PDA

View Full Version : Extracting from a DVD with TMPGenc DVD Author Pro

greenie44
2006-12-12, 02:02 PM
I seem to recall that an earlier version of this software let you just point to a DVD and import it into the authoring environment. But the current version I have does not work this way - when I use the DVD choice in the source wizard and select either the drive or the VIDEO_TS folder, I get an error.

Is there some intermediary step I can do? I'm trying to reauthor a DVD I got with both Richard Thompson and C.J. Chenier, which I will happily seed up here if I can figure out how to import the sucker.

Thanks in advance.

saltman
2006-12-12, 03:08 PM
you could use tmpgenc xpress mpeg tools and demux then remux to mpeg2 and use it with sony dvd author. I seem to remember TMPGenc working just like you described but it's been years since I used it. DVDLab and Adobe Premiere allow you to use .vob directly... Sony DVD Architect doesn't hence the xtra steps.

greenie44
2006-12-13, 07:04 AM
Thanks saltman. With your advice, I went and got DVDLab. In using it, it appears the first VOB file has a problem - it plays fine, but I get an error saying that it is not the right stream type and that there might be a header error. (Which may have been the problem with TMPGenc the whole time.) I'm going to try backing it up with DVD-Shrink and reburning to see if that helps.

Thanks for your suggestion - I might just get there.

greenie44
2006-12-13, 11:34 AM
Hey, I used DVD Shrink to back it up, reburned it, and now it's all fine. I think the problem with TMPGEnc was the invalid file, since it works now like it used to (and should). Not the greatest error handling, but it still came through.

Thanks for your help.