PDA

View Full Version : Determining vdeo and audio bitrate and audio codec

greenie44
2006-08-10, 02:38 PM
I am hoping to seed a nice 3 DVD set of Bruce Springsteen in Passaic on September 20, 1978. I took a set I downloaded a couple of years ago and reauthored it.

It looks like I need the video bitrate and the audio bitrate and codec. I read somewhere that G Spot could tell you this. I installed G Spot and picked one of the .VOB files, but it didn't show any of this information.

Am I picking the wrong file, or do I need to do something else? Thanks in advance.

AAR.oner
2006-08-10, 03:08 PM
the info will be displayed in the main window [i don't have a PC set up right now to give more specifics]...audio should say PCM or AC3 [most likely] with a bit rate [typically 1.5Mbps for PCM, or 256 and up kbps for AC3] ...video should be either VBR or CBR with a Mbps [i think Gspot lists it in kbps, so it'll read a few thousand kbps, if i remember correct]

greenie44
2006-08-10, 03:28 PM
Thanks, AAR.oner, but the problem is that both the video and audio sections on the right of the main window do not contain information. All of the sections have n.a., which I assume means 'not applicable'. I am selecting various .VOB files to get this result.

Do I have to select a different file, or how can I select the whole disk? If there is some other tool that can give me the info, I'll get it and start.

If I use IfoEdit, I get that the audio is Dolby AC-3 at 48Kbps, and can't find any video info, aside from MPEG-2 7210x480. Is this what I need?

AAR.oner
2006-08-10, 03:43 PM
i ran across that a few times using GSpot, dunno a fix...maybe some else does

typically, AC3 audio is somewhere between 128kbps and 384kbps...i wonder if the 48K yer seeing is reffereing to 48kHz :hmm:

as for the video info, thats telling you that the files are MPEG2 [standard DVD format] and 720x480 is the frame rate for NTSC format [fwiw, PAL is 720x576]

hopefully someone else can recommend a prog you can use for Windows machines...if you have PowerDVD as a viewer it'll give you specs, as will Nero's Showtime viewer

greenie44
2006-08-10, 05:19 PM
Thanks again, AAR.oner. I grabbed the trial version of PowerDVD and got the info I think I need. Once I get through with checking the master md5 file, I'll start to seed.

AAR.oner
2006-08-10, 05:22 PM
werd, sorry i couldn't be of more assistance...i've only got Macs out and running now

let us know if you need anything else, and thanks for seeding :thumbsup

U2Lynne
2006-08-10, 05:47 PM
I wonder if perhaps you need to reinstall it? The VOB you need to use is one of the big ones (the ones close to 1GB). Unfortunately, like Aaron, I'm a Mac user too so I won't be much help for you.