PDA

View Full Version : µtorrent.exe sending/receiving emails !!!

feralicious
2006-03-01, 08:54 PM
Wow! I just reformatted and reloaded Windows XP and decided to use a different firewall, Zone Alarm. It told me that µtorrent.exe wanted to send an email and asked if I wanted to allow µtorrent.exe to send/receive emails?

What the hell is that about???

Kerio never noticed it.

feralicious
2006-03-01, 09:08 PM
Okay... apparently it's a false positive.

Help! µTorrent is sending e-mails/accessing the web/ etc!

This is a false positive 99% of the time. Occasionally, peers use common service ports, such as 25, 80, and so on to bypass restrictions they may have on their ISP. You should ALLOW this traffic, not block it! You may have to turn off the firewall's/anti-virus' e-mail protection, or set an exception for "utorrent.exe". The only exception to the false positive rule is on start-up, where µTorrent loads a page on uTorrent.com to check for the latest version. You should also allow this. This functionality can be disabled in the General section: "Check for updates automatically."

It also connects to router.bittorrent.com if you have DHT enabled, this is REQUIRED for the functionality of DHT. If you block it, DHT may not function!

To put it simply, a false positive means that your firewall is WRONG.

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Help.21_.C2.B5Torrent_is_sending_e-mails.2Faccessing_the_web.2Fetc.21

jcrab66
2006-03-01, 11:28 PM
:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: