PDA

View Full Version : firewall exceptions

flatpickit
2006-03-27, 10:00 AM
If my listed port number on the peer list is red, does that mean i am firewalled and getting poorer download and upload rates? I have created exceptions for ports 6881-6889 in my Windows firewall (xp prof.). I have also set my bittornado to use these ports. What else can I do to improve things? Thanks

U2Lynne
2006-03-27, 10:15 AM
Yes, if your port number is red, then you are firewalled and it could mean that you aren't getting the best upload/download rates possible. If you are firewalled, then you may not 'talk' to anyone else who is firewalled. So, it limits the number of peers to may upload/download with and thus make your speeds lower than they could be if you could 'talk' to all the peers. If you aren't firewalled, then you may 'talk' to all the peers and get better speeds.

You need to forward your ports in your XP firewall, input the same ports into your bittorrent client (make sure you turn off random ports if your client has an option for that) and you must forward those same ports through your router/modem (go to portforward.com for instructions for your particular router/modem).

inside'eye
2006-03-27, 03:18 PM
What else can I do to improve things? Thanks
Do the opposite of what you are doing now,then things will improve.

feralicious
2006-03-27, 11:57 PM
I would get a 3rd party firewall like Zone Alarm and shut off the Windows XP firewall. No one seems to have anything good to say about it.

dementrium
2006-03-30, 03:42 PM
I would get a 3rd party firewall like Zone Alarm and shut off the Windows XP firewall. No one seems to have anything good to say about it.

I'm using Zone Alarm (W2k) with very good results... only a couple dozen nerdie hackers a month get into my system (j/k).

Of course, before runing blind into internet, seek out to set it up correctly... you'll have to dig a little on every setting is there and make sure you understand what you're doing.