PDA

View Full Version : BitTornado doesn't kill process when closed

aikox2
2005-12-29, 10:10 AM
Has anyone else noticed that when you kill/close/finish sessions using BitTornado (latest version), they still remain active processes in Windows 2000 or XP (btdownloadgui.exe), slowing down system performance? I emailed the author, but got no response.

This problem became obvious to me when I went into task manager and found many more instances of btdownloadgui running than I had active BT sessions. Also, when shutting down, invariably I get warnings that the task cannot be shutdown...

This seems to be a serious flaw, and I wonder if the other BT clients have this problem. I am not a fan of Azureus, but am open to other suggestions.

Thanks for any feedback,
Aiko

gsmyth79
2005-12-29, 10:59 AM
I always have said Azureus is the best client and haven't used any other one except Tomato torrent. I'm on a Mac so things may be different.

I updated my Java and my system is flying right now.

aikox2
2005-12-29, 11:29 AM
I always have said Azureus is the best client and haven't used any other one except Tomato torrent. I'm on a Mac so things may be different.

I updated my Java and my system is flying right now.

I don't know if this is a Windows bug, but it probably is.

My biggest fear of Azureus is that the last time i used it, I was suddenly inundated with what my firewall (Sygate) called serious port attacks through the port I opened for Azureus. I never had that problem with Tornado. I was getting probed every 5 seconds from all these different IPs, and you know how painful that can be ; )

Anyone else want to add there 2 cents?

Aiko

Gizby
2005-12-29, 11:48 AM
When I used BitTornado, I noticed the exact same problem you did. And man, all those processes would just sap the system resources. Something like 30 megs each. And if I tried to cancel them, I would get the yellow light the next time I opened one up.

Might I suggest µTorrent (http://www.utorrent.com/)? Ridiculously small drain on resources.

aikox2
2005-12-29, 12:57 PM
Might I suggest µTorrent (http://www.utorrent.com/)? Ridiculously small drain on resources.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. You are the second person to suggest uTorrent, and i had never heard of that one before. I just checked their site, and I will give it a try when I get home.

Aiko