PDA

View Full Version : Help with Port Forwarding...

undeath
2005-01-05, 12:07 AM
I just went through the instructions for Port Forwarding regarding the Belkin F5D5230-4. It doesn't seem like it did anything. Is there anything more I need to do? On EasyTree, I still have that annoying red number next to my name...

undeath
2005-01-05, 12:10 AM
Also, if it helps you in any way (like to check if it worked), I'm on a Nirvana video torrent here (12-13-1993). Maybe you could see if I'm firewalled that way...

tritonman
2005-01-05, 01:29 AM
What BT client do you use undeath? and what kind of speeds do you typically get?

undeath
2005-01-05, 01:36 AM
I'm using the ABC client.

I think I typically get about 8-10K/s down on each torrent on average days. I'm getting varying speeds right now (anywhere from 2-8). And the higher speeds slow down as soon as they get there (which may be a result of someone capping their upload).

dorrcoq
2005-01-05, 01:43 AM
those speeds suck! I thought you were on DSL?

undeath
2005-01-05, 01:47 AM
I'm getting DSL after I move to Norwich. I'm on Cable.

tritonman
2005-01-05, 01:50 AM
Yeah, thats brutal undeath. I just looked at the torrent and there's 4 seeders and 17 leechers. If you're on dsl, you should definitely be getting better speeds than that.

I don't have abc, so hopefully someone with that client can help you. I use Bit Tornado and I had the same problem when I first started with BT. I opened the ports on my modem, but I was still firewalled. I didn't realize I had to open the ports on my BT client as well. As soon as I did that, I've been getting great speeds. I'm not sure if ABC works the same way, but you may want to check it out.

undeath
2005-01-05, 01:53 AM
Thanks. Maybe I'll consider switching to see if it works. I just hate uploading 2-3 times a 2+ gig torrent when my upload limit for a month is 10GB.

tritonman
2005-01-05, 01:59 AM
Not to mention the time it must take to download a show, especially a dvd.

Let me know if you try out Bit Tornado and I'll guide you through the procedure. It's pretty easy though, I doubt you would need much help. Thats one thing I really like about Tornado. It's very user friendly.

undeath
2005-01-05, 02:03 AM
I should be able to figure it out. I just got it and installed. I'm opening it now.

Stay tuned... I don't understand too much when it comes to the specifics of this. I'm an old-school computer/registry guy...

undeath
2005-01-05, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I'm lost. I don't have a clue. I probably didn't even follow the instructions at that port forwarding website correctly...

tritonman
2005-01-05, 02:21 AM
Open the Nirvana torrent with the Bit Tornado client. In the upper right hand corner, there should be 4 links. It should look like this......Details..Advanced...Prefs...About. Click on Prefs and it'll bring up a new screen. In the upper right hand corner of the new screen, it'll say "Port Range" and will have 2 boxes underneath it. Type in "6881" in the "from" box, and "6999" in the "to" box.

This will open ports 6881-6999 within the client. Let the torrent run for a bit. The light in the upper right hand corner should turn green. If it remains yellow, then you are still firewalled and the problem is with your modem/router.

undeath
2005-01-05, 02:35 AM
No dice. I must have done something wrong when I tried it for my router.

undeath
2005-01-05, 02:37 AM
I'm looking at my speeds right now, and it seems to be going faster (in ABC). Sometimes it hits 10, but mostly stays around 4-8. Faster than before, but I'm still firewalled...

tritonman
2005-01-05, 02:48 AM
Yeah, with 4 seeds and a cable modem, you should be getting faster speeds than that. If the light remained yellow for a while, then you're definitely firewalled.

