PDA

View Full Version : In EAC--Disc image versus ripping individual tracks.

mbself
2006-01-03, 08:05 PM
I am relatively new to this stuff. In my experimentations with EAC it seems much more efficient to simply rip the disc as an Image of the entire disc---encode that image to .flac and include the cue sheet generated by EAC with the compressed .flac image. Once you decode the one single file created by this method it can easily be burned by EAC by simply loading the cue sheet in the same file as the decoded image. Am I wrong, or am i missing something. It seems that all of the torrents I have downloaded have individual tracks instead of image files----is it because of fingerprinting or verification protocols-------just curious.

thanks,
matt

alchemy71085
2006-01-03, 08:11 PM
I am relatively new to this stuff. In my experimentations with EAC it seems much more efficient to simply rip the disc as an Image of the entire disc---encode that image to .flac and include the cue sheet generated by EAC with the compressed .flac image. Once you decode the one single file created by this method it can easily be burned by EAC by simply loading the cue sheet in the same file as the decoded image. Am I wrong, or am i missing something. It seems that all of the torrents I have downloaded have individual tracks instead of image files----is it because of fingerprinting or verification protocols-------just curious.

thanks,
matt

Not 100% what the rule is here, but torrents on DIME must be uploading in individual tracks. I've seen shows that have banned simply because they did not follow this rule over there.

Five
2006-01-03, 09:56 PM
since we started this site we've only had one show uploaded as a disc image as you describe. they used to show up occasionally at sharingthegroove.org but the users showed a strong preference for all shows to be cut (and with no sector boundary errors). I find it more convenient to have shows cut personally since I have my stereo hooked into my computer and as it stands now the only way I can skip through cue stops on a disc image is by cutting the show myself and using winamp/foobar2000. Or I guess I could load the show into EAC and listen there (bleah).

Not so many ppl are burning audio cdrs these days so it is near-unanimously preferred to cut them into tracks.

Gizby
2006-01-03, 10:31 PM
since we started this site we've only had one show uploaded as a disc image as you describe. they used to show up occasionally at sharingthegroove.org but the users showed a strong preference for all shows to be cut (and with no sector boundary errors). I find it more convenient to have shows cut personally since I have my stereo hooked into my computer and as it stands now the only way I can skip through cue stops on a disc image is by cutting the show myself and using winamp/foobar2000. Or I guess I could load the show into EAC and listen there (bleah).

Not so many ppl are burning audio cdrs these days so it is near-unanimously preferred to cut them into tracks.
With a minor change to the .cue file, you can just load the .cue file into foobar without converting to WAV or needing to cut up the file. That's what I do with my non-live music collection.

mbself
2006-01-04, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. Individual tracks it shall be.