PDA

View Full Version : Additional Seeding Problem(s)

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 11:06 AM
Okay....so what am I doing wrong this time?

I uploaded these two Sonic Youth shows and according to my BitTorrent client, I am currently seeding. For one of the shows (the 9/14/87 show) it does not show up on this tracker as being seeded. What's up with that? :hmm:

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 11:07 AM
Also, as you an see from the above image, someone is trying to download the 12/10/88 show but according to my BitTorrent client, I'm not connected to anyone. Again, what's up with that. :confused:

U2Lynne
2005-12-14, 11:18 AM
The problem with your 9-14 show was that you maybe had your text file open when you created your torrent file. This will make it so when you try to seed the show, you will never reach 100%. (It looks like Five pulled it because of this problem. Maybe you two are already talking about it.).

Just close all the files for that show and recreate the torrent file. Then you should be albe to reach 100%.

U2Lynne
2005-12-14, 11:19 AM
Oh, as for the 12/10 show, both of you are firewalled, which is why nothing is going on yet. One of you needs to forward your ports or else wait for someone else who isn't firewalled to hop on.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 11:28 AM
Oh, as for the 12/10 show, both of you are firewalled, which is why nothing is going on yet. One of you needs to forward your ports or else wait for someone else who isn't firewalled to hop on.

I'm firewalled!?! :eek:

Isn't port 6881 port forward?? What should I do next.

U2Lynne
2005-12-14, 11:33 AM
Your port is shown in red which means you are firewalled. Did you forward your ports through your modem? I'll assume you have your computer firewall off, since I think that is the default. For forwarding instructions for your router/modem, go to portforward.com . I've gotta take off for a couple of hours, but I can help you out with the port forwarding when I get back (or some other Mod may stop off in the thread and help out).

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 11:41 AM
The problem with your 9-14 show was that you maybe had your text file open when you created your torrent file.

That was indeed the problem. Thanks Lynne.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 11:47 AM
Your port is shown in red which means you are firewalled. Did you forward your ports through your modem? I'll assume you have your computer firewall off, since I think that is the default. For forwarding instructions for your router/modem, go to portforward.com . I've gotta take off for a couple of hours, but I can help you out with the port forwarding when I get back (or some other Mod may stop off in the thread and help out).

Oh man....I can't even find my router so I can't even get past step #1. I'm connected via an ethernet cable that plugs into the wall much like a phone jack. There is no information written on the plate to this jack. :confused:

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 11:56 AM
Now what the hell have I done? I count as three seeds even though I'm technically uploading squat? I suck at the internet.

TheMamba
2005-12-14, 11:59 AM
Oh man....I can't even find my router so I can't even get past step #1. I'm connected via an ethernet cable that plugs into the wall much like a phone jack. There is no information written on the plate to this jack. :confused:

What's on the other end of the cable? Just the back of your computer?

TheMamba
2005-12-14, 12:00 PM
Now what the hell have I done? I count as three seeds even though I'm technically uploading squat? I suck at the internet.

That will work itself out, don't worry about it.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 12:09 PM
What's on the other end of the cable? Just the back of your computer?

Yeah.....a blue ethernet cable that plugs into the side of my laptop and the other end goes into the wall.

That portforward site is hard to understand. I don't know what any of that shit is.....so I don't know which link to click. I really would like to know more about this firewall stuff but I can't make any sense of the info. posted there. I'm totally at a loss here. :(

TheMamba
2005-12-14, 12:28 PM
Heather, got your PM.

So lets try to figure this out and walk you through it. I've got a meeting at work at 3 PM but I'm free between now and then.

What kind of laptop? XP or Mac?

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 12:37 PM
Heather, got your PM.

So lets try to figure this out and walk you through it. I've got a meeting at work at 3 PM but I'm free between now and then.

What kind of laptop? XP or Mac?

You rule. :icon_hug:

Okay I have a Macintosh PowerBook G4 and I found this by doing a search for 'firewall' but again.....don't exactly know what it is or how I should change it or even if it has anything to do with my problem.

