PDA

View Full Version : Get The Most Out Of FireFox (BroadBand Users)

thisistoto
2004-12-31, 07:53 AM
I did what this lil guide told me, and now I'm flying!

I thought that maybe this was a load of crap.. but I gave it a shot anyway and firefox really cooks now:

forevergeek.com has a useful guide on speeding up firefox for broadband users. basically after getting to the hidden config settings you set the browser to request more data that it usually does.

1.Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining
network.http.proxy.pipelining
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”
Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”
Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer.
Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0”.
This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.

4. Right-click anywhere and select New-> Boolean.
Name it "browser.turbo.enabled" and set its value to "True"

GURT
2004-12-31, 08:52 AM
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007164.html

After seeing at least a couple dozen blog posts all referencing these changes to "speed up Firefox", I thought it would be worth a little explanation.

Yes, enabling HTTP pipelining can dramatically improve networking performance. The downside, and the reason it's not enabled by default, is that it can prevent Web pages from displaying correctly. If you've enabled this, and you find pages that aren't displaying correctly, please don't blame Firefox or the Web developer. It's probably the fact that you enabled an "unsupported" feature which is incompatible with some Web servers and proxy servers.

The second change, setting the initial paint delay at zero, may get you some content on the screen faster, but it's worth noting that it will dramatically slow down the time it takes the entire page to display. Here's what's going on. Gecko, Firefox's rendering engine, is trying to optimize between the cost of waiting for a bit more data versus doing more painting and reflows as new data comes in. Waiting a bit longer before it starts painting the page gives Gecko a chance to receive more content before chewing up CPU cycles to render and reflow the document. If you drop this value down to zero or near zero, that means you'll see the page start displaying a bit earlier, but not having received much data in that short interval, you'll have a lot more paint and reflow cycles to complete rendering of the page.

This one probably comes down to a combination of bandwidth, CPU speed, and personal preference. If it works for you, and you don't mind the side-effects, then great. Just note that what works for one person/system, may not work for another.

Yes, there are tuning change you can make (even at compile time, see Moox' optimized builds (http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla/)) that will dramatically alter the performance characteristics of Firefox. Feel free to experiment, but remember that most of the defaults are defaults for a reason. If your browser starts misbehaving or web sites look broken, it might be worth going back to default settings.

thisistoto
2004-12-31, 08:55 AM
Well, there has been a dramatic difference for me :thumbsup

GURT
2004-12-31, 09:06 AM
dramatic increase in stress on webservers as well.

you'd be better off setting those back to the default and using an optimized build of firefox made specificly for your processor

btw, browser.turbo.enabled does absolutely nothing if you're using firefox 1.0.

oh yeah and i like your signature.
my favorite lyric.

motionblur
2004-12-31, 10:59 AM
Firefox rules!

The Wicker Man
2004-12-31, 11:03 AM
Firefox rules!

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

http://www.spiralupdatenews.com/firefox.jpg

Eastwood Speaks Russian too

thisistoto
2004-12-31, 02:25 PM
You are pretty serious about FireFox arnt you Gurt?

GURT
2004-12-31, 06:12 PM
You are pretty serious about FireFox arnt you Gurt?sort of.
i've been keeping up with it since 0.5

thisistoto
2004-12-31, 06:48 PM
Well I mean, you do have the FireFox symbol in your Stealie :rolleyes: :lol

wattershed
2004-12-31, 06:52 PM
You're a real asshole to anybody who's ever run a website that isn't backed by a massive akamai server farm if you set some of those options to something other than the default. Joe Schmoe's website is set up to handle one request at a time from all its users, not 30 from your spazzed out client.

If you're on this website there's a decent chance you understand the benefits of sharing what you reap; to me, changing the pipelining and maxreqs is basically the same as capping your upload to 2 kb/s on a torrent. Bad internet karma.

basspro676
2004-12-31, 06:53 PM
definatly running faster and I haven't found any glithches yet, thanks for the info dude.

undeath
2004-12-31, 06:57 PM
You're a real asshole to anybody who's ever run a website that isn't backed by a massive akamai server farm if you set some of those options to something other than the default. Joe Schmoe's website is set up to handle one request at a time from all its users, not 30 from your spazzed out client.

If you're on this website there's a decent chance you understand the benefits of sharing what you reap; to me, changing the pipelining and maxreqs is basically the same as capping your upload to 2 kb/s on a torrent. Bad internet karma.
Oh no! It's the end of the world!

Hey, Wicker! Can we please have this one as next week's sign the apocalypse is upon us? Pretty please?!?!?

wattershed
2004-12-31, 07:02 PM
Blow it off all you want, but you're a prick if you juice your shit out at the expense of the hardware of the website providing you your information.

Why don't you set up a webpage, then I'll go ahead and hammer the hell out of it with requests until the server crashes? I mean, it's my right, right? No harm in getting something for myself at the expense of others, right?

undeath
2004-12-31, 07:04 PM
Like I would give a shit if someone fucked with my website...

I allowed it the entire few months I had a temporary site up. One of the things was seeing how much it could take. Didn't affect it all too much, I have to say...

undeath
2004-12-31, 07:05 PM
Besides, I'm not using those modfications...

lucasweb
2004-12-31, 07:09 PM
I'll stay out of this one

wattershed
2004-12-31, 07:12 PM
Like I would give a shit if someone fucked with my website...

I allowed it the entire few months I had a temporary site up. One of the things was seeing how much it could take. Didn't affect it all too much, I have to say...

Wow, you're kinda dumb and selfish.

See, in the real world, where mommy and daddy don't pay for everything, some people actually have sites that need to be up and remain accessible to everybody. You might not put too much thought into a POS temporary website you've set up that probably didn't get much traffic, but imagine if you took any popular website on the net, and instantly increased the number of requests to its server thirty-fold. It would struggle. One or two people accessing your small-traffic site with modified configs aren't going to bring you down, but this is the sort of thing that can become very problematic to admins if it grows in popularity.

And really, that .03 seconds that you save...do you really need that? Perhaps a better ISP would be a more considerate solution.

undeath
2004-12-31, 07:16 PM
Like I said, I'm not using those configurations. My speeds are fast, and my ISP is privately owned. No interference from big companies, and great service. Thanks, though.

wattershed
2004-12-31, 07:18 PM
So, you posted in the thread to point out my aggrivation over seeing people diving into these setting headfirst? With nothing to add except to play nerd cop in a thread on the internet?

Did you even have a point?

undeath
2004-12-31, 07:19 PM
Nope. No point. Looking to waste time before another year of nothingness.

The Wicker Man
2004-12-31, 07:32 PM
Wow, you're kinda dumb and selfish.

See, in the real world, where mommy and daddy don't pay for everything, some people actually have sites that need to be up and remain accessible to everybody. You might not put too much thought into a POS temporary website you've set up that probably didn't get much traffic, but imagine if you took any popular website on the net, and instantly increased the number of requests to its server thirty-fold. It would struggle. One or two people accessing your small-traffic site with modified configs aren't going to bring you down, but this is the sort of thing that can become very problematic to admins if it grows in popularity.

And really, that .03 seconds that you save...do you really need that? Perhaps a better ISP would be a more considerate solution.

Didn't the groove start going to sluggish hell when all the pro firefox threads started popping up?

The Wicker Man
2004-12-31, 07:33 PM
Also, in America you have the right to be an asshole...Right or Wrong

wattershed
2004-12-31, 08:26 PM
Also, in America you have the right to be an asshole...Right or Wrong

I love Firefox. It just ticks me off to see people messing with it with complete disgregard for the consequences of their actions.

And while we all have the right to be assholes, we also have the right to call others out as assholes when the time is right ;D

thisistoto
2004-12-31, 08:58 PM
I must mention (in regards to wattershed's comment about undeath's "Mommy and Daddy paying for everything") that Undeath lives in a trailer outside his house.

Thanks for popping in wattershed.

undeath
2004-12-31, 09:06 PM
Thanks for that, toto.

thisistoto
2004-12-31, 09:13 PM
Well this guy is being an ass, I dont want him taking cheap shots at one of my friends.

GURT
2005-01-01, 02:02 AM
Well I mean, you do have the FireFox symbol in your Stealie :rolleyes: :lol
are you pretty serious about playing the tambourine?

thisistoto
2005-01-01, 02:34 AM
In fact, yes I am.

HerrProctor
2005-01-01, 04:13 AM
go toto go!