I wish I could help you with the router situation but I have no experience with one. Sorry man :(

ffooky
2005-01-05, 04:30 AM
I think my router is the same model as yours and I went through EVERY method of forwarding, following the instructions to the letter before finally getting the green lights.
I use Azureus and enable the UPnP plug in in both Azureus and the router (Utilities->System settings->UPnP Enabling), but I think this will suffice for other BT clients.
Go to the Virtual servers page of the Firewall tab and create these 4 rules:

1.(description) Bit Torrent (Inbound Port) 6881-6881 (Type) UDP (Private IP Address) The IP you've assigned to your BT 'puter (Private Port) 6881-6881

2.(description) Bit Torrent (Inbound Port) 6881-6999 (Type) TCP (Private IP Address) The IP you've assigned to your BT 'puter (Private Port) 6881-6999

3.(description) Bit Torrent (Inbound Port) 7000-7000 (Type) TCP (Private IP Address) The IP you've assigned to your BT 'puter (Private Port) 7000-7000

4.(description) Bit Torrent (Inbound Port) 6969-6969 (Type) UDP (Private IP Address) The IP you've assigned to your BT 'puter (Private Port) 6969-6969

The Azureus UPnP creates these rules:

(description) Azureus UPnP (Inbound Port) 6881- (Type) UDP (Private IP Address) The IP you've assigned to your BT 'puter (Private Port) 6881-

(description) Azureus UPnP (Inbound Port) 6881- (Type) TCP (Private IP Address) The IP you've assigned to your BT 'puter (Private Port) 6881-

I think the rules regarding ports 6969 & 7000 are to do with running a tracker with Azureus yourself, but to be honest I was so chuffed to actually get the ports forwarded I haven't wanted to change anything.

HTH

BillFromMa
2005-01-05, 07:53 AM
I'm also a novice with port forwarding etc.........but I used Raindawg's faq here to finally solve the problem. Did you go to the ftp settings on your router and open ports there? I have a Linksys and thanks to Raindawg I got them open. Once I did that my speeds jumped big time. The comcastards cap my uploads at 30kbs, which I hit and with a well seeded show I can get almost 200kbs download speed. Keep working at it.......you'll be a happy man although it makes it much harder to keep your share ratio pretty.

undeath
2005-01-05, 12:16 PM
I saw a significant boost, and it seemed to be back to normal, but then the speeds went down again. I'm getting slightly faster speeds (not considerable), but it seems like uploads are capped.

I'll deal with this for now...

jdawson
2005-01-05, 12:37 PM
have you capped your upload a bit? If you are still using the bit tornado, adjust your upload rate (ask Lynne about this). Also how many windows do you have open? when I first started d/lding and hadn't figured out my ports, I was still getting around 30 up/down.

randytravis
2005-01-05, 01:17 PM
you need to forward the ports on the built-in windows firewall, or completely disable it and go for an aftermarket alternative. here's some more info:

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html

undeath
2005-01-05, 01:33 PM
you need to forward the ports on the built-in windows firewall, or completely disable it and go for an aftermarket alternative. here's some more info:

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html
I already did everything with Windows before. I disabled everything I didn't want when I got the computer.

undeath
2005-01-05, 01:37 PM
have you capped your upload a bit? If you are still using the bit tornado, adjust your upload rate (ask Lynne about this). Also how many windows do you have open? when I first started d/lding and hadn't figured out my ports, I was still getting around 30 up/down.
I had to cap my upload because I'm uploading 2+ times as much of everything. I'll surely run over my upload limit for the month before a couple days from now. Before then, the speeds were even slower. I'm using ABC still. BitTornado isn't my favorite.

I've tried having only one, maybe two windows open at a time and it didn't do anything. Right now, one is going at 14-15K/s, and sometimes another gets there but drops again.

U2Lynne
2005-01-05, 01:43 PM
I have a whole bunch of links about Port Forwarding in the Other Links page (under Quick Links in the menu bar). I also have a couple of things in my signature.

undeath
2005-01-05, 02:06 PM
I figured it out! I had the wrong IP address in my router's Virtual Server setup! I changed it, and now my torrents in ABC turned green.

undeath
2005-01-05, 02:17 PM
I don't think I saw this in any FAQ here or linked from here. Maybe I'm blind. But I think something should be added to wherever saying this:

"If you don't know your computer's IP address, go to:

Run -> Type 'cmd' -> Type 'ipconfig' at the command prompt

It's the first one listed."