TheMamba
2005-12-14, 12:38 PM
For XP:

To add a port
You must be logged on to this computer as an administrator to complete this procedure.

1. Open Windows Firewall.
2. On the Exceptions tab, click Add Port.
3. In Port number, type the port number that you want to add.
4. Select either TCP or UDP.
5. In Name, type a short name for the port to help you remember what it is used for.
6. To specify which computers can use the port, click Change Scope.
Do one of the following:
To allow connections from any computer, including those on the Internet, select Any computer (including those on the Internet), and then click OK.
To allow connections from your local subnet only, select My network (subnet) only, and then click OK.
To define a custom list, select Custom list, and then type a list of IP addresses, subnets, or both, separated by commas.

Notes

To open Windows Firewall, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Windows Firewall.
If you are not sure what port number to use or whether to choose TCP or UDP, check the documentation or the Web site for the program or service that you're adding a port for.

TheMamba
2005-12-14, 12:40 PM
Oops! :lol I jumped the gun there.

OK, I'm not too familiar with Macs. Let me do a little research for a few minutes.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 12:41 PM
For XP:

But I have a Mac....

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 12:42 PM
Look's like I jumped the gun too.... :lol

Thanks for your help.

TheMamba
2005-12-14, 01:00 PM
OK, I found an old Lynne post:

Do you have your Mac firewall turned off? (System Preferences > Network > Firewall).

If that doesn't help...I seem to recall that you do all your torrenting at work right? Your IT department may have those ports firewalled at the server. You can try changing which port you use (in your client) to something that is not usually blocked. I dunno...say pick a random port between 49152 and 65535.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 01:16 PM
OK, I found an old Lynne post:

If that doesn't help...I seem to recall that you do all your torrenting at work right? Your IT department may have those ports firewalled at the server. You can try changing which port you use (in your client) to something that is not usually blocked. I dunno...say pick a random port between 49152 and 65535.

There's no firewall option under the networks preferences. :hmm: I'll try changing my port from 6881 to some random number.

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 01:43 PM
If you're at work, they probably have ports firewalled like that from the inside on purpose and you won't be able to open them from your computer. You're going to need your IT person to do that, and I can pretty much guarantee that's not happening. If enough people hop that aren't firewalled on you will start upping eventually.

IMO the seeder being firewalled doesn't matter nearly as much as the leechers.

I'm firewaled at school, and that obviously doesn't stop me from uploading ;)

So just let it run and it will pick up. You probably have a T1 at your lab.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 01:49 PM
If you're at work, they probably have ports firewalled like that from the inside on purpose and you won't be able to open them from your computer. You're going to need your IT person to do that, and I can pretty much guarantee that's not happening. If enough people hop that aren't firewalled on you will start upping eventually.

IMO the seeder being firewalled doesn't matter nearly as much as the leechers.

I'm firewaled at school, and that obviously doesn't stop me from uploading ;)

So just let it run and it will pick up. You probably have a T1 at your lab.

Nope. I just got off the phone with my IT department. They told me where to look and informed me that I am not firewalled. The do not firewall the servers either. See:

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 01:50 PM
and if I'm firewalled that means when I leech.....I'm being that guy. I don't wanna be that guy :(

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 01:52 PM
How can you be leeching if you're seeding?

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 01:56 PM
How can you be leeching if you're seeding?

on a different torrent silly.....

So if I start to download that WR Zep show I just stumbled across then I'll be leeching.....behind an invisible firewall. I'm confused. Do I just need to change the port # in the BitTorrent client?

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 02:22 PM
I would. Use a really high number like 70000 or something. The important part is to make sure that your BT client and firewall are on the same #.

BTW I would not turn your firewall off like that. Even on a Mac that's a bad idea. In that window you posted go to new and select other as the type of port. Then call it Bit Torrent or something and put in the # you want to use. Turn your firewall back on and open up the BT port only (check the box).

I would suggest using Azureus as you client. If it is giving you problems with slowing down your machine, update your Java here, I would do the first 2 updates:
http://search.info.apple.com/?search=Go&lr=lang_en&kword=&q=java%20update

Then in Az, use the port you put in your firewall as your lietening port. Then you can easily do a NAT check and see if it worked or not. I'd probably restart after installing Java and Az, too. But install the newest Az first, and it actually tells you that you need to upgrade our Java when you run it for the first time.

Good luck.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 02:29 PM
I would. Use a really high number like 70000 or something. The important part is to make sure that your BT client and firewall are on the same #.

BTW I would not turn your firewall off like that. Even on a Mac that's a bad idea. In that window you posted go to new and select other as the type of port. Then call it Bit Torrent or something and put in the # you want to use. Turn your firewall back on and open up the BT port only (check the box).

I would suggest using Azureus as you client. If it is giving you problems with slowing down your machine, update your Java here, I would do the first 2 updates:

Then in Az, use the port you put in your firewall as your lietening port. Then you can easily do a NAT check and see if it worked or not. I'd probably restart after installing Java and Az, too. But install the newest Az first, and it actually tells you that you need to upgrade our Java when you run it for the first time.

Okay I really don't like Azerus that much. I installed the latest version and updated my java but I'm still running 10.3.9 and this OS doesn't get along well with Azerus. I need to update to 10.4.1 but my institution won't let me just yet because they cannot support it until they do a little more tweaking. Everything is updated but Azerus is still a little squirrely and I think it's an OS issue.

My BT client and my firewall ports are the same....well I thought they were. My IT dude did just what you said. He made a new box....called it port forward for music and called that port 6881 which is what my client is on (altough the tracker for one of the shows says 6882).

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 02:35 PM

Good luck.

Okay....so I changed the range on my client:

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 02:36 PM
It works great on my machine. I'm running 10.3.9 and 2.3.0.6 Az.

Not sure what the problem is, have you repaired permissions recently?

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 02:36 PM
Az is just soooo much better IMO. All your torrents in one window and you can control everything.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 02:37 PM

and it jives with the ports I entered for sharing music....

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 02:37 PM

With Az you only need one port, no range. Sorry, I just don't use any of the other programs so I can't help ya...

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 02:40 PM

and I'm still listed as 'firewalled'

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 02:42 PM
restart your comp and try again, everything looks pretty good. the 50000 one should work, which i guess is your latest effort.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 02:44 PM
With Az you only need one port, no range. Sorry, I just don't use any of the other programs so I can't help ya...

Well when I tried AZ before....I noticed that:

A: I wasn't uploading to people even though I was seeding and they were leeching. I'd open the torrent with BitTorrent and I could seed.

B: I could upload sooooooo much faster with BitTorrent.

C: I get a zillion error messages with AZ. "Torrent not found on tracker" etc. but then I can open them just fine with BitTorrent. I know other Mac users that have had similiar problems.

I'm willing to try though. I'll change the port # in my system preferences to 69,690 and use that as my port in AZ. Then I'll open the torrents with AZ and see if that makes a difference.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 02:45 PM
restart your comp and try again, everything looks pretty good. the 50000 one should work, which i guess is your latest effort.

ahhhh....I didn't try restarting the computer. Just the BitTorrent application. K...hold on. If that doesn't work, I'll try with AZ. Like I said, when I'm leeching I don't wanna be that guy. Thanks for all your help Graham. :icon_hug:

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 02:51 PM
Well when I tried AZ before....I noticed that:

A: I wasn't uploading to people even though I was seeding and they were leeching. I'd open the torrent with BitTorrent and I could seed.

B: I could upload sooooooo much faster with BitTorrent.

C: I get a zillion error messages with AZ. "Torrent not found on tracker" etc. but then I can open them just fine with BitTorrent. I know other Mac users that have had similiar problems.

I'm willing to try though. I'll change the port # in my system preferences to 69,690 and use that as my port in AZ. Then I'll open the torrents with AZ and see if that makes a difference.

69690: :thumbsup

Az takes a little tweaking but not much. PM me if you need help setting it up. I'll be home in about an hour and can help you then.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 02:53 PM
Nope. Restarting the computer makes no difference....and I just said FUCK really loud. I'm sure everyone heard me.

