynne
2007-01-02, 07:26 PM
He he. No, TLH is basically the same thing as xACT. xACT was around for quite awhile before TLH. :)

As Aaron said, just go to the util tab, drag in the tracks you want to extract, and it will extract them. Make sure to take a look at the log file to make sure they all were extracted without problems. I also like to copy the log file into a text editor and save it (as "whatever.log") and seed it with the show.

taparoo
2007-01-02, 07:49 PM
it imports...click the "UTIL" tab, then "CD Extraction"
I used the link willndmb gave (http://199.224.117.240/~scb/index.php?path=xactwin/), dl'd the latest version, the one at the bottom, extracted the files. I go to the 'util' tab and it has a blank list on the left side, 'add files' and 'clear files' on the bottom, and on the right it says 'not yet implemented'. When I dl'd the zipped folder there were some other folders in there with some other files, so should I install something first?

AAR.oner
2007-01-03, 05:59 AM
I used the link willndmb gave (http://199.224.117.240/~scb/index.php?path=xactwin/), dl'd the latest version, the one at the bottom, extracted the files. I go to the 'util' tab and it has a blank list on the left side, 'add files' and 'clear files' on the bottom, and on the right it says 'not yet implemented'. When I dl'd the zipped folder there were some other folders in there with some other files, so should I install something first?
ahhh, yer using a PC [i've only got experience with the Mac side of xACT]...he must have not included that feature in the windows version

i would stick with EAC on a PC anyway, since it has the ability to set read/write offsets, etc