PDA

View Full Version : Question on seeding etiquette...

byrd
2006-11-08, 08:51 AM
I haven't been here at The Traders' Den for very long, but after about a week or so, I've started to wonder what the preferred etiquette is for seeding shows. My ratio is currently above 2, and I know it's not really enforced here, so that's not really an issue.

I'm currently seeding 3 shows here at the Traders' Den (I'm also seeding a few shows on DIME). Two of the shows here only have 2 other seeders, and one of those shows has been inactive for a couple days. I try to make sure that my ratio for each individual show is at least 2 before I stop seeding any particular show. However, after I reach this goal, I kind of feel bad taking a seed down if there's only 1 or 2 other seeds, even if there are no current leechers.

All my downloading activity is done on my computer at work (I have dial-up at home), and while the folks I work for have no problem with me downloading and seeding shows, I can't really take up Gigs and Gigs of space seeding lots and lots of shows for an overly lengthy period of time. At the same time, I feel bad taking down a seed when there are so few already sharing.

So what is the general etiquette for maintaining the availability of a seed, while at the same time not being "door mat" for lots of "hit and run" leechers?

Boy, that was a long post for one question! :lol:

Thanks!
Bryan

ohkeepa
2006-11-08, 09:12 AM
I would say you are fine :thumbsup if there hasn't been a leecher in a couple days then I don't see the prob leaving the torrent if you have a good ratio and there are other seeders

thanks for being part of the community

byrd
2006-11-08, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the response! For the sake of argument... What if I'm the LAST seed? How long would be reasonable to stick around with no activity before throwing in the towel for a particular seed?

From what I've seen so far, folks here are great about putting a seed back up upon request if none are available, but I'm sure that not having to worry about that situation would be preferable if possible.

Thanks again!

U2Lynne
2006-11-08, 11:45 AM
There have been times where I am the last seed but noone is on the show and so I've stopped and archived my stuff only to see someone else come along and want to grab the show. At that point, I usually wait a day to see if someone else will hop on to seed, and if not I put my show back on my drive and seed it. I usually also post in the thread something like "username, I've hopped back onto this torrent so you may grab the show. Please continue to seed it for other new people after you complete it." I just like to let them know that they should seed it for newbs since I came and seeded it for them.

It's hard for me to come up with some general 'rule' because I don't think I actually use one or have ever consciously come up with one. I think I just watch the shows in Azureus and check the Orphaned Torrents List (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/torrents.php?tor=orphans) every once in a while.