It's different for those without Windows XP, so maybe add that one, too. If I had seen that before, I wouldn't have had trouble.

IMettaMan
2005-01-05, 06:38 PM
I'm also a novice with port forwarding etc.........but I used Raindawg's faq here to finally solve the problem. Did you go to the ftp settings on your router and open ports there? I have a Linksys and thanks to Raindawg I got them open. Once I did that my speeds jumped big time. The comcastards cap my uploads at 30kbs, which I hit and with a well seeded show I can get almost 200kbs download speed. Keep working at it.......you'll be a happy man although it makes it much harder to keep your share ratio pretty.

Wish I could say the FAQ was helpful for me. *sigh* I've been banging away at this for several weeks and not getting it. I find the number of choices and variables involved somewhat confusing.

I, too, have a Linksys router, but I have been unable to find any combination of settings that allows me to get rid of the cursed yellow light. I use Bit Tornado and changed the port settings in there as well but I am not sure it's helped.

I thought I'd see how the HUGE Miles in Belgium seed would go (want to hear the '83 show with Sco and Stern REALLY badly), but it'll take me a week to get it done at my current rates.

If anyone can help out I surely would appreciate it. I want badly to be able to make the most of these opportunities and share back but I can't seem to get the settings working properly.

IM

IMettaMan
2005-01-05, 06:42 PM
I don't think I saw this in any FAQ here or linked from here. Maybe I'm blind. But I think something should be added to wherever saying this:

It's different for those without Windows XP, so maybe add that one, too. If I had seen that before, I wouldn't have had trouble.

WHOA! Just after I posted that last message I saw this one and checked it out. Seems like changing this had a positive effect. I have a green light for the first time. Cool!

randytravis
2005-01-05, 07:10 PM
also, another note:

if you're using bittornado, make sure to uncheck the 'randomize ports' box in the prefs, and specify the ports you want to use in the boxes above that.

tritonman
2005-01-05, 07:14 PM
Congrats guys. You're about to become much happier Bit Torrent users :D

U2Lynne
2005-01-05, 07:32 PM
Not only will *you* be much happy\ier, but you will make the others around you much happier. I know that I get very frustrated when I see that a show needs a seed, so I hop on to seed only to find out the leecher doesn't have his ports forwarded and therefore can't connect to me.

undeath
2005-01-05, 07:56 PM
It seems my post helped. Yay! :)

I knew that would help.

IMettaMan
2005-01-05, 08:06 PM
also, another note:

if you're using bittornado, make sure to uncheck the 'randomize ports' box in the prefs, and specify the ports you want to use in the boxes above that.

I wondered about this but left it. I've just unchecked it now--let's see what kind of impact this additional step has . . .

Doodah
2005-01-06, 12:30 PM
Many thx for all the above suggestions! I was struggling with d/load speeds of around 5kbs and always had a yellow light. I opened the ports like it said on the link gave by randytravis and the light turned green and my speed shot up to 35kbs! :D

Thx again! :)

Rider
2005-01-06, 12:34 PM
Wish I could say the FAQ was helpful for me. *sigh* I've been banging away at this for several weeks and not getting it. I find the number of choices and variables involved somewhat confusing.

I, too, have a Linksys router, but I have been unable to find any combination of settings that allows me to get rid of the cursed yellow light. I use Bit Tornado and changed the port settings in there as well but I am not sure it's helped.

I thought I'd see how the HUGE Miles in Belgium seed would go (want to hear the '83 show with Sco and Stern REALLY badly), but it'll take me a week to get it done at my current rates.

If anyone can help out I surely would appreciate it. I want badly to be able to make the most of these opportunities and share back but I can't seem to get the settings working properly.

