PDA

View Full Version : No More Super Seed

onlygb
2006-04-28, 11:06 PM
Yeah, you heard me. Superseed is garbage. My strong suggestion is that anyone caught using it should be slapped silly. Silly, I tell you.

Big pipes sitting around waiting on a bunch of little pipe'd stragglers. And for what??? So we can all finish at the same time, assume no one else wants it and drop off??

The two things that it was designed to help: seeds and speeds, it actually accomplishes neither!

Death to super seed.

Who's with me?!

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

p_k
2006-04-29, 11:34 AM
heh, nice rant

all super seeding does is send new peices of the torrent that are not out there.
instead of sending the same peices of the torrent that are all ready out there.

U2Lynne
2006-04-29, 11:45 AM
It seems to me, that when super-seeding first became popular (a couple of years ago), it was really effective. However, maybe it's just my perception, but it seems to slow things down nowdays. I don't know if that's because bittorrent clients are just better these days at passing out the information, or what. But, I no longer use super-seeding when I seed a torrent.

saltman
2006-04-29, 11:56 AM
It depends on the size of the torrent I think. This is all feeling and I have no stats to back these comments up.

On larger torrents with 75 leeches, superseeding seems to slow down the first few leeches and makes the group catch up and finish more as a group. This will slow down the first completes but will also slow down everyone. On small torrents with 10 or less leeches, I think it helps. It seems to let everyone finish up quicker and not bunch up in a group.

Five
2006-04-29, 02:45 PM
yeah I used to use super seed but stopped a while back. I'll just keep my window open a little longer. in order for superseed to do its thing it has to choke ppl and wastes time switching between peers more frequently.

onlygb
2006-04-30, 04:10 AM
Then that does it, we're all in agreement!

On Monday, May 1st (tomorrow in my time zone) I think everyone who agrees with us should walk out of their jobs and protest SuperSeed. I want to see huge protests in San Antonio, San Diego, Phoenix, and Miami. Everyone, black or brown or white should be out on the streets marching. Trader's Den has spoken and SuperSeed ain't freaking cool no more. Hell yeah. I'm blowing off work on Monday to protest this crap.

Who's with me?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chachi420
2006-04-30, 07:30 AM
I use superseeding when there are less than 1.0 distributed copies available, so that I'm not sending out redundant information out. When I superseed, my share ratio and amount uploaded more closely match and therefore I can finish the uploading process quicker.

gsmyth79
2006-04-30, 10:19 AM
I use superseeding when there are less than 1.0 distributed copies available, so that I'm not sending out redundant information out. When I superseed, my share ratio and amount uploaded more closely match and therefore I can finish the uploading process quicker.
The problem is that your client actually stops and waits for the piece to be distributed to everyone before sending out the next one. Last time I seeded a show, I noticed my upload was actually at zero for significant amounts of time. My upload speeds are really fast so that's just slowing down the whole thing. After I turned off superseed things sped up a lot. But I had probably uploaded 10 gigs before the first person got a complete copy.

So I guess my take-home from this is that if you have a good upload speed superseed is counterproductive but if your speed is slower (so that you uploading the new piece takes as long as it takes for that piece to be distributed) then it works best probably, especially when you can't afford, timewise and bandwidth-wise, to upload 10 gigs in order to get a 4 gig torrent out.

Five
2006-05-03, 02:36 PM
^bang-on

onlygb
2006-05-05, 03:44 AM
Babies, you gots to give up on the SS. It might make you feel all gooey warm inside like you just know what it's got is right but lemme tell ya, that is some buggin wigged out nasty you playing with.

Slide back on that SuperSeed. Don't put it in the bowl, mama. You gonna marsh a mellow with that spanky hash o' badness. Groove to the goodnezz of regular. I know it ain't freaky! I know it don't have that "pop" you crave. But the lowdown is that your slowdown is getting me down. And you know I ain't about slowin' down sugar.

End that shiznit and get with the people on the upside of your torrenting. Solid.

AAR.oner
2006-05-07, 12:44 PM
Babies, you gots to give up on the SS. It might make you feel all gooey warm inside like you just know what it's got is right but lemme tell ya, that is some buggin wigged out nasty you playing with.

Slide back on that SuperSeed. Don't put it in the bowl, mama. You gonna marsh a mellow with that spanky hash o' badness. Groove to the goodnezz of regular. I know it ain't freaky! I know it don't have that "pop" you crave. But the lowdown is that your slowdown is getting me down. And you know I ain't about slowin' down sugar.

End that shiznit and get with the people on the upside of your torrenting. Solid.
now where did i put that jive translation filter i had :hmm:

;)

seagull
2006-05-07, 11:43 PM
wtf is this guy still going on about? I agree, seems to me the names in this thread like his, p_k, gsmyth, chachi have a lot more experience with the issue, as they are seeding things all the time, unlike onlygb. It only makes it worse when he rambles in gibberish.

U2Lynne
2006-05-07, 11:46 PM
now where did i put that jive translation filter i had :hmm:

;)
I almost changed my sig to put his second paragragh in there. I thought it was pretty funny.

onlygb
2006-05-09, 12:22 AM
I ain't no jive talkin' turkey, jerky. Y'all better open an ear on this here: A man putting the suggestion on the suggestion board better get some love from the johnny Q. if he's talking real. You know you can't argue so you try to slip me to a lower peg so you feel all bad. You ain't bad. You want me to get my up on? I'll do it right now and you can groove on my ups cause I keep my ratio clean and my suggestions tight and right.

You think you're all superfly but you're just another punk boy superseeder. The writing is on the wall for your kind and the graffitti spells: No More Superseed.

Last time I'm saying it: S-o-l-i-d

Five
2006-05-09, 01:23 AM
gotcha :thumbsup

randytravis
2006-05-15, 08:01 AM
about the only superseed algorithm that works halfway decent is the one incorporated into bittornado. the azureus one is kinda flawed, and the uTorrent adaptation of the azureus method completely stinks. just a heads up :)

joanna2
2006-05-16, 12:13 AM
*sigh* I would have hoped that at least in this community that the discussion would have recognized that there are more than one ways to implement a so-called "superseed" algorithm. Kudos to randytravis for bringing that small but essential item onto the table.

Agree that the current Azureus implementation is pretty inefficient. Further agree that the bittornado implementation makes a great deal more sense, at least from a technical design standpoint.

A little more recognition (and technical discussion) of the differences and a little less chest thumping would probably benefit the community as a whole.

p_k
2006-05-16, 12:31 AM
if your upspeed is capped under 50kbs..superseed wont work very well
if your upspeed is 100+ super seed should rock

http://www.sternchat.com/boards/images/smilies/piss1.gif :shoosh:

WolfgangAM
2006-06-28, 11:34 AM
According to the uTorrent website, the newest beta version, "Superseeding should work better". Previous posts by the creator of utorrent stated that superseeding was "broken". Can't get more honest than that.

http://download.utorrent.com/beta/utorrent-1.6-beta-build-467.txt

Agreed that bittornado superseeds better.

KoolKat
2006-06-29, 10:40 AM
Super-seeding is by far the best way to quickly distribute a file regardless of your bandwidth.Fact!

You will up it 16% faster even if you do see that you are not upping at the full speed you know you have......That is not you,your PC's or your clients fault,it is the leechers.

If they cap while upping what they have just got,thats when it slows.
Everyone has to play by the rules when a file is 1st uploaded.

Your client will not send another piece of the file until the piece it sent has been passed on........that is not you or super-seeds fault.Its tossers capping because they are probably trying to download 50 torrents at the same time.

Eventually,your client will find the fastest clients in the swarm & only distribute to them ,they will then pass it on creating a sort of pyrimid effect.

It also doesn't help when people who are leeching think that super-seed helps so they do it as well.....ONLY THE FILE STARTER SHOULD EVER SUPER-SEED...no-one else

K_K