PDA

View Full Version : problem: seeding really slowly

jedimojave
2005-12-21, 01:34 AM
Hello,
I'm currently seeding my first show. The problem is that I'm seeding really slowly. While or after I've downloaded somebody else's show, I can easily get upload speeds of 200+ per show, but with my show, the upload speed is dragging and at times seems to be at zero, even though there are seven leeches. I've tried removing and pausing existing shows on my torrent program, but it's made no difference. I've switched it back and forth from regular to super-seeding mode and that also seems to make no difference. Does anybody know what's wrong? Thanks!
:confused:

Here's the URL to the show if it helps:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15979

TheMamba
2005-12-21, 06:03 AM
You are firewalled. Which...isn't the end of the world when you are seeding. However, 10 out of the 12 leechers are also firewalled.

So, you and the other firewalled folks will never be able to connect to each other. You are only able to connect to the 2 un-firewalled people.

www.portforward.com

Look for your router model, etc. Post back here if you get stuck.

Nice looking show, by the way. I'll jump on when I get home (and won't be firewalled!) :cool:

diggrd
2005-12-21, 06:05 AM
Which client are you using?
Try opening this TORRENT (http://bittornado.com/connection-checker.torrent)

jedimojave
2005-12-21, 02:46 PM
First off thanks for your feedback! I have two follow-up questions for you,

1) I disabled my firewall and my port number still shows in red brackets which I assume means that Traders Den thinks that I'm still firewalled. I've left it disabled for quite some time and it always shows in red brackets. Is the program not intelligent enough to know that I've turned it off and only goes by my settings at the time that I began the torrent? Beyond this, disabling my firewall didn't change my upload speed. I look forward to your thoughts about this.

2) Is it really wise to disable the firewall? I often leave my computer on overnight torrenting. When I check in the morning, I often get a "intruder tried to break into your system but was stopped" message. If I disable my firewall, doesn't this leave me vulnerable to attacks?

PS. I'm using µTorrent, which as I wrote earlier typically works phenomenally. I doubt that my speed issue is related to the program since I often get upload speeds of 200 kb/s with other people's torrents. I look forward to your thoughts and ideas on this. Thanks!

Five
2005-12-21, 03:01 PM
you shouldn't turn your firewall off completely

you just need to forward some specific ports

try portforward.com

sorry that's all I can say for now this isn't my area of expertise

hope this helps

greenheatherc
2005-12-21, 03:22 PM
First off thanks for your feedback! I have two follow-up questions for you,

1) I disabled my firewall and my port number still shows in red brackets which I assume means that Traders Den thinks that I'm still firewalled. I've left it disabled for quite some time and it always shows in red brackets. Is the program not intelligent enough to know that I've turned it off and only goes by my settings at the time that I began the torrent? Beyond this, disabling my firewall didn't change my upload speed. I look forward to your thoughts about this.

Try restarting your computer once you have the firewall disabled for whatever port you have your BitTorrent Client set to. If this still doesn't work then are you connected via a larger server say through work or school? If so, then the firewall could be there and nothing you do on your computer will make a difference.

2) Is it really wise to disable the firewall? I often leave my computer on overnight torrenting. When I check in the morning, I often get a "intruder tried to break into your system but was stopped" message. If I disable my firewall, doesn't this leave me vulnerable to attacks?

Like Five said, you only need to unblock the firewall for the port you have your client set to.

PS. I'm using µTorrent, which as I wrote earlier typically works phenomenally. I doubt that my speed issue is related to the program since I often get upload speeds of 200 kb/s with other people's torrents. I look forward to your thoughts and ideas on this. Thanks!

It's not your client. It's def. a firewall issue. I went through this same thing just last week. Good luck. :D :D

U2Lynne
2005-12-21, 04:25 PM
I have a link in my signature for forwarding your ports through an XP firewall. That will leave the firewall on, but just allow your bittorrent client to get out through your specified ports.

Do you have a modem or router? Look up the model number on portforward.com and that should help. You will need to either restart the computer or at least restart your torrent after whatever you do to not be firewalled.

Lastly, as Heather said, if you are at school or work, you may not be able to do anything about your firewall.

HopOttin
2005-12-22, 04:02 PM
Does it matter if you have multiple bittorrent clients? Sometimes I find one works better than another, sometimes the other way around.

HopOttin
2005-12-30, 12:28 PM
Is there a way to find out if the 20kps upload speed that I'm consistently getting is my max capacity or if I have not yet met my potential?

I've gone through the whole port forwarding/firewall process so I think the channels are all open. I have cable internet so I want to say that I should be getting more. I am running through a router, which is a few years old. Could that be hindering my speeds? What about the cable modem itself, which is an external?

U2Lynne
2005-12-30, 12:42 PM
You can run a speed test: http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ (That's just the first one I found when googling.)