PDA

View Full Version : New to imac. Looking for a little advice

reece
2006-06-12, 11:44 AM
So we just got an imac. I've searched around but I still need a couple of nudges in the right direction. So, here is what I know so far:

xACT to replace TLH and EAC

Cog replaces foobar2K

vlc (seems to work better now than on my PC)

Audacity

Toast - What is the best free equivalent until I can buy Toast?

Okay. I'm having trouble with a BT client. I've tried Transmission, Tomato and the official client. I think I like the official best but none will allow selecting individual files for downloading. I also tried azureus but it only bounces that frog in my dock, and then it disappears.

DVD43 (http://www.dvd43.com/) - Is there a comparable program for mac?

CD Wave - anything that splits on sector boundaries for mac?

DVD Shrink - any equivalent?

Anyone have experience with the .mac membership? Is it worth it and why?

Thanks in advance. :wave:

U2Lynne
2006-06-12, 12:15 PM
I use Azureus for my BT client. I have an 800 MHz G4 with only 768 MB RAM, so if you have a more recent mac (I think mine is three years old), you should have no problems running it. It will allow you to select individual tracks.

MissingMediaBurner (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16799) is an alternative to Toast, however I think I read it doesn't work for OS 10.4, but I'm not positive.

Popcorn (by Roxio - they make Toast, Jam, and Popcorn :cool: ) would shrink a video for burning. But, I think Toast 7 incorporates Popcorn and will shrink the video now.

reece
2006-06-12, 02:14 PM
Thanks Lynne.

Azureus won't do anything for me. I download it, then click the .dmg file and the frog shows up. I click on a torrent file and the frog bounces in my dock and nothing else happens. Does this sound familiar? I can't open it to change preferences or anything. From what I hear, Azureus is what I need but there is something I'm not doing properly, I guess.

U2Lynne
2006-06-12, 03:17 PM
When you opened the dmg, did you then drag Azureus to your applications folder? You don't want to launch it from the dmg. And then, for some reason, in the latest version, if you double-click the torrent file, it will not start up in Azureus. You need to open Azureus and then drag the torrent file to the top of the window. They must have broken something in the last release because it used to work correctly.

saltman
2006-06-12, 03:24 PM
traitor. you have forsaken all of us. :lol

reece
2006-06-12, 04:57 PM
traitor. you have forsaken all of us. :lol

:lol

walter2
2006-06-12, 04:57 PM
yes, toast 7 incorporates popcorn, look on eBay for like toast 6 and popcorn, i think theyre real cheap.

DVD Shrink - any equivalent? yes, get "mac the ripper"

and as far as the .mac, ive never had it, but it sure looks like a waste of $99 to me!

Chachi420
2006-06-12, 05:03 PM
if the 'frog' icon for azureus bounces on mac, then that might just be the only reason that I'd want to switch to mac! :lol

U2Lynne
2006-06-12, 06:00 PM
if the 'frog' icon for azureus bounces on mac, then that might just be the only reason that I'd want to switch to mac! :lol
:roflol:

All the dock icons can 'bounce' on a mac when the application is opening or needs your attention. :)

walter2
2006-06-12, 08:00 PM
though if it bounces in your dock, nothing happens, and it doesnt show a little triangle under it when its done bouncing, youve got problems.... it happened to me with xACT, i got the newest version, and that happened to me, turned out that the newest version is for OSX 10.4, whereas im running 10.3.9, therefore the newest version wouldnt work, i went and found an earlier version of the program and it worked fine.

So, that program might not be supported at all or possibly, check the specs on what youre running against what the program says its built for and you may just need to upgrade/downgrade the version youre trying to use

reece
2006-06-13, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the advice Walter.

It seems to be a problem azureus is having with the intel macs. There are a few versions here (http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Intel_Macs#Specific_SWT_version) for intel macs.

I used the universal binary. I had some problems at first. It would close itself, I'd get an error message with the option to reopen. Then it would happen again, I then get the option to retry. This happened a few times and then it just started working. Then I realized there were other versions on that site. :duh:

U2Lynne
2006-06-13, 10:54 AM
So you finally got Azureus to work? Good! It's by far the best mac client.

So, what other types of software do you need recommendations for?

reece
2006-06-13, 11:38 AM
So you finally got Azureus to work? Good! It's by far the best mac client.

So, what other types of software do you need recommendations for?

One thing I haven't figured out is how to get these icons (azureus, cog, etc) off of the desktop. I dragged them to the applications folder but it only puts a shortcut there.

Is there software that will play 24 bit, or higher, audio files, and does the mac support 24 bit playback?

Does Toast handle decryption or do I need something separate?

Do you use Safari or is there something better?

Do I need firewall and antivirus software?

U2Lynne
2006-06-13, 11:53 AM
One thing I haven't figured out is how to get these icons (azureus, cog, etc) off of the desktop. I dragged them to the applications folder but it only puts a shortcut there.
Perhaps the icons on the desktop are shortcuts themselves? Do an apple key + i (info) on them. It should say whether it is an application or a shortcut. If they are just shortcuts, then you can throw them away. I like to keep Azureus and Cog in my dock since I use them often (when you have them up and running, do a control + click on them (or right click if you have a two button mouse) and then you can say 'keep in dock'.

Is there software that will play 24 bit, or higher, audio files, and does the mac support 24 bit playback?
I have no idea. I've always just used cog and iTunes to play the files I have.

Does Toast handle decryption or do I need something separate?
Again, I don't know. I just use Toast to burn CDs and DVDs, nothing else.

Do you use Safari or is there something better?
I use firefox because I just Looooooovvvveeeee the extensions for it.

Do I need firewall and antivirus software?
My router acts as a firewall, so I have my System firewall off and I don't use any anitivirus protection.

reece
2006-06-13, 01:50 PM
Perhaps the icons on the desktop are shortcuts themselves? Do an apple key + i (info) on them. It should say whether it is an application or a shortcut. If they are just shortcuts, then you can throw them away. I like to keep Azureus and Cog in my dock since I use them often (when you have them up and running, do a control + click on them (or right click if you have a two button mouse) and then you can say 'keep in dock'.

I have no idea. I've always just used cog and iTunes to play the files I have.

Again, I don't know. I just use Toast to burn CDs and DVDs, nothing else.

I use firefox because I just Looooooovvvveeeee the extensions for it.

My router acts as a firewall, so I have my System firewall off and I don't use any anitivirus protection.

I did the 'keep in dock' but the are still on the desktop. 'get info' says it is a 'volume,' while the shortcuts in the applications folder are called 'alias.'

So, will Toast copy officially released DVDs that are 'copy protected?' DVD43 would get around the copy protection so I could back-up the ones I purchased (using Nero or whatever).

What are these extensions for firefox?

U2Lynne
2006-06-13, 02:00 PM
I did the 'keep in dock' but the are still on the desktop. 'get info' says it is a 'volume,' while the shortcuts in the applications folder are called 'alias.'
Ahhhh. I think they are the dmg. If you click on one and start to drag it, does your trash can turn into an upward arrow? If you, then you can simply unmount the volumes by dragging them to the trash.

So, will Toast copy officially released DVDs that are 'copy protected?' DVD43 would get around the copy protection so I could back-up the ones I purchased (using Nero or whatever).
I don't know. I've never tried to copy any officially released DVDs. I think you need another application to do that though. They would have them listed over at videohelp.com, I'm sure.

What are these extensions for firefox?
You've never used firefox before?!?! I could not do without my BBCode extension. It makes posting links on this site soooooo easy. I also love my Forecastfox extension and Tabbrowser one and BugMeNot and ..... there was a thread started once where people listed their favorite firefox extensions.

reece
2006-06-13, 03:49 PM
Ahhhh. I think they are the dmg. If you click on one and start to drag it, does your trash can turn into an upward arrow? If you, then you can simply unmount the volumes by dragging them to the trash.

I don't know. I've never tried to copy any officially released DVDs. I think you need another application to do that though. They would have them listed over at videohelp.com, I'm sure.

You've never used firefox before?!?! I could not do without my BBCode extension. It makes posting links on this site soooooo easy. I also love my Forecastfox extension and Tabbrowser one and BugMeNot and ..... there was a thread started once where people listed their favorite firefox extensions.

Yeah, it turns into the arrow. I quit the program and then unmounted the dmg but whenever I open one it shows up on the desktop again. This is only happening with software I've downloaded. The applications that came with the imac are only on the dock. Is this normal? When I installed them, I wasn't given an option of where to install.

U2Lynne
2006-06-13, 05:26 PM
Take the application from the dmg and drag them into the applications folder (I actually created a folder in my Applications folder called 'Azureus' and 'cog' for their respective applications). Then, launch the application from the Application folder. Then, keep that one in the dock, not the one from the dmg. Then you should be able to unmount the dmg and it shouldn't come back when you launch the application again.

reece
2006-06-14, 11:17 AM
Thanks Lynne. That works perfectly.

walter2
2006-06-15, 05:06 PM

you need to get a program called "mactheripper" it extracts the files from the dvd, then you can burn it with toast. Toast will not extract anything for you.

get it here:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715

reece
2006-06-15, 06:09 PM
you need to get a program called "mactheripper" it extracts the files from the dvd, then you can burn it with toast. Toast will not extract anything for you.

get it here:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715

Thanks. I have it but haven't tried it yet. Many good reviews though. Just ordered Toast from Amazon (71 bucks including 1 day shipping).

Scott
2006-06-19, 12:10 AM
So I downloaded COG as my replacement for foobar. When i drop a FLAC file into COG and play, I get nothing but hiss. Any ideas?

U2Lynne
2006-06-19, 12:13 AM
weird. Did you verify it? I've never had that happen. :hmm:

Scott
2006-06-19, 05:18 PM
Lynn, I got it sorted out - bad files.

Another question: In the past, with windows, I used Outlook to handle contacts, email, calander etc. What mac program is comparable to outlook?

U2Lynne
2006-06-19, 06:10 PM
Well, I'm a gmail person mostly, so I've just use the regular Apple Mail that came with my Mac for my pop account email. I did at one time try Mozilla thunderbird and it looked very much like Outlook. It's by the same people who did Firefox.
http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

HDvorak
2006-06-19, 09:07 PM
Yeah, it turns into the arrow. I quit the program and then unmounted the dmg but whenever I open one it shows up on the desktop again. This is only happening with software I've downloaded. The applications that came with the imac are only on the dock. Is this normal? When I installed them, I wasn't given an option of where to install.

I'm a new convert too, and am probably gonna ask a lot of real stupid questions. I've got an Intel based Imac and went to this site http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Intel_Macs
Do I need to get both the Universal Binary Version and Generic OS X DMG?

I downloaded the specific SWT version and I got this file
org.eclipse.swt.carbon.macosx.ppc_3.2.0.jar
The directions say to "extract it and then zip the 'org' directory naming the output file 'swt.jar" :hmm:

Despite not figuring out the above step. I went ahead and tried opening the app file. I was having the same 'alias' problems as Reece and through Lynn's help got my Azureus.app file in Applications, but I still get the bouncing and disappearing frog. Do I unmount (delete?) the dmg file, which I moved to the applications folder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HD

reece
2006-06-19, 09:54 PM
I'm a new convert too, and am probably gonna ask a lot of real stupid questions. I've got an Intel based Imac and went to this site http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Intel_Macs
Do I need to get both the Universal Binary Version and Generic OS X DMG?

I downloaded the specific SWT version and I got this file
org.eclipse.swt.carbon.macosx.ppc_3.2.0.jar
The directions say to "extract it and then zip the 'org' directory naming the output file 'swt.jar" :hmm:

Despite not figuring out the above step. I went ahead and tried opening the app file. I was having the same 'alias' problems as Reece and through Lynn's help got my Azureus.app file in Applications, but I still get the bouncing and disappearing frog. Do I unmount (delete?) the dmg file, which I moved to the applications folder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HD

Lynne explained the apps on the desktop thing pretty well.

As far as the disappearing frog, install the universal version. Every time I opened it I got a message saying it needed to update a .jar file but it wouldn't update for some reason. Azureus worked fine though so I ignored it. After a while I tried again and it updated with no problem.

HDvorak
2006-06-19, 10:51 PM
Lynne explained the apps on the desktop thing pretty well.

As far as the disappearing frog, install the universal version. Every time I opened it I got a message saying it needed to update a .jar file but it wouldn't update for some reason. Azureus worked fine though so I ignored it. After a while I tried again and it updated with no problem.

:clap:

Looks like this did the job! After fartin' around forever and getting the same no result, it's always a shock when your program actually gets installed correctly! :lol:

Much thanks Lynn and Reece!

Now....another question! :hmm:

I'm trying to clear my ports. I went to the usual site, and clicked my router
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WGR614v5/Azureus.htm
The window screen shows pull down menus that don't jibe with my setup. I need to go tools>options. I tried various things, but couldn't get to that window where I could enter a port number.

U2Lynne
2006-06-19, 10:54 PM
Are you sure you have the firmware updated to version 5 (you had selected WGR614v5)? If not, either update the firmware or else select the correct version of your firmware for that router.

HDvorak
2006-06-19, 11:08 PM
Are you sure you have the firmware updated to version 5 (you had selected WGR614v5)? If not, either update the firmware or else select the correct version of your firmware for that router.

Firmware is good. When I click on Azureus I get the following headers for pulldown menus.

Azureus File View Transfers Plugins Windows Help

I'm guessing that it's just a Mac version of the pulldowns? I'll read up on the website more tomorrow. Now it's time for bed. ;)

Thanks for the help guys and gals!

U2Lynne
2006-06-20, 10:30 AM
Ah, I was thinking your router looked different. The PC version of Azureus does look a little different.

To input your port number: Azureus > Preferences will put an Options tab in the window. Options > Connection will give you the window to enter your port number.

HDvorak
2006-06-20, 10:04 PM
Ah, I was thinking your router looked different. The PC version of Azureus does look a little different.

To input your port number: Azureus > Preferences will put an Options tab in the window. Options > Connection will give you the window to enter your port number.

Awwwwwright!!! I'm a rockin' and a rollin' now. Azureus is a quite the detailed torrenting program. I'll have to investigate it in detail.

Much thanks for the help Lynn. You are one sweet apple! :D

reece
2006-06-23, 07:18 PM
Okay, I have Toast Titanium 7 and I burned my first cd. It was set to DAO but there are gaps between tracks. Toast Help says DAO allows for pauses up to 8 seconds where TAO places 2 second pauses. I can select DAO but I cannot (or haven't) figured adjust the length of the pause. Can anyone help with this?

U2Lynne
2006-06-23, 07:24 PM
Just click on where it says "2 sec" and a window will pop up with several different options for pauses. You can select several tracks and then click on "2 sec" and select "0 sec". The first track must say "2 sec".

reece
2006-06-23, 07:48 PM
Just click on where it says "2 sec" and a window will pop up with several different options for pauses. You can select several tracks and then click on "2 sec" and select "0 sec". The first track must say "2 sec".

I thought you were onvacation?

Thanks, I was just coming back to say I found it. Funny that it doesn't say in the help file (or maybe I just couldn't find it).

Evenreven
2006-06-26, 06:25 AM
Does Toast 7 support no-gap burning of non-wav files (e.g. Apple lossless)? Toast 6 has a problem with that, IIRC, it just adds 2 sec pauses even if you selected 0 sec. Works fine with wav files, though. Anyway, that's why I switched to Jam for audio burning. Jam is the shit.

U2Lynne
2006-06-26, 10:01 AM
Is Jam available to work with Toast 7? I used to love Jam also, but when I upgraded to Toast 7, suddenly there didn't seem to be any Jam around.

ffooky
2006-06-26, 12:38 PM
Toast 7 is 100% gapless (with gapless source files, natch) and Jam 6.0.3 seems happy enough with it.

Evenreven
2006-06-27, 05:18 AM
Is Jam available to work with Toast 7? I used to love Jam also, but when I upgraded to Toast 7, suddenly there didn't seem to be any Jam around.
So it's just gone? I use Jam a lot for mix cds and compilations, probably all in all more than Toast, to be honest. It's great for normalizing different tracks without clipping and all that, and the crossfade tools are good and intuitive too. If there is no Jam 7, I don't think I even want to upgrade, flac support be damned.

Evenreven
2006-06-27, 05:21 AM
Toast 7 is 100% gapless (with gapless source files, natch) and Jam 6.0.3 seems happy enough with it.
I meant that it used to insert two second pauses between tracks, gapless or not, EVEN if you selected no pauses. Annoying as hell. But it was only with other quicktime compatible files than wav or aiff, so I used to convert to wav before burning. Jam didn't do this, though. One of the reasons I switched to Jam for audio burning.

edit: Toast 5 and 6, that is. Maybe it was just a bug that got fixed in an update. Because of Jam, I haven't tried audio burning with Toast for years.

U2Lynne
2006-06-27, 11:03 AM
edit: Toast 5 and 6, that is. Maybe it was just a bug that got fixed in an update. Because of Jam, I haven't tried audio burning with Toast for years.
Hmmm, I need to go find where I put Jam, but if I recall, the last version I had worked *with* Toast. You would get everything set up in Jam, hit record, and it would open up Toast to go burn the files.

ffooky
2006-06-27, 12:25 PM
Jam 6.0.3 basically includes the Toast burning engine. When you hit the record button everything is the same as Toast but with the Jam icon. No FLAC support though :(

Scott
2006-06-28, 12:09 AM
After checking out Version tracker...what are the "must have" apps for mac?

ffooky
2006-06-28, 09:01 AM
For torrents, newsgroups and wrangling the files obtained:

Azureus
xACT or Max
Cog
Toast 7
Audacity
CDFinder
VLC
MPEG Streamclip
ffmpegX
Thoth or Hogwasher
UnRarX

Scott
2006-06-28, 11:25 AM
:thumbsup :cool:

zosa
2006-06-28, 02:14 PM
I'll second these:

Azureus
xACT
Toast 7
VLC
ffmpegX

Scott
2006-07-05, 06:53 PM
Audio Ripper from DVD's for MAC...What program?

Also, Is there a DVD Decrypter for macs as well?

ffooky
2006-07-06, 01:39 AM
If you want to preserve chapter/track splits, open the VIDEO_TS/disc in the Media Browser of Toast 7's Video tab, drag the tracks across to the main window, select them all and hit the Export button. Choose your format, sample rate etc and let it rip.

N.B. For a VIDEO_TS to be available to the browser it must be either in your ~/Movies directory or on the desktop, unwrapped.

The Decrypter equivalent is MacTheRipper (http://www.ripdifferent.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=95).

Scott
2006-07-07, 09:07 AM
:thumbsup :thumbsup

reece
2006-07-09, 01:32 AM
Okay, I have another problem.

I cannot connect to certain websites. I get a "problem loading page"/"unable to connect to..."

For instance, I can get onto real.com but when I try and download the player I get unable to connect to forms.real.com

I cannot connect to http://hydrogenaudio.org/

I can get to this page: http://mac.sofotex.com/downloads/d129443.html
but when I click the download link it says unable to connect to widget.mattvestal.com.

The page loads at www.ebay.com but all of the images won't. They say unable to connect to server at us.ebayobjects.com.

I've pinged these sites and I get a "no route to host."

I'be pinged ebay and I get

ping: cannot resolve wwww.ebay.com: Unknown host

I've pinged TTD and other sites which I have no problem connectting with and I get

64 bytes from 69.61.60.11: icmp_seq=0 ttl=51 time=106.134 ms
64 bytes from 69.61.60.11: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=107.297 ms
64 bytes from 69.61.60.11: icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=105.246 ms
64 bytes from 69.61.60.11: icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=107.010 ms
64 bytes from 69.61.60.11: icmp_seq=4 ttl=51 time=108.942 ms
64 bytes from 69.61.60.11: icmp_seq=5 ttl=51 time=104.626 ms
64 bytes from 69.61.60.11: icmp_seq=6 ttl=51 time=105.808 ms
64 bytes from 69.61.60.11: icmp_seq=7 ttl=51 time=106.138 ms
64 bytes from 69.61.60.11: icmp_seq=8 ttl=51 time=106.991 ms

:hmm:

Thanks for any help

ffooky
2006-07-09, 08:06 AM
Are you running a router/firewall/Little Snitch ?