IM

http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/advanced.html

IMettaMan
2005-01-06, 07:10 PM
http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/advanced.html

Yes, I saw and employed a version of this from someone's "Links" page somewhere yesterday. These steps also turned out to be part of the equation.

MANY, many thanks to all in the Trader's Den who have contributed over the past 24 hours.

I don't normally make a fuss about differences, but in this case I will, largely because I have been quite frustrated in my previous attempts to get some help with this whole port forwarding issue. I know there are many others out there who have had the same kind of trubs, and have experienced many of the same frustrations, unfortunately . . .

I have found this group to be much more helpful than another group where I sought assistance. I expect it has something to do with the size of the group, but also the tone set by the mods and organisers. Thanks to you all. Can't wait to hear this latest batch of Miles when it's off.

IM

IMettaMan
2005-01-07, 03:46 PM
Not only will *you* be much happy\ier, but you will make the others around you much happier. I know that I get very frustrated when I see that a show needs a seed, so I hop on to seed only to find out the leecher doesn't have his ports forwarded and therefore can't connect to me.

So, now that I am beginning to 'get' all of this stuff, answer me this question related to U2Lynne's point above.

When I come home from work I see that there are still 4 peers to whom I am attached, and I am still green light. However, none of the 4 peers is getting _any_ upload rate, as indicated in my standard bt window, or in the advanced window, does this mean they are firewalled and incapable of leeching from me anyhow?

IM

malick
2005-01-08, 05:57 PM
I am so frustrated with this Port Forwarding, and I think I've got a relatively simple setup. I just don't understand the terminology (TCP and UDP, Local Server, Client, Remote Server, Client and corresponding ports to forward) and can't determine where to make the config changes in either the bt client or the firewall.

I have WinXP (Win firewall turned off), Azureus 2.2, and the Sygate personal firewall. I thought I had the settings figgured out before, and had what might have been decent uploads at nearly 40 kB/s but thought I could improve speeds after reading some other sites/threads. SO I tinkered, and now I get 0 kB/s. I think I tried to set the ports in Sygate to the 6881-6889 range for the
remote server, and now it's dead. I think Azureus, since it's a java application, needs to have both Azureus and JavaW set up in the firewall, but I don't know that for a fact. I also fiddled with the UnPNP plug-in, and disabled it as some other page suggested that, but I just got more confused. I've tried to undderstand the Azureus setup post higher in the thread, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

My ISP is SBCglobal dsl (adsl?) and a decent connection of 1.2 Mbs (claimed, but today seems slow?). I don't get the same IP everytime I connect, so I don't know what to do with that field in the firewall either. So, does anyone completely understand my frustrations, and can come to my rescue?

:(

undeath
2005-01-08, 07:18 PM
Are you saying the IP address that's first on the list when typing 'ipconfig' into the command prompt is the one that changes all the time?

tritonman
2005-01-08, 09:10 PM
When I come home from work I see that there are still 4 peers to whom I am attached, and I am still green light. However, none of the 4 peers is getting _any_ upload rate, as indicated in my standard bt window, or in the advanced window, does this mean they are firewalled and incapable of leeching from me anyhow?

IM

With your firewall turned off, they should all be able to connect with you. However, if they are all firewalled, they will not be able to connect with each other. This means that all 4 will be downloading straight from you.

The idea of Bit Torrent is that you get pieces of the show from a variety of people connected to the torrent. Ideally, the 4 peers should be sharing the data amongst you and each other. The firewall does not allow them to share with each other, thus the must all connect to you. This means they all have to share your upload rate and will most likely get pretty shity speeds.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

malick
2005-01-09, 09:30 AM
Are you saying the IP address that's first on the list when typing 'ipconfig' into the command prompt is the one that changes all the time?

no actually the Ethernet adapter address stays the same, it's the second IP address (PPP adapter number) that changes. I hadn't realized that before.

