PDA

View Full Version : adding RAM

Kush
2004-12-27, 12:59 PM
I just bought 512MB of RAM for my computer. I had 256MB and wondered where I would notice the difference? I moved the smaller 256MB to slot 2 and the larger 512MB to slot 1. This gives me a total of 768MB of RAM. So what does this upgrade help? Where would it be noticed? Thanx for any replies in advance.

TheMamba
2004-12-28, 06:23 AM
In general, you'll notice it when you open programs, etc. The load times won't be as long. If you use any "intense" programs like the newer games, AutoCAD, etc. you'll really notice it.

Five
2004-12-28, 06:37 AM
It is so great to have piles of RAM! It really helps when you like to have 100 programs open at the same time. You might like this, too:
http://www.jfitz.com/software/RAMpage/

Kush
2004-12-28, 10:59 AM
Thank you for the replies.

RainDawg
2004-12-29, 01:31 AM
The chances are, unless you have tons of programs open at once, that you won't notice much of a difference. If you're like me, and have a few browser windows, and email program, a session of Heroes of Might and Magic, Adobe Audition, and a few other things open, it will prevent the computer from having to dip into the increadibly slow virtual memory swap file.

Make the upgrade you did, from 256, is probably necessary if you do a decent amount of work simultaneously....you should notice that when you have certain programs open, it takes less time to switch between them or bring them back from a "minimized" state now that they sit in RAM instead of virtual memory.