PDA

View Full Version : Technics 1200 advice

Five
2006-02-12, 04:13 PM
I got a sick collection of vinyl and I need a new turntable, so I figured it is time to take the dive and get a Technics 1200. Can anybody offer me some advice about the different models (mk2, gold, etc etc)?? also I'm expecting to pay around $100CDN for a new needle and not sure which one to get.

thanks

AAR.oner
2006-02-12, 06:45 PM
as far as 1200s go, turntable lab breaks down each model:
http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/1/1/

in all honesty, if yer not gonna be doin alot of scratchin or traveling with yer tables, i'm not sure its worth droppin $500+ on em...Stanton makes an *excellent* turntable at a fraction of the price...i even know a coupla DJs who use em due to some of their extra functions [speed adjust w/ pitch lock, reverse, etc]...i have three stanton tables and'll probly never switch...just a fwiw

as far as cartridges go, i usually use Shure M44-7's for regular use/djing...also used a number of ortofon's in the past [can't recall model #s]...but for audiophile use, i'd seriously check out Grado Labs [ http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm ]...they also make some of the best sounding cans i've ever heard! i can't praise the SR125s enough...it will change how you listen to live shows

take some time a look over the turntable Labs site...its the ONLY place i buy gear from anymore [well, them and Doug Oade]...fast, reliable, cheap, blahblahblah...but stay away from their vinyl section...you WILL end up droppin a ton of money! ;)

Five
2006-02-12, 10:33 PM
thanks very much, I will no doubt be back with more questions after some more research

rvk
2006-02-15, 03:57 PM
Hi Five,

I have a SL1200 MK2 and it's just perfect, i don't think that gold, or MK5, ... are really much better.

I use 2 cartridge :
A Shure M44 which is perfect for scratching, a groovy sound, ...

and a Pro-ject K4 which is very good for an honest price: 80€
it plays perfectly my Beatles' Lps :cool:
Technichal Data:
Moving magnet cartridge (MM)
Frequency response 10Hz - 50kHz
Channel balance < 1,5dB
Channel separation > 30dB
Output voltage 4,5mV
Compliance 30µm/mN
Stylus shape elliptical
Load impedance 47kohms
Mounting system 0,5” (12,7mm)