U2Lynne
2006-07-09, 10:57 AM
What ffooky says. But also, what browser? And have you tried the same websites using a different one? If you are running firefox, do you have any extensions installed that might only allow certain websites and not others? (Also, in firefox > preferences > content, do you have load images checked? and For the originating web site only? That one might cause the image problem with ebay that you have.)

reece
2006-07-09, 01:20 PM
I do have a router. It's a Linksys VOIP router. I had to re-forward the ports when I switched to the imac. I'm using firefox but I have tried the same sites with safari and I get the same reply. The only extension I had added was a "videodownloader" thingy. When I tried to access it I'd get an unable to connect to videodownloader.net. I've removed the extension.

In firefox the "load images" box is checked and the "originating web site" box is not. Should it be?

Thanks guys.

U2Lynne
2006-07-09, 01:37 PM
In firefox the "load images" box is checked and the "originating web site" box is not. Should it be?
No, it should not.

Do you have some sort of parental controls being used? It's like certain sites are being blocked from you for some reason. If it's happening with both browsers, then it isn't a browser thing, it's a computer or router thing. Did you used to be able to get to those sites when you first started using your mac?

reece
2006-07-09, 02:18 PM
No, it should not.

Do you have some sort of parental controls being used? It's like certain sites are being blocked from you for some reason. If it's happening with both browsers, then it isn't a browser thing, it's a computer or router thing. Did you used to be able to get to those sites when you first started using your mac?

I haven't set any parental controls. In safari the "enable parental controls" box is grayed out. I cannot find parental controls for firefox.

No, I've never been able to access those sites. The first one I remember was the realplayer thing. I tried downloading it for the plugin because I couldn't stream anything using realplayer without it (still can't).

ffooky
2006-07-09, 05:05 PM
Absolute shot in the dark but if you go (in Finder) Go->Go To Folder... and enter:

/etc

is there a document in that directory named host ?

If there is, drop it on TextEdit and see if any of the sites you're unable to access appear there, prefixed with an IP of 127.0.0.1 (or 0.0.0.0)

reece
2006-07-09, 05:44 PM
There are a number of "host" files

There is a file, "hosts," which says

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost

There is a "hostconfig"

AFPSERVER=-NO-
AUTHSERVER=-NO-
AUTOMOUNT=-YES-
CUPS=-AUTOMATIC-
NFSLOCKS=-AUTOMATIC-
NISDOMAIN=-NO-
TIMESYNC=-YES-
QTSSERVER=-NO-
WEBSERVER=-NO-
SMBSERVER=-NO-
SNMPSERVER=-NO-
SPOTLIGHT=-YES-

"hostconfig~"

AFPSERVER=-YES-
AUTHSERVER=-NO-
AUTOMOUNT=-YES-
CUPS=-AUTOMATIC-
NFSLOCKS=-AUTOMATIC-
NISDOMAIN=-NO-
TIMESYNC=-YES-
QTSSERVER=-NO-
WEBSERVER=-NO-
SMBSERVER=-NO-
SNMPSERVER=-NO-
SPOTLIGHT=-YES-

There is also "hosts.equiv" and "hosts.lpd" which I cannot open.

U2Lynne
2006-07-09, 05:54 PM
Where did you get the entries to add as your DNS Servers in your Configuration? Are they the same ones that you used when you were using your PC? (Sys Preferences > Network > Built-In Ethernet > Configure > TCP/IP)

I know, total shot in the dark, but I think that's about where we are right now.. in the dark!

ffooky
2006-07-09, 06:40 PM
The hosts file is kosher but Agent Lynne's angle is a good'un :clap:

reece
2006-07-09, 10:16 PM
Where did you get the entries to add as your DNS Servers in your Configuration? Are they the same ones that you used when you were using your PC? (Sys Preferences > Network > Built-In Ethernet > Configure > TCP/IP)

I know, total shot in the dark, but I think that's about where we are right now.. in the dark!

I don't know what I used with the PC. Everything just worked, I think. I followed instructions to forward ports after I got the VOIP but nothing was committed to memory. There was no difference before or after VOIP on PC.

Here is a screen capture of the Sys Pref > Network > thingy

I don't have anything entered as my DNS Servers

Damn the dark!

http://img424.imageshack.us/img424/6941/grab8un.png (http://imageshack.us)

U2Lynne
2006-07-09, 10:31 PM
Ah-ha! No DNS Server entries. These are IPs supplied to you by your ISP. These are the IPs that help you connect to all the other sites around the world. I'll bet if you put the Server IPs in there, then you will be back in business. Go to the website for whatever your ISP is and look at info on how to get connected to the web. They should document the DNS Servers that they want you to enter in that space for you.

reece
2006-07-10, 05:56 AM
Either of you guys using Comcast?

I've searched aroung and have seen some posts saying the DNS field should be empty. The comcast forums are full of posts about using non comcast DNS because comcast sucks (paraphrasing). I used one of them (4.2.2.1) but no change. There are also posts saying comcast DNS must be dynamic to work with DHCP (?) but other DNS IPs may work.

I also remembered one difference between then (PC) and now. The comcast software was installed on the PC but isn't on the Mac. When we got it I just connected the Mac and logged on with Safari (then later Firefox). You think that could have something to do with all of this?

U2Lynne
2006-07-10, 11:07 AM
Hmmm, I'm looking over their site and, sure enough, they don't specify that you should enter any DNS Server info. Strange. I did find this page: http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/FaqDetail_2386.html Are all your settings like what they show there?

reece
2006-07-10, 01:38 PM
Hmmm, I'm looking over their site and, sure enough, they don't specify that you should enter any DNS Server info. Strange. I did find this page: http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/FaqDetail_2386.html Are all your settings like what they show there?

Yeah I found that page also. Everything is exactly as it says. Could it be something to do with my router configuration? Here is my router setup page I just changed the DNS there to that 4.2.2.1 setting (Does everything else look right?). Before it was empty. I'll check back here in a minute to let you know if it helped.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/4980/grab5yh.png (http://imageshack.us)

reece
2006-07-10, 01:41 PM
No change. Still can't connect to certain sites. If there is no DNS entry should the "DNS Proxy" be disabled?

Is it time for me to see a genius at the apple store?

reece
2006-07-10, 05:54 PM
Add www.youtube.com to the list of sites I cannot access.

U2Lynne
2006-07-10, 06:40 PM
I'm stumped. It is definitely a setting on your computer or your router, but I really am not sure which. Have you tried plugging in directly to the modem (bypassing the router) and seeing if you can get to those urls that way? That will at least clue you in to whether it is the router or your computer.

reece
2006-07-11, 02:24 AM
I bypassed the router and still the same. So it's definitely the computer eh? I'm gonna go dig up the comcast software and see if that does anything. Then off to apple.

Thanks Lynne and ffooky for all of your time and effort.

reece
2006-07-11, 01:58 PM
I'm on hold with comcast support. So far, the gentleman is also stumped.

U2Lynne
2006-07-11, 02:39 PM
It's going to be interesting to find out what caused this weird problem.

reece
2006-07-11, 04:23 PM
Comcast guy says I probably need IE because that works best with most sites. It is what they recommend. He couldn't understand why my computer didn't come with IE. I did a quick google search and found that IE is no longer being developed for mac.

I'm going to make an appointment with the apple store genius. I'll keep ya posted.

U2Lynne
2006-07-11, 04:33 PM
I'm sorry, but that is a bunch of bullshit. I use firefox on my Mac and I can get to those sites. And IE?!?!? Pulleeeeeze! :disbelief

reece
2006-07-11, 08:32 PM
I'm sorry, but that is a bunch of bullshit. I use firefox on my Mac and I can get to those sites. And IE?!?!? Pulleeeeeze! :disbelief

I told him others with macs can access those sites more than once but he never seemed to understand. He kept pushing IE. You'd think he'd know that IE wasn't available for mac any longer.

reece
2006-07-14, 12:56 AM
So the culprit was Peer Guardian. As soon as it was uninstalled I could access the sites.

Thanks again guys.

New question: Is there a program similar to Peer Guardian that you guys use?

ffooky
2006-07-14, 01:40 AM
A happy ending :)

You could try SafePeer (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=safepeer). I think it's cross-platform.

reece
2006-07-14, 02:11 AM
A happy ending :)

You could try SafePeer (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=safepeer). I think it's cross-platform.

Yeah you right. Thanks

Another question (will it ever end?)

For some reason I'm picking up NPR through the computer. It just starts out of nowhere. I thought it might be this firefox extension (although I don't know why) so I got rid of it (I think) but NPR keeps coming on. If I log out or restart it shuts off but comes back eventually. I turned airport off but it still came on. I'm gonna pay closer attention to see if I can pinpoint when it actually begins. So has anyone seen something like this before?

U2Lynne
2006-07-14, 11:35 AM
Go to System Preferences > Accounts, select your name, then Login items and see if the application it listed there.

(Glad you figured out it was Peer Guardian.)

reece
2006-07-14, 02:14 PM
Go to System Preferences > Accounts, select your name, then Login items and see if the application it listed there.

(Glad you figured out it was Peer Guardian.)

There was "itunes helper" and "system events." I removed itunes helper. Hopefully that is it.

Thanks again Lynne.

ffooky
2006-07-14, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't be too sure (http://playlistmag.com/forums/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1457&Main=1455) . I presume you haven't subscribed to any NPR related podcasts in iTunes ?

reece
2006-07-14, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't be too sure (http://playlistmag.com/forums/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1457&Main=1455) . I presume you haven't subscribed to any NPR related podcasts in iTunes ?

No I haven't. It hasn't happened again but I can't be exactly sure why. I uniinstalled the extension and restarted but it played again after a while. It hadn't played before removing the itunes helper and hasn't played since. :hmm:

Evenreven
2006-07-16, 05:27 PM
Jam 6.0.3 basically includes the Toast burning engine. When you hit the record button everything is the same as Toast but with the Jam icon. No FLAC support though :(
Well, like I said:
If there is no Jam 7, I don't think I even want to upgrade, flac support be damned. :D

Jam is the bomb. I'm a fan. And I can convert flac files for the occasion when I burn audio. Doesn't take long.

