PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly I am FIREWALLED: What gives? HELP!

dancolostate
2006-05-02, 02:10 PM
I've done 500GB worth of business on this site, now I have run into a rather unusual problem. This is a long, somewhat rambling post, but I thank all that take the time to read it and possibly offer an explanation of what could be going on...

-I upgraded my HD from a measly 20GB to 160GB yesterday night. Internal HD as slave, no problem with the installation.

-When I logged back into tradersden, I see a red "FIREWALLED" under my user name. I have never seen this with any bittorrents before.

-I am running my cable connection into my linksys wireless G router, then going USB into the back of my PC. This setup is the same as it has always been.

-My ports 6881-6889 are open on my Linksys (and always have been). However, it seemed that I had to go back into my router using my IP addy and password and forward the ports again. I don't see how a HD installation could screw up my previous port forwarding, but it appears that this is the case.

-So, I forwarded my ports and I still get the "FIREWALLED" message on TTD.

-I am running BitComet and the light is green. I am on the Big Cypress Midnight to Sunrise torrent and I am cruising along nicely at 50down/45up. Comcast caps my U/L at 45. I am seeing tons of peers and seeds.

HERE'S WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING:

1) It appears I can access my router through 2 seperate IPs:

a) 24.9.xx.xxx (which is listed as my WAN IP)
b) 192.XXX.X.X (which is listed as my LAN IP)

I assume that the 24.9.xx.xxx IP is my cable connection while the 192.xxx.x.x is for my Linksys.

When I access the router setup by EITHER of these two IPs and go to port forwarding, the only IP I am able to forward ports for is the 192.xxx.x.x address, even if I access the router setup by typing in the 24.9.xx.xxx IP address.

-TTD peers list shows my username as being associated with 24.9.xx.xxx, but the ports are opened on 192.xxx.x.x IS THIS WHY I AM FIREWALLED?

-Taboot, I have seen "two versions of me" in the peers list. One on port 6881 and another on port 19310. BitComet says that it uses a "listening port". Do I need to forward this bastard as well?

-Lastly, I was able to test D/L a Ween DVD with a high seed:leech ration at over 350kbps. Could I possibly be firewalled if my transfer rate is this high? Could I ACTUALLY be firewalled if BitComet says that I am successfully connected to the max number of seeds and peers? :hmm:

Any comments are appreciated. What's going on here? HELP!

fanofthemule
2006-05-02, 02:33 PM
Sorry I don't have any insight to your problem, I was just following up with the same question from another thread - are you in Fort Collins?

U2Lynne
2006-05-02, 02:41 PM
First off, it is entirely possible to get high upload and download speeds if you are firewalled. Being firewalled simply means that you may not talk/connect to anyone else who is firewalled. So, if a lot of people on the torrent are not firewalled, then you can get great speeds. However, if most of the people on the torrent are firewalled, then your speeds are greatly limited to only being connected to those that are not firewalled (and, don't forget that all the other firewalled people may only connect to those that aren't firewalled so the non-firewalled people are forced to send out their data to a lot of people and thus can only upload at a small rate to any one person). I hope that makes sense.

The IP that shows up in the Peers List is your actual IP. The one you need to forward your ports to is the 'local' IP which looks something like 192.168.1.xxx. If you look at your network settings, you should have it set to be a static IP and you should input an IP that looks like 192.168.1.xxx. Now, when you go to your router at 192.168.1.1, you should forward your ports to that same IP, 192.168.1.xxx. If you pick ports 6881-6889, then you should go to your BitComent app and put in those same ports. Make sure you do not have it set to be a random port (which could account for that port number that was not within the range you specified).

dancolostate
2006-05-02, 04:13 PM
Lynne,

You are constantly of great help. I don't know how something as simple as putting in a second HD could screw my settings on my router so badly. I just don't know what has happened. This is the exact same network setup I've used since joining TTD, so why I am suddenly firewalled is a mystery to me.

I am far from a nOOb at port forwarding and I am sure that I have specified to have those ports open. I have configured the "local" network and disabled DHCP in the local network.

In the basic setup menu for a static IP, do I want to put the router's IP (191.etc.....) for the internet IP address instead of the 24.9.xx.xxx? OR, am I just doing that for the "local" network, i.e. the router.

Man. What an unexpected pain in the ass! I've configured this computer for BT several times and never seen "FIREWALLED". How the hell can putting in a second HD F*ck my internet settings?

:mad:

fanofthemule
2006-05-02, 04:28 PM
DANCOLOSTATE - DO YOU LIVE IN FORT COLLINS? :hmm:

AAR.oner
2006-05-02, 04:36 PM
the reason yer just now seeing "FIREWALLED" under your name is because we [read: Lynne :lol: ] just installed that filter the other day...before that, the only way to tell if you were firewalled was to look at yer user name in the peer list of a current torrent you were on...

as to solving the actual problem, i'll leave that to the more port-savvy staff

dancolostate
2006-05-02, 04:43 PM
Yup.

I live in the Fort. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you want.

hmmmmmm...I'll work this out.

fanofthemule
2006-05-02, 04:52 PM
Yup.

I live in the Fort. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you want.

hmmmmmm...I'll work this out.

emotw

dancolostate
2006-05-02, 06:10 PM
Thanks to AAA for the insight that the "FIREWALLED" display is new.

Man. I *thought* I knew my way around my router. I've forwarded ports before, but evidently I am not doing an adequatge job. I'm going to do a little more reading and solve this problem.

Thanks for the eye-opener.

1 more question...

I started BTing with the older SHADOW BT client. I always had to go into my linksys to forward the ports to get my light to go from yellow to green. I thought that a green light in the old SHADOW indicated that I was sharing data freely and not behind a firewall. Is this assumption wrong? Can you be firewalled and still see a green light on your BT client?

-Thanks again for the lesson,

Dancolo

U2Lynne
2006-05-02, 06:23 PM
Lynne,

You are constantly of great help. I don't know how something as simple as putting in a second HD could screw my settings on my router so badly. I just don't know what has happened. This is the exact same network setup I've used since joining TTD, so why I am suddenly firewalled is a mystery to me.

I am far from a nOOb at port forwarding and I am sure that I have specified to have those ports open. I have configured the "local" network and disabled DHCP in the local network.

In the basic setup menu for a static IP, do I want to put the router's IP (191.etc.....) for the internet IP address instead of the 24.9.xx.xxx? OR, am I just doing that for the "local" network, i.e. the router.

Man. What an unexpected pain in the ass! I've configured this computer for BT several times and never seen "FIREWALLED". How the hell can putting in a second HD F*ck my internet settings?

:mad:
I'm not sure why it would suddenly change. However, as Aaron said, I just changed the code to put FIREWALLED up under the user stats about two or three days ago. Many users weren't checking the Peers List to see if they were firewalled, so I figured I would put it somewhere where it was a bit more obvious. That being said, if you are on several torrents and you are only firewalled on one, that may be the one that the query picks up on and thus tells you you are firewalled.

Anyway, when you say "basic setup menu for a static IP", are you talking about in your computer network settings? In there, you want to put your local static IP which looks like 192.168.1.xxx. It will probably ask for your router's IP there also, and to your computer, your router is at the IP 192.168.1.1 (usually).

randytravis
2006-05-03, 01:49 AM
Start > Run > cmd at the command prompt: ipconfig /all

it will tell you the default gateway address (the router IP), as well as the IP address for your computer.

dancolostate
2006-05-03, 05:59 PM
Start > Run > cmd at the command prompt: ipconfig /all

it will tell you the default gateway address (the router IP), as well as the IP address for your computer.

It's all good. I'm not THAT much of a nOOB. The problem is, that I've been there, I know the router IP and the IP that my ISP assigned me. I can access my router and forward the ports, but to setup the static IP, it seems that it requires me to keep the one assigned by my ISP. The LAN sees my router at 192.etc...., but TDD sees me at 24.etc. Like I said, I need to do some more reading and I'll figure this out.

I think that the new "FIREWALLED" icon is good because I am learning (as are many others) that my setup isn't perfect even though I've done port forwarding before and gotten my older school BT SHADOW to go from yellow to green...there's more to understand.

However,

If your upload is capped at 45kbps and you're uploading at that capacity, aren't you sharing as much as possible, firewalled or not?

OR: ...is the answer to that question:

Your download rate would be higher if you weren't firewalled, REGARDLESS of if your upload is maxed or not?

TheMamba
2006-05-03, 08:02 PM
Look at it like this:

The people that are firewalled are "camouflaged." They can see you, but you can't see them. At the same time, they can see the tracker and the tracker can see them...but only because they tell the tracker where they are.

You and I aren't firewalled/"camouflaged." I can see you and you can see me - I can throw a paper airplane at you and you can throw one at me since we can SEE each other.

However, neither of us can throw one at the camo'd guys cause we can't see them.

Now...the instant that one of the camo'd guys throws a plane at you...you now know where he's at. Now you can throw one back.

Two camo'd guys can't see each other...EVER. Very bad for the swarm when a lot of people are firewalled because they can't see each other.