PDA

View Full Version : How do I change file location of a torrent??

cdrtrade
2006-05-06, 02:22 PM
How do I let the Bit Torrent GUI know that I moved a file that I downloaded. Basically, after I burn a dvd, I'd like to move it to a directory of completed and burned downloads. I can't figure out how to point to the new file using the Bit Torrent GUI. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for the help..

U2Lynne
2006-05-06, 02:32 PM
If you tell us with BitTorrent client you are using, then someone can probably give you detailed instructions.

cdrtrade
2006-05-06, 02:36 PM
I didn't know there were multiple versions. I'm using the latest version from the Bittorrent website..

TheMamba
2006-05-06, 03:08 PM
Just stop the torrent then do your burning / moving.

Once you've got it at its final resting place, reopen the torrent file and point it at the new location.

cdrtrade
2006-05-06, 03:37 PM
Okay, this is what I did. I removed the file from the finished torrent part of the gui. I moved the file to a new location. On the gui, I hit file>open torrent file. I click the disc volume on the left had side, then the directory on the right. I then click add. The file name show up on the bottom left had side of that screen. I go back to the gui, but the files don't show up on the gui at all. What am I doing wrong that they're not showing up on the gui as finished files?
Thanks..

netyuppie
2006-05-06, 03:53 PM
havent used the standard BT client for years, but typicaly "open torrent" means to open the .torrent file itself. you will need to find that again on the site, or if you have it saved to your disk. then it will ask you to point to the folder where you moved the files.
i suggest using another BT client tho...check out utorrent. among other things, you can have it automaticaly move the "downloading" torrent to another folder once it reaches 100% and begin seeding again from there. you can also change the download directory on the fly.

cdrtrade
2006-05-06, 03:58 PM
Other sites give me BT icons, which I assume will open the file again pointing at the new location once I move it. Torrents from The Traders Den don't give me BT icons (at least I don't see them anywhere). I only see the file. So I'm figuring I should be able to do it somehow through the gui, which is where I'm getting stuck.

netyuppie
2006-05-06, 04:00 PM
what torrent is it your trying to re-load in a different location now?
just find it on the site, search for it whatever, and find the .torrent file in the first post of it. load that with BT and point to to the new location.

showtaper
2006-05-06, 04:15 PM
Other sites give me BT icons, which I assume will open the file again pointing at the new location once I move it. Torrents from The Traders Den don't give me BT icons (at least I don't see them anywhere). I only see the file. So I'm figuring I should be able to do it somehow through the gui, which is where I'm getting stuck.

Don't open the torrent from the GUI, go back to the post and click on the
torrent link. Bit Torrent will open (if you have it set to ask for a save
location) and you can click on "use an existing directory" and point BT to
the new location. It will quickly run up your download % to 100 and start
seeding.

When I'm trying to force a quick upload, I'll put the files on two or three
different computers and seed from them all in this manner.....

Five
2006-05-06, 04:16 PM
BT icons??

if you want to reopen the torrent, you can re-download it from the torrent page, or save that torrent to your computer and double-click it there. If it is a file with the .torrent extension that is what matters.

showtaper
2006-05-06, 04:17 PM
We don't need no stinking icons......

cdrtrade
2006-05-06, 04:38 PM
Yep, Icons. I get an icon with the file name. I double click the icon, and that puts it on the gui. Then I get another file with the same name to hold the data.

Having to go back to the original torrent and load it from there seems bass ackwards. But if that's the only way then I guess I have to. Thanks everyone.

netyuppie
2006-05-06, 04:46 PM
you mean like a desktop icon? you just saved the .torrent then. you can do that, and should for everything you download. keep a folder full of them if you need one in the future. most clients will do this automatically.
going back to the original torrent and loading it there is the same exact thing, except the file isnt saved to your computer yet.

cdrtrade
2006-05-06, 04:53 PM
I don't get the icons from The Traders Den site though, so I don't know where the torrent is being saved to from this site. I see the dialogue box very quickly, but it doesn't stop to give me the options to save or open the file. I guess I can do a file search on my computer to find them. I'm curious as to why I get the dialogue boxes from other sites to save and open torrents but not from here..

netyuppie
2006-05-06, 05:00 PM
have you downloaded torrents from another site since you have noticed the ones from here opening, not giving you an option to save? what browser are you using?
you have to option to check "always do this' with a certain file type when it begins to download, so you may have just told your browser to always 'open' not 'save' all .torrent files you click on. that would explain them showing up directly in BT but no on your desktop, or wherever the 'icons' were.
in firefox, tools > options > downloads > view and edit actions
sort the list/search for .torrent, and if its listed at all, it has an automatic action associated with it. clear it if it does.

cdrtrade
2006-05-06, 05:28 PM
Yes, I have downloaded torrents from here, then other sites, then here again, back and forth a few times over. It's just this site that doesn't give me the options to open or save them. I'm sure it's just an option I have to select on the gui. It just seems odd that I get the options from other sites and not from here.

AAR.oner
2006-05-06, 05:52 PM
are you on a PC? if so, just right-click on the .torrent file in the thread's first post, choose "Save file as...", save it to your desktop or whatever folder you prefer...if you just click on the torrent file, it'll automatically open/load without saving to your comp

cdrtrade
2006-05-06, 06:00 PM
Didn't think of that. Thanks.

I'm used to dc++ sites, where the logic is different. After you verify the file, you move it into a folder to share with other folks. I was trying to apply the same logic here, but once I moved the file BT lost track of it. I can't believe there isn't an easier way to point BT to the file. What if I want to clean up my hard drive and move everything off to an external drive? I do this all the time with my dc++ downloads. I have 4 external drives. If I want to move my BT files to an external it looks like I'll have to go back to the original source for the BT file just to get it to point to the right location. That doesn't sound very efficient.

AAR.oner
2006-05-06, 06:07 PM
nah, just save the .torrent file and keep it in the same parent folder you save your shows to...its sounds to me like its more of an issue with the client yer using...Azureus is no problem when re-opening a torrent after its been moved

Five
2006-05-06, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure about how dc++ works, but I always back up my data to external hd/dvd then if I need to reseed later for some reason I just move it back to my hd and get the torrent from the thread. Or if the thread is dead, I have to make a new "reseed" thread with a torrent I just freshly generated.

netyuppie
2006-05-06, 06:43 PM
if your used to dc++ go get azureus or utorrent BT clients. much more like it.
both automatically save every single .torrent file you load in a folder for backup. dont know about azureus, but in utorrent you can simply right click on an active torrent and chose "set download location" and change the location the files are saved to without stopping or loading anything. much easier.

cdrtrade
2006-05-06, 07:06 PM
Utorrents sounds like the way to go then. I just figured using the software from the bittorrent site was the best one to use. In fact, I thought it was the only one to use. I didn't realise there was other BT software out there. Just like flac is flac and mkw is mkw, I thought bittorrent was a single entity.

U2Lynne
2006-05-06, 07:23 PM
cdrtrade, you might want to take a look at the Software Links in our FAQ. We have many different bittorrent clients listed and we have some good applications for decompressing those flac and shn files (hint: get TLH!).

cdrtrade
2006-05-06, 07:54 PM
OK, I moved a file, went to the original torrent and downloaded again. That set it straight. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Other software to decompress flac and shn? What's wrong with the originals (flac and mkw..ape also)? I've used them for years. Didn't know there were other options, and don't know why there is a need for them.

cdrtrade
2006-05-06, 08:47 PM
OK, I downloaded utorrent and played with it a little bit. It does seem similar to a dc++ interface. I may use it more in the future.

I just figured out what's going on here all in all. Back to using the original bittorrent software. I moved a file to a new location. I then double clicked the torrent file, which placed it back on my gui. I was then able to change the location of the file through the gui.

Now we're back to the problem as to where the hell my torrent files were being saved to from The Traders Den. Once I find them then I won't have to go back to the original post of the torrent file. Or did the torrent files get saved anywhere? Were they just in temp? Like I said, other sites gave me the dialogue box to save and open them. Not here, so I don't know where they are yet. I'll do a search, but I'm not sure what to search for. Torrent?

Thanks to everyone for their help..

Five
2006-05-06, 08:59 PM
search your drives (ctrl+F) for *.torrent

they are somewhere on your computer

TLH is a great prog because it does encoding/decoding and shntool functions without having to install 10 programs. there's a tutorial about it in my signature. if you're comfortable with your other multiple progs and they are working well then you can just use those.

cdrtrade
2006-05-06, 09:18 PM
I did a search and only found the torrent files from other sites, so I guess the torrents aren't being saved from traders den. I guess it's just doing an open. So I'm going to have to do a torrent search on everything I've downloaded and save the torrents.

Five
2006-05-06, 09:39 PM
I am really confused how that could happen

hopefully using utorrent you are now okay

cdrtrade
2006-05-06, 10:07 PM
Yea, this is getting wackier as we go along. I've redownloaded a few of the Faces torrents. There's one from 3/10/70 that I can't activate after I download it. I do an open and it just won't go into the gui. There are 2 other faces torrent files from 1970 that I redownloaded and they hit the gui, I changed the location, did a download, and it found the new location of the file. The one from 3/10 just won't open. I've tried deleting the torrent and grabbing it again but it still won't open. I've had enough for tonight. I'll reboot my pc tomorrow and try grabbing that file again. Maybe I'll just start using utorrent instead. But, what will that do to my active downloads? Can I just switch over to utorrent and will that continue the downloads from where they left off? Maybe I should let all the old downloads complete on my current interface before I start using utorrent, or maybe run both at the same time and start new ones on utorrent and let the old ones complete on bittorrent..

Anyway, enough's enough.

netyuppie
2006-05-06, 10:11 PM
you can load all your previous active torrents into utorrent no problem. it will just have to re-check them, wont take long depending on size.