Speaking of the Roxio products, has anyone made DVD-video from DV-cassettes with Toast? That's possible, no? I've thought about doing that with a silly little short film I made.

Karst
2006-07-19, 07:05 AM
Noticed the outlook question. You can try Entourage - it gives you the ability to check multiple accounts. Outlook for Mac is only for OS 9 and OS X .2.

Scott
2006-07-19, 08:40 AM
Entourage is the way to go. Outlook was great when I had my pc, but Entourage seems to work great on the mac. I think Outlooks "contacts" is much better than entourages IMHO.

reece
2006-07-20, 12:14 PM

The culprit was a widget-"rabbit radio." For some reason it would start up on its own.

ffooky
2006-07-20, 02:20 PM
Ah, glad you got it sorted.

Scott
2006-07-20, 06:57 PM
I'm finding out the Mac platform does not support Java? Well, there goes my online poker habit.

U2Lynne
2006-07-20, 07:06 PM
Sure it does, how do you think I could get Azureus to run if it didn't?

Scott
2006-07-20, 07:09 PM
Hmmm...good point, but it does not support live script!

U2Lynne
2006-07-20, 07:20 PM
Hmmm, I've gone into chat rooms that are java-based and been fine and I can run the games on yahoo games that are java-based just fine. But, I have found that sometimes I hit a site that says it has java and it won't always run. I can hit it on a later date and be fine, then hit it again and get told I don't have the right stuff.

Scott
2006-07-20, 07:24 PM
I'm finding some of the site I visited with the PC, are now unavailable with mac. Not the sites persay but the applications used for online gambling.

MSNBC'c web site requires that I download IE in order to view their news videos. WTF?

How does VirtualPC run..anyone familiar with the program?

ffooky
2006-07-21, 02:15 AM
VirtualPC runs pretty well but you need plenty of RAM and I wouldn't bother trying to run anything higher than Win2K if you want to keep things acceptably fast. I don't know the ins and outs of Windowsland but if you can get away with W98 then the speed is more than acceptable. Make sure you opt for Undo Drive facility when setting up your virtual machine.

If you have an Intel Mac you can't use VPC but can use Parallels Workstation which allows near native performance with many applications.

It's the lack of DirectX support that makes some web content unavailable under OS X

Karst
2006-07-22, 03:50 AM
Most of the direct X content can be viewed in some way or another when downloading Quicktime plug-ins I find.

dreamer
2006-07-26, 12:20 AM
not firefox. opera. faster. more secure.

Karst
2006-07-26, 04:05 AM
Oh, I actually use Safari.

boredwhitelighter
2006-07-30, 02:51 AM
well i am glad there are good mac guys/girls here , and i have seen some good advice
as for my browsers i will only use safari or camino ( the daily updated version ) , as for any sites that macs have problems with if camino or safari cannot get sense out of the site then i would be surprised , i have yet to find a site i cannot view or use properly except for those like elgin.gov.uk because they use the adobe svg viewer , annoying if more sites start using it , and not sure if the other browsers will get it working , but thats the way sites work ( think of pc,s first ) if it works for other systems then thats more luck than judgement

operationfirewall
2006-07-30, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure about the icon problem but I was using an imac and a pc for 'trading' for a long time. Other apps you should look for (in trading): Easy WMA (yes some idiots rip into wma then post torrents of it) and Switch. Is it okay to say that a certain titanium version is openly available on a different 'trading' site?
In fact, 75% of my useful apps were freeware or traded....
See, other than my technobabble issue (posted prev), things are much easier in mac land. I'm guessing you were intially unfamiliar with disk images and how they mount/dismount etc....I was when I first got os x. I traded up recently all the way to mac os 10.4.4 Yehaw!!

gsmyth79
2006-07-31, 12:19 AM
In a pinch VLC will play wma files:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

And OSX is up to 10.4.7 now I think, might want to do an update.

ffooky
2006-07-31, 04:17 AM
Flip4Mac (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28842) allows QuickTime to play a lot of Windows Media kit and, last time I tried, if you have the free version installed you can use Toast 7 to convert WMA Lossless to AIFF/WAV even though this is not possible with QT unless you cough up for the Pro version, or whatever they call it.

AAR.oner
2006-07-31, 06:34 AM
Flip4Mac werks fine for me

Scott
2006-08-14, 06:48 PM
What software are you using to print your CD and DVD artwork with?

When in the PC world, I used Avery and it work fine, but Avery does not seem to support the Mac world.

Karst
2006-08-15, 03:53 AM
I just set it up in Photoshop. :cool:

ffooky
2006-08-19, 07:06 PM
If you run up against a large FLAC/APE/WHATEVER file + cue sheet combo, the current front runner for dividing that into discrete tracks is XLD (http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/index_e.html).

thisistoto
2006-09-04, 04:52 AM
For some reason I'm picking up NPR through the computer. It just starts out of nowhere. I thought it might be this firefox extension (although I don't know why) so I got rid of it (I think) but NPR keeps coming on. If I log out or restart it shuts off but comes back eventually. I turned airport off but it still came on. I'm gonna pay closer attention to see if I can pinpoint when it actually begins. So has anyone seen something like this before?

