PDA

View Full Version : Right channel louder

Punkishlyevil
2006-08-18, 12:37 PM
So I recorded a few shows at Lollapalooza and the right channel was a tiny bit louder on pretty much all of them. I'm doing all my transferring in Cool Edit 2.0 and I'm wondering if there is a way to have the program look at the whole channel and tell me an average loudness of it so I can amp the left channel to about the same level. The difference between the two isn't a huge thing, but when looking at the wave form, you can definitely see it.

Five
2006-08-18, 05:56 PM
open the entire show in one large waveform before you make any adjustments. go to Analyze > Statistics. One more thing, it is better to adjust the balance & levels during the A>D process (use windows mixer).

Punkishlyevil
2006-08-18, 07:29 PM
This is what I got:
http://www.seveninchsingle.com/hosted/rightlouderthanleft.jpg
How can I tell how much I should amp the left?

Five
2006-08-18, 08:52 PM
are those stats right? you've got so many clipped samples you shouldn't raise anything, you should lower both (lower the right more) and re-transfer. you can set the balance by watching the meters when you do the original A>D again.

Punkishlyevil
2006-08-19, 10:44 AM
The only clipped samples are from someone who screamed right next to the mics after the song. The actual music isn't clipped at all, just once in a while the clapping between songs is. I didn't think it was worth it to have a really quite transfer just to have someone screaming not clipped so I allowed it to transfer just quiet enough that the music never does so it is at a decent volume, just the left is lower by a little. But anyway, for future reference, how do I read those stats so I know what to amplify by?