U2Lynne
2005-01-09, 10:25 AM
malik, when you do the ipconfig, if you are using a router, it should give you an IP Address that looks like 192.168.1.xxx. That is the IP address that you will put into your router when you go to forward your ports. It is also what is called your 'local' IP Address since it is the one given to just your computer within your local network at home.

malick
2005-01-09, 01:33 PM
No network, no router. Just a Sygate firewall and can't figure out which numbers go where.

Have a look at this scrnshot.

:hmm:

cordevil95
2005-01-09, 02:43 PM
OK... here is my problem..

I have a linksys router AND a Belkin Wireless router. The linksys is hooked up to the modem and the Belkin is connected to port 1 on the linksys and everything works fine. Before i hooked up the Belkin my computer worked great with bit torrent and i had a green light everytime.

on the linksys router i have all the port forwarding and everything setup to be routed to 192.168.1.100 (that is the IP that the Belkin router is hooked up to) and on my Belkin I have all the port forwarding and stuff going to 192.168.2.9 which is the IP my computer is at. And now i get a yellow light and very slow speeds.

Any suggestions?

malick
2005-01-12, 01:40 AM
aw, fuckit, this sucks. I've got the simplest setup, just Azureus and Sygate firewall, and I've run though the Portforwarding Azureus page (http://www.portforward.com/cportsnotes/azureus/azureus22.htm) from U2Lynne's link, and still only get "Unable to test" on the Configuration Wizard for the Incoming TCP listening port and connection timeouts when I try to start a .torrent. What burns me is that it worked just fine before I started fucking around with it, hoping to get better than 35 kB/s uploads.

Goddamn it, I feel like I've done everything right, but it must be some stupid little thing I don't understand, or some checkbox that should be marked (and I did uncheck the UNPnP as mentioned.) this is why i just hate computers.

:mad:

U2Lynne
2005-01-12, 06:55 PM
malik, I know nothing about Sygate, so I can't help at all with that, but 35 KB/s upload may be all that you get. Your upload is pretty much dependent on your ISP and which 'package' you signed up for.

You do know that on Azureus it can't do the Configuration Wizard check unless you haven't started any torrent since you started Azureus? You need to start Azureus and before starting any torrent do the CW test, otherwise it will tell you it can't do it.

cordevil, you might want to double check the IP of your computer by doing an ipconfig. And also, have you made sure that DHCP is turned off for your computer? I'll have to think a bit more about this one though.

malick
2005-01-12, 09:40 PM
you wouldn't believe it, but Sygate works just fine when I don't set any preferences whatsoever. No need to plug in values for port forwarding, no need to specify any IP address. It seems that if I *do* try to set up ports, Sygate blocks the program (though perhaps I'm still not understanding something) - but if I just click "accept" when the firewall asks if it should allow the program to connect to the internet, that's all there is to it! Magic

thanks for the replys all,

rents
2005-01-12, 10:21 PM
ive got a major problem going on. i was tinkering with port fowarding for my linksys router. i follwed the guides and whole thing and now i only connect to seeders on a download. no other peers and thus im not uploading at all.
im pretty sure ive been following the guides correctly but i think something got screwed up in the process.
and maybe this is the root of the problem, the ethernet light on my modem and the WLAN light on the router are blinking like mad.
any ideas?

U2Lynne
2005-01-12, 10:42 PM
They should always blink like mad. That shows that there is activity going on.

You aren't uploading *at all*? Ever? But you are downloading?

Did you check your ip address through ipconfig?

Also, you can do a NAT check here to make sure you have done your port forwarding correctly: http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl

rents
2005-01-12, 11:01 PM
i can download. my speeds seem a little lower that usual. but hardly any uploading.
it will show peers and ill upload for a min or so but then all the peers disapear.
i played around with the settings again and i kept failing the natcheck

is there another way to my ip address without using ipconfig? when i type ipconfig into my run prompt, the control window (or whatever) opens for a second then disapears.

ugh-curse technology

undeath
2005-01-13, 03:57 AM
is there another way to my ip address without using ipconfig? when i type ipconfig into my run prompt, the control window (or whatever) opens for a second then disapears.
XP, right? Try this:

Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig

rents
2005-01-13, 10:15 AM
doh im sorry, i still have windows ME

probably yet another reason i can never get anything to comply

U2Lynne
2005-01-13, 10:49 AM
I think it's still the same, rents.

fatoldpig
2005-01-13, 11:18 AM

ugh-curse technologytry typing cmd into run prompt, this will give you a dos window, then type ipconfig

Jskibum
2005-01-13, 11:49 AM
To find your local IP address with ME or Win98, type winipcfg in the run dialog box. That will show your local IP, will be in the format of 192.168.1.xx, it is this address to which the ports should be forwarded for torrents to work right. If you have a hardware router/firewall, which , IMHO (I'm a computer tech by trade FWIW), then you typically go to the port forwarding page in the router setup and add the range of 6881-6999 to be forwarded to the IP address that you came up with in the winipcfg lookup.

The caveat in this set up is that you need to give your computer a permanent, ie static, ip address if you have more than one PC on a network and DHCP turned on in the router settings. If you ALWAYS turn on PC #1 first, chances are good that you will get the first available IP address from the IP pool, ie. 192.168.1.100 (if that is your starting number in the DHCP range, could be anything, this is just an example) and the above advice will still work. If you have more than one PC on your network, then you should set up, minimally, your bit torrenting PC with a permanent local IP.

Go to the Properties for your local network, highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the properties button for that and in the next dialog you can see two options: obtain an IP address automatically or use the following IP address. Check use the following IP adress. Now you make up your IP address: 192.168.1.XXX (XXX can equal anything from 1-255, usually your router uses 1 so ignore that option, lol, pick anything 10 or higher to insure peace of mind). Subnet mask is generally 255.255.255.0. Default gateway value HAS to be the router address, typically it is assigned 192.168.1.1 (with Linksys, others use 192.168.0.1 or other variation) but your user manual will always tell you what the address is. No manual, go online and find out.

After you get these values set up, you may need to reboot, depending on your OS, I think ME will make you do it, and then you can go back into you router settings>port forwarding page and enter that newly minted IP address into the port forwarding address area. At this point you should be good to go!

ME doesn't have any internal firewall to obfuscate connectivity, so that can be a good thing. If you have broadband, you must if you are downloading and sharing torrents, do yourselves a favor and ditch the software firewalls, spend the 35 dollars and get a hardware device. Much more reliable, way easier to configure, can network multiple PCS. And after you get that going, you might try Zone Alarm out so that you ferret out those nasty Spyware things which try to send out info from your PC without your implicit permissions.

Hope this helps.

rents
2005-01-13, 01:05 PM
wow-thanks for the info/time..ill try these things out

rents
2005-01-13, 08:12 PM
:tunes: ive now solved the problem and in the process got the green light to come on. what a good feeling. and it was such an easy thing i was missing, its embarrasing. but isnt that how it always works? you always overlook the smallest details.

U2Lynne
2005-01-13, 10:20 PM
rents, you should post what was wrong just in case it helps someone else who may overlook the obvious. (It happens to all of us).

rents
2005-01-13, 10:25 PM
lol its so embarrasing

basically i was putting the wrong numbers in for my IP address when i was tweaking my router.
it all seems a little overwhelming at first but, after you read the guides and other peoples advice/instructions..its pretty easy

9lazy9
2005-06-15, 03:48 PM
Sorry for bringing this up again but I'm having problems too.

I'm trying to do a port forwarding. In the instructions on portforward.com, it tells me to open a browser and type in the IP adress (which I got from the ipconfig prompt), I always get a 'couldn't connect' error.

I'm on Windows XP, but without SP2 (was causing me hardware+software problems). So it seems that I can't do a port forwarding with that either.

I shut down my XP firewall, but the light on bitTornado is still yellow.

I'm on cable. My download rate isn't actually that bad but my upload rate is ridiculous. 5kB/s, if I'm lucky...

