PDA

View Full Version : Linage question

oldfan
2006-02-15, 08:59 AM
Since 1 GB Minidisc cost a ton, I was planning on transfering all my recordings to cdr/dvd. Would these transfers be consider 1st Gens ?

thanks

U2Lynne
2006-02-15, 09:24 AM
Five wrote some explanation of the numbering system somewhere around here. I think I recall that if it's the first one to be made of that media type, it is the master copy, so CDR(M) or DVDR(M). Maybe someone will wander in here and post about that numbering system again. (I should put it in the FAQ since it confuses a bunch of people including me!)

oldfan
2006-02-15, 10:17 AM
lol thanks U2Lynne :)

Five
2006-02-15, 12:23 PM
ok, jussasec...

say if you tape from the radio to a cassette deck the resulting cassette would be called a master, since it is the taper's master. the real master is, of course, somewhere at the radio station (or a westwood one's studios or wherever). Same thing applies to television, a VHS taped off tv is considered a "master" before it is copied even tho the real master is at the station.

the other funny thing that happens with the counting is when multiple formats are involved.

FM > CASS > CASS > CASS > CASS > DAT > DAT > DAT

so you could count that like FM, master, copy1, copy2, copy3, copy4, copy5, copy6 ... six times it was copied. but when the format changes the numbering starts over again.

the format change does not get labelled "master"!

most people would number it like this:

FM > CASS(m) > CASS(1) > CASS(2) > CASS(3) > DAT(1) > DAT(2) > DAT(3)

some people would call the first DAT above "zero" since it is the first of its kind but from what I've seen most people start the numbering on the new format at (1).

cassette generations add a lot more noise, DAT & CDR gens can add diginoise and such, so its not so simple as to just say the example above is "6th gen" or "3rd gen", that's a big reason why lineage is useful.

so for this case in point, you want to dump your MD masters to CDR... do you mean audio cdr?? is it because you have to do the transfers to a standalone?

oldfan
2006-02-15, 12:44 PM
MiniDisc> SB Live > Adobe Audition 1.5 > WAV > dcr/dvdr
Still consider a master source?

willndmb
2006-02-15, 12:50 PM
if the transfer is 100% digital from MD > dvd
yes its "master", at least imo
(to clearify, a master copy, not a true master as there is only one true master)

the only time you go down is if there is a analog stage involved

Five
2006-02-15, 12:58 PM
you're burning the WAVs as data, right? you should just FLAC them, you can cut the tracks later no gen is added for that, it is secure (meaning you have a way to verify that the data is not corrupt via "test" mode) and it is half the size.

Five
2006-02-15, 01:32 PM
the other thing that comes to mind is that you're using SBLive analog in... some noise etc is added this way so the transfer is not as good as it could possibly be. I understand that it is the best you can do at this time, I also have a MD recorder and no way to do a direct digital dump from it. If you can swing some way to get a direct digital rip off the masters (and of course listen to the results carefully) then at that point the masters have been cloned and the original MiniDiscs would be redundant. Until then, you should consider hanging on to the masters ...