PDA

View Full Version : Max for OS10.4

U2Lynne
2006-05-04, 02:27 PM
I downloaded Max (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28353) this morning and decided to give it a try. It's only been released for a bit over a month. It's an error-correcting ripper (it uses cdparanoia) and can also convert to some lossless formats like flac and ape (not shn). It will write to a log when converting (although the log doesn't say much). It will also allow you to specify the conventional naming convention of artistyyyy-mm-ddD0xT0x . However, that looks a little buggy since I put in 2006-12-06 and got 4274906090 instead. :hmm:

Anyway, has anyone used it or done any tests on it (ffooky??)

ffooky
2006-05-04, 03:54 PM
It's been out for a while now but I don't run Tiger on my main box so I haven't really played with it much. My brief impressions were that the log was a dog's breakfast and that the whole GUI leaves a lot to be desired. It has some definite advantages over xACT but secure ripping on a drive that caches audio isn't one of them ;)

If I can ever get my kid(s) off the Tiger machine I want to see if it preserves tags when converting FLAC to AAC, though it's not immediately apparent how to create M4A's rather than raw AAC's.

The developer is a good sort and his sister app, Tag, is well worth a look if you want a freeware alternative to Media Rage.

gsmyth79
2006-05-05, 07:14 AM
Yeah it's kind of annoying to use (and I'm not convinced it's comparable to EAC) but it gives me cred at Oink (cause of the log, albeit crappy; that just goes to show people like to see logs but no one actually looks at them!).

ffooky
2006-05-05, 08:41 AM
Ain't no native OS X app that compares to EAC but I'm very interested to hear from any IntelMac owners if Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/) can run it effectively.

U2Lynne
2006-05-05, 09:45 AM
Yeah it's kind of annoying to use (and I'm not convinced it's comparable to EAC) but it gives me cred at Oink (cause of the log, albeit crappy; that just goes to show people like to see logs but no one actually looks at them!).
xACT gives you a log also. It seems much better than the one I got from Max.