Ted
2005-06-15, 05:40 PM
What model router are you using?

"'couldn't connect' error" seems to indicate you may not be using a router or maybe yo uhave to reset/reboot the router. Also, if you have a router, make sure the CAT-5 or USB cable is good and that it is connected.

If you're not using a router, I can't help any more. I'm not familiar with the XP firewall, but read the portforward site again. There might be instructions there, on how to configure it.

9lazy9
2005-06-16, 12:27 AM
My router is a 3com 3c855. I was finally able to do a port forwarding earlier tonight but I don't see any changes. The light is still yellow and the upload rate hasn't change either. I can't tell if I did this properly or not.

Couldn't find out how to configure my so-called firewall either. This is basically what I have. I have no idea what info I need to put.

http://img144.echo.cx/img144/751/img3ju.gif

U2Lynne
2005-06-16, 09:44 AM
I'm not a PC person, so that panel doesn't look familar to me at all. However, I think what you want is:

Description: BitTorrent (or whatever you want to call it)
IP: do an ipconfig in your console and grab the IP that looks like 192.168.1.xxx
External and Internal Port is probably the same: 6881 (if you are using the default bt port)
TCP is fine

(don't they usually ask for a port *range*, not just a single port? strange)

Ted
2005-06-16, 10:22 AM
I "think" that's the Windows XP firewall configuration. I concur with U2Lynne's settings.

I read this and meant to reasearch an answer (I'm not familiar with XP firewall)and get back to you earlier but got sidetracked.

One thing that I don't understand is the internal/external port boxes. I've never seen ports refered to as "internal and external", but yeah, make them both the same and see what happens. Also, make sure you have the firewall enabled. I saw the instructions on portforward.com for that and make sure the port you specify is the port that is set in your BiTorrent client (most likely 6881, as U@Lynne said).

9lazy9
2005-06-17, 12:13 AM
Well, I filled it out like you said and everything's doing fine now.

Thanks to both of you.

donovana
2005-06-17, 06:09 PM
Yeah, thats brutal undeath. I just looked at the torrent and there's 4 seeders and 17 leechers. If you're on dsl, you should definitely be getting better speeds than that.

I don't have abc, so hopefully someone with that client can help you. I use Bit Tornado and I had the same problem when I first started with BT. I opened the ports on my modem, but I was still firewalled. I didn't realize I had to open the ports on my BT client as well. As soon as I did that, I've been getting great speeds. I'm not sure if ABC works the same way, but you may want to check it out.
Hello you say you are getting great speeds since opening the ports in the bit tornado client. Where would I have to go in the client to open the ports? I am still attempting to open the ports on my llinksis modem, and not having much luck. I am on a 3 meg cable connection, have the fire wall disabled. I average any where from 3 and 4 kl per second up too maybe 50 k per second if I'm lucky, and it doesn't take long for the speeed to slow down. Very frustrating, just wondering.

Ted
2005-06-17, 08:33 PM
I average any where from 3 and 4 kl per second up too maybe 50 k per second if I'm lucky, and it doesn't take long for the speeed to slow down.Is that 50k (what) per sec? - Bytes or bits? Bytes is a capital "B" and bits is a lower case "b". If you're getting 50kB/sec, then that's about right (for upload). Your 3Mb connection refers to your download speed, not upload. You won't see anywhere near your 3Mb/sec download on very many torrents. I've gotten close to that, but it doesn't happen too often. Those speeds happen when there are A LOT of people on the same torrent and a lot of them have good individual speeds. Also, when "torrenting", your download as well as your upload speeds will vary depending on a few factors. I just re-read the thread where you were helped earlier and from your posts, it seemed like everything was ok as far as speeds. If you still need to forward the ports in your router, go to portforward.com and look up your router's model and you can get the info needed. You can also go to Linksys' web site for info about port forwarding. If you still need help, post back with the specific problem you're having. We want to help you get the most of your torrent experience ;)