PDA

View Full Version : How to bypass my schools firewall?

jacobtm
2006-10-23, 02:47 AM
So I just signed up here, trying to download the Red Hot Chili Peppers show from 2006-10-21 that I just attended, and I'm getting the message that I'm Firewalled. I have my personal firewall off, but I'm not great with computers in general. My friend suggested that the University I attend and get my interent through (Suny Binghamton), is somehow responsible for it. I'm downloading the show, but at a rate ranging from 200bps-3kbps. I can't upload much faster than like 7kbps.

Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks,
Jacob

TheMamba
2006-10-23, 06:07 AM
No, other then trying to change your BT client to using a different port.

What BT program are you using?

jacobtm
2006-10-23, 12:27 PM
I'm using Azereus. In the Connection settings, it says I'm using the "Incoming TCP / UDP listen port 53166". Does that help?

U2Lynne
2006-10-23, 02:04 PM
If you are already using a non-standard bt port, then I don't think there is anyway around the problem. The only other thing I can think of to try is Options > Connection > Transport Encrytion and turn it on. Try playing with the settings there and see if it makes any difference at all.

jacobtm
2006-10-23, 04:50 PM
Is there a reason that I can download and upload at all? Why, if I'm being firewalled, would the school just let me upload and download really slow?

SundayDriver
2006-10-23, 05:07 PM
I have the same issues which is why my ratio is always down the crapper. :rolleyes:

Download speeds will be slower because your school's firewall only allows you to connect to certain unfirewalled peers on the downloading torrent.

And then, if download speeds are slow, just imagine what upload speeds are. They are even slower...snail speed. If you can manage to find a good unfirewalled peer the speed will really pick up (250-400 kb/s) but this is rare.

Don't forget also that since you are on a network, the speeds will vary with internet usage of the whole network. I've seen the speeds pick up after say...1 AM. But from about 3 PM to 11 PM it can be quite slow.