I'm this close||to throwing this laptop out the window. Good thing the windows in my office don't open.

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 02:55 PM
hmmm, maybe IT lied to you about the server firewall, because that's the ONLY thing I can think of. Something is out of your control here.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 02:58 PM

Az takes a little tweaking but not much. PM me if you need help setting it up. I'll be home in about an hour and can help you then.

Looks like that's what I'm gonna have to do. Thanks for all your help. I'll seed anything you want off my list.....that is if I can. ;)

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 02:59 PM
hmmm, maybe IT lied to you about the server firewall, because that's the ONLY thing I can think of. Something is out of your control here.

well we'll see....I can try from home. I have DSL there and don't go through the lab's servers.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 03:07 PM

and that bombed too....

I put the music port at 69690
Set my preferences to 69690
Tried to open the torrents in AZ and it's not working. Plus I'm still listed in the red.

I'm on the phone with IT again.

U2Lynne
2005-12-14, 03:15 PM
Is that plain ole BitTorrent that you are running, Heather? Mine looks different than yours in the preferences pane you show.

For me, I've got my ports forwarded through the firewall (althought sometimes I don't have that on). I have the same ports listed in the bittorrent client (mine just asks for one port, same with in Azureus though I use the next number up) and I have them also forwarded through the router.

If your work has no firewall, then you should be set. Or, do you have any sort of anti-virus protection on your Mac? That's the only other thing I can think of that would cause these problems.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 03:19 PM
and that bombed too....

I put the music port at 69690
Set my preferences to 69690
Tried to open the torrents in AZ and it's not working. Plus I'm still listed in the red.

I'm on the phone with IT again.

Werd. Yeah....the institution is firewalled only it's not exactly a firewall. I just called IT and told them the truth.....

Turns out the guy that I talked to runs AZ and is forwarding me a little Dashboard Widget thingy. He also showed my how to run the VPNClient so I won't be firewalled from home. Woot!!

And along the way I've learned alot about ports, firewalls, and made a new friend down in IT. He'd never heard of Dimeadozen......and now I have an off the record guy to go to for my Bit Torrent needs.

So yeah during the day I'm firewalled but I won't be in the evening from home. :) :) :) :) :) :)

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 03:20 PM
Is that plain ole BitTorrent that you are running, Heather? Mine looks different than yours in the preferences pane you show.

For me, I've got my ports forwarded through the firewall (althought sometimes I don't have that on). I have the same ports listed in the bittorrent client (mine just asks for one port, same with in Azureus though I use the next number up) and I have them also forwarded through the router.

If your work has no firewall, then you should be set. Or, do you have any sort of anti-virus protection on your Mac? That's the only other thing I can think of that would cause these problems.

My institution is firewalled....:mad:

Know anyway I can get around that??? What's this port forward thing you speak of? And yeah it's plain old BitTorrent. I probably need to update it.

saltman
2005-12-14, 03:34 PM
preface. I don't know what I'm talking about.......

sounds like a hardware firewall... you're not gonna be able to do anything without access. proxy server will not help.

TheMamba
2005-12-14, 03:42 PM
My institution is firewalled....:mad:

Know anyway I can get around that??? What's this port forward thing you speak of? And yeah it's plain old BitTorrent. I probably need to update it.

You were forwarding your ports when you were messing around with the firewall a few posts above. Telling the firewall which port to open is "port forwarding."

And, you're probably SOL when it comes to the institution being firewalled...unless you can get sweet on an IT guy. :eek:

greenheatherc
preface. I don't know what I'm talking about.......

sounds like a hardware firewall... you're not gonna be able to do anything without access. proxy server will not help.

yeah I think that's the problem....I should be fine from home if I connect via a VPN client.

TheMamba
yeah I think that's the problem....I should be fine from home if I connect via a VPN client.

Let us know how it goes! :D

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 03:44 PM
And, you're probably SOL when it comes to the institution being firewalled...unless you can get sweet on an IT guy. :eek:

hmmmm....might