PDA

View Full Version : Brand Spankin' Newbie

DeepElemBlue
2006-04-30, 07:11 PM
Okay, So I am a newbie. I have been investigating this tape trading phenomenom for a little less than a week now, and I am thoroughly intrigued. I think that this is an amazing community, and that the preservation of such beautiful music is an invaluable thing.

I have been reading, researching, and investigating all of this technical jargin in all (yes, ALL) of my spare time for days straight now. I think I am beginning to really have a grasp on some of the methods and software used to transfer music from person to person.

Here is my first problem. I am stuck in the stone ages, and am currently using a dial up connection. This (in my mind) pretty much limits me to snail mail trades, which is totally fine. I think it seems fun.

I have read about shn's, FLAC, and EAC almost to the point of my eyes popping out of my head, and I am really learning a lot. Right now, the only CDR burning software that I have is Windows Media Player. It didn't take me long to figure out that this is unacceptable, and obsolete to say the very least.

So I am researching what tools I need to be a serious trader. I am worried about downloading EAC onto my computer for a number of reasons. First and foremost is the threat of viruses. Secondly, right there in black and white on the download page is a warning that this is a "beta" only version, which should only be used by "experienced users". My search continues.

I am seriously considering investing in a Plextor external DVD burner, which comes bundled with Roxio Easy Media Creator 7. The reveiws that I have read are amazing, and it seems as though "everyone" on the internet thinks that these are superior products.

So my questions are these...

1. Does anyone have experience with these tools, and can you perhaps offer some advice?
2. Does Roxio offer the same quality EAC?
3. Will Roxio allow me to format music in shn and FLAC, and also allow me to convert it back?
4. If not, can I purchase software that will allow me to format in shn and FLAC (and back again) from a retailer, to install it myself (instead of just blindly downloading it off of the internet)?

I have searched and searched, and these questions go unanswered. I think I need a t-shirt that says "audiophile in training".

I am very new to this. I am very serious about trading music, and watching it grow. I want to maintain the integrity of this process at all costs, and am willing to read until I am blue in the face to do so. I am excited about being involved in this community, and want to do it the right way.

I would like to thank you in advance for your time, patience, and advice.

I hope I can find some answers here, at this point, I am taking ALL of the help I can get.

Thanks,

Ellen =)

U2Lynne
2006-04-30, 11:42 PM
Hi Ellen, welcome to the site! :wave: :wave:

I'll let some PC users answer your specific questions (I'm a Mac user), but I did want to say that the software links we have in our FAQ are to the software websites themselves and I haven't heard anyone complain about getting viruses from them, so I think you don't need to worry about that.

slimeruky
2006-05-01, 01:17 AM
First of all, welcome to the game. You will find that the trading and all is more addictive than what you can forsee at this time, and every minute of it is great.

Next, your fear of viruses, while warranted, is something you can let go of and have fun. I have downloaded that version of EAC from that website and I use extensive virus protection and it has given me no probems. It has been pretty well proven that nothing really gives the results that EAC does when used properly, best I know. Check out this link: http://users.pandora.be/satcp/tutorials.htm That will give you all you need on how to rip and encode with EAC, step by step.

I am not familiar with the Roxio product you're asking specifically about, so I'll let someone else handle that, but I can tell you that there are good, free programs that can do what you'll need very well.

Also, you needn't even consider paying for FLAC encoding because it's supposed to be free to all of us. It's even in the name. FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. You also don't need to be worried about viruses here. It's smart to think about, but time and time again this codec has proven to be legitimate and virus-free. With as many eyes as there are around here always checking out all those links in the FAQ, if something was sketchy, we'd all know about it really quickly. Just follow those for what you need.

I hope that helped you out and helped quell some of your fears. Best of luck. Keep asking questions. We're always happy to have new faces passionate about live music as we are.

Five
2006-05-01, 01:23 AM
never a problem with the free software aps we normally use around here... I also keep my AVG Antivirus updated but even then not a peep.

welcome to ttd, check the links in my signatre for some essential info about TLH and EAC. There are no programs for sale that can do everything these programs do.

AAR.oner
2006-05-01, 06:46 AM
when i was working on a PC alot, i used EAC [when ripping from cd], Trader's Little Helper [for everything else], and Nero [for burning discs]...Nero isn't a necessity, the other two are...

i only really use Roxio products on my Mac, but i'm *guessing* it'll be alright for burning discs with...do not use it to rip from discs tho, strictly EAC...

re: DVD burners, i've had numerous makes/models, but always come back to the Plextors...excellent burners

you have the EXC link above, here's the one for TLH...and welcome to the site :wave:

http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/

DeepElemBlue
2006-05-01, 05:33 PM
Wow!

You guys are AWESOME!!!

Thank You all SO much for your warm welcome, and helpful advice! I feel pretty comfortable with moving forward on this new journey, and all of your input has definitely put my mind at ease. I'm sure there are many more hurdles and questions ahead, but this venue makes me feel confident that I can overcome them. I am going to go ahead and download the software I need. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it!!! I'm sure I will be back to read the FAQ a million and one times, and probably ask tons of questions.

I know I have only been at this for a short time, but I am already totally hooked. The thought of having tons of music that I would never be able to find elsewhere blows my mind right out of the water. My first impressions and observations stand firm, that this is an incredible community, filled with genuine people, always willing to lend a hand. I whole heartedly welcome this new addiction. My friends and family are already sick of hearing about it!!! HA!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait until the "Audiophile in Training" t-shirt evolves to just plain "AUDIOPHILE"!!!!

Many, Many thanks again!!!

Ellen =)

cdrtrade
2006-05-01, 06:39 PM
One warning though with Roxio. I used it to burn discs that I transferred from lp and tape, and Roxio always put little clicks between the tracks. This does not happen with Nero. I don't know why I had this problem with Roxio (all of the settings were correct..ie..dao), but I did. Once I switched to Nero then the clicks went away. So if you have lp's or tapes that you want to transfer to cd I would stay away from Roxio.

Five
2006-05-02, 10:30 AM
The thought of having tons of music that I would never be able to find elsewhere blows my mind right out of the water.
yes, its quite the experience, isn't it? ;)

AAR.oner
2006-05-02, 04:30 PM
:lol let the addiction begin!

DeepElemBlue
2006-05-02, 05:21 PM
Okay, I just wanted to leave one more post (for this thread at least), to let you guys know that I have downloaded the necessary software, and have finally "seen the light"!!!

You were all right, backwards and forwards, I can't imagine there being better software than EAC. Granted, I still have to play around with it, and figure it out, but I can see why so many people insist on using it.

I just cannot say thank you enough times!!!!!!

As far as the addiction thing goes...man o' man!

I find myself thinking about trading all day long. Its amazing I get anything accomplished! The best part is, this is only the start!!! I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!!!!

Thank You, Thank You, a million times, Thank You!!!!

=)

cbc
2006-05-03, 02:56 PM
Hi Ellen!

I too am very new to this forum, but have been mucking around with music , CD-Rs, file format conversions, for quite some time.
=================================

So my questions are these...

1. Does anyone have experience with these tools, and can you perhaps offer some advice?
2. Does Roxio offer the same quality EAC?
3. Will Roxio allow me to format music in shn and FLAC, and also allow me to convert it back?
4. If not, can I purchase software that will allow me to format in shn and FLAC (and back again) from a retailer, to install it myself (instead of just blindly downloading it off of the internet)?

There are many kinds of software that are available to use to burn discs. Some are very simple programs that just include the basic burning program, while others are kind of like Swiss Army Knives, which claim to do everything from creating CD covers, to making excellent pizza, to allow you to process the wav files you are about to burn. IMHO, the problem with these larger programs (of which I include Roxio products) is that they tend to install large amounts of "stuff" onto your computer to allow them to do all these neato whizz bang things. And lots of times the stuff they install for them to work right can cause other programs you already have (or even Windows itself) to have conflicts w/ it, so ..more headaches.
My philosophy is "simpler is better", hence I say yea on the Plextor but nix the Roxio software

A few freeware/cheap softwares I use & love are:

EAC , as mentioned above
dbpoweramp, which can help you in both format conversion, tagging, burning etc. Tis one needs various plugins for the different types of file formats (ez to find and install)
Prassi ONES burning program, which is only $25, and install very little junk onto your system, and is very simple to use.

Burrrn, a simple freeware burning app that you can use to burn virtually any format file onto a CD-R to play as an audio disc.

Anyways, just a few of the tools I like to use, to help your learning curve.
So now I go back to learning more about this exciting facet of music enjoyment! :)