I had this happen to me on my PC, but it was BBC Radio. Does the iMac have built in speakers, or do you have some external ones hooked up? That was the culprit of my ghost radio reciever.

Scott
2006-09-10, 09:05 PM
How do i go about transferring audio cassettes into the iMAC? I'd then like to make FLAC files from the audio. Seems that I should be able to plug my cable into the Audio Line-In jack, but I get nothing. Is there additional hardware/software I need? Do i need to change some settings so that i can record the audio with Garageband. Any Help?

ffooky
2006-09-11, 02:36 AM
Yes, to record from that input you need something like Audacity (free) or Sound Studio (not free). I can't help you on the Garageband front I'm afraid.

Scott
2006-09-11, 09:59 AM
Sound Studio looks good, but is there other software someone might recommend that may provide more options?

Or let me rephrase this...If you could buy any software to handle sound editing, etc, what would you buy and why?

ffooky
2006-09-12, 05:57 AM
I think you'd need to tell us what sort of options you're after. BIAS Peak would probably cover everything you might need but it's $600. At the other end of the scale ($30), Amadeus II is a nice bit of kit...the repair function is terrific. An all-in-one app might be more convenient but for my purposes so far, an Audacity/Sound Studio/Amadeus combo has been more than sufficient and relatively inexpensive.

Scott
2006-09-12, 09:48 AM
I think what I would like, is the abiltiy to input DAT and Audio into my imac, edit the sound files, and output in WAV, or on accasion, MP3 files.

Also, I would like the ability to have a small studio where I could input guitar, vocals, bass, etc. Now with that setup, I have looked into digidesigns/ Mbox and Pro Tools. But will protools cover everything i neeed to do in regards to my first paragraph? I would think so.

I have no problem spending $400-600 for a good software program, but it gets confusing looking all the Audacity, digidesign, Bias, Logic, etc programs available.

ffooky
2006-09-12, 11:50 AM
Also, I would like the ability to have a small studio where I could input guitar, vocals, bass, etc. Now with that setup, I have looked into digidesigns/ Mbox and Pro Tools. But will protools cover everything i neeed to do in regards to my first paragraph? I would think so.
I agree with you. They used to have a very big, free demo version back in the OS 9 days. Do they no longer offer that ?

AAR.oner
2006-09-12, 06:58 PM
software wise, Audacity is great for stereo 2track [which is probably all you'll need for most live show transfering]...for recording your own music, you'll want a multi-track program--ProTools should cover everything you'd be doing, and will have better filters than Audacity [i.e. EQs, compressors, etc]...i began using Ableton Live for making beats, but am constantly going to it for alot of other tasks now

hardware wise, you'll want to run thru something a bit better than the line-in jack, but you really don't need a Digi002 to make a decent recording...thats where the MBox comes in, or you can buy another A/D device [USB or Firewire]...for instance, i've used my Edirol UA-5 to transfer cassettes & vinyl, now i use a PMD671...i've also used the UA-5 in multi-track situations as the A/D converter between my mixer & the computer...you can cover yer bases for a home recording set-up for pretty cheap these days

from what you've said, i'd probly go with the Mbox2 Factory bundle...it'd be hard to find both the hardware & the software you need for anywhere close to the price...plus the bundle includes the mooger delay :cool:

Scott
2006-09-20, 05:36 PM
I've been wondering about this for awhile, How do you delete a program from the HD on a mac. Do you really just drag it to the trash bin and that's it? Seems to easy.

Remember, I'm a convert, and with a PC, even though you deleted the file, it seemed there was always some left over shit that never really left the HD.

U2Lynne
2006-09-20, 07:17 PM
Yes, it really is that easy. However, it will leave the old preferences in your library. If you want to get rid of *everything* associated with it, there is a little application called AppZapper that you can use.

Scott
2006-11-27, 09:28 AM
My imac seems to be running very slow these days. With windows, I could check the hard drive and see how full it was. Is there a way to see if I've max'd out the HD on the Mac?

Any other programs/features that would let me know how the performance of the system is working?

U2Lynne
2006-11-27, 09:43 AM
Select the drive on your desktop and do an apple+i (or File > Get Info) and it will tell you the Capacity and what is Available.

Scott
2006-11-27, 11:51 AM
Capacity: 233GB
Available: 12 GB
Used: 221 GB on disk

Guess I need to make some additional hard drive space.

would the above stats make the system bog down?

U2Lynne
2006-11-27, 01:36 PM
I've always gone by the old rule that you should leave at least 10% of your harddrive 'empty'. So, in your case you should always try to leave at leave 23 GB available. What I would do first is repair permissions (Utilities > Disk Utility - select harddrive, then Repair Disk Permissions). Also, you leave your machine on overnight so it does it's daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance? If not, open up your terminal and type "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly" and hit return. It will go though and run all those scripts. Perhaps repair permissions again. Then see how it's running. (Oh, and archive a bunch of your shows so you get more empty space!)

Scott
2006-11-27, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the info Lynne. I'll dump some shows, go through your process and see where I end up.

:clap: