PDA

View Full Version : .wmv file audio goes out of sync when converted to dvd or avi

aikox2
2006-03-17, 04:38 PM
I am really frustrated by this. I have a killer P&F show (Vegoose 10/29/05) that is a .wmv file. It plays fine as .wmv, but I want to burn it to watch on DVD/TV.

I have tried six different s/w (though a few seem to be rip-offs of each other), and none of them can convert this file without the audio going way out of sync : (

Can anyone please tell me what s/w to use, or what steps are necessary to either convert it in sync or to fix the sync after it is converted? If the latter, what is the best conversion before the fix?

I would really appreciate any help on this one; I have been wasting a lot of time and energy on this damn project and I'm getting really frustrated. It's a great show, and the quality is excellent (and the only source I am aware of at this time).

Thanks,
Aiko

ssamadhi97
2006-03-17, 07:13 PM
wmv? might be a variable framerate clip.

only solution I know is fiddling with avisynth/directshowsource, but I'm sure there are other, much simpler ways to handle this. Maybe someone else can help? Try doing research on google and videohelp.com too...

LocalHero
2006-03-17, 07:40 PM
The wmv is one framerate and you are trying to convert it to another format with a different framerate. The audio is meant to go with the original framerate and is going out of sync.

aikox2
2006-03-17, 07:54 PM
so is there a way to convert it to a DVD compatable format with the same frame rate, or some other trick to make it work? Surely there is a way to do this. We can put a man on the moon, can't we sync Phil?

Aiko

LocalHero
2006-03-17, 08:38 PM
Short answer: TMPGEnc

Have you tried that one yet?

aikox2
2006-03-17, 09:14 PM
No. I have it, and I use TMPGEnc DVD author all the time, but I have not used the video editor in a long time, and I wouldn't know where to begin to tackle this sync issue; any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Aiko

aikox2
2006-03-18, 12:25 PM
D'oh. I just opened it up in TMPGEnc and started a test conversion, looked at the file, and it is in sync! I wish I had done this in the first place; don't know why I didn't.

Now my question is: TMPGEnc seems set up to only convert for DVD5 (~ 4 GB). How would I go about converting this to a larger file, which I will then reauthor as two DVD5s?

Also, are there any settings I need to tweak to get the best results?

Thanks again,
Aiko

aikox2
2006-03-18, 01:29 PM
I figured out how to split the file. Soon I will be an expert ; )

Now it will take many hours to render.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Aiko

LocalHero
2006-03-18, 02:02 PM
Well by now it looks like I should just keep my mouth shut and watch you "become an expert", eh? :)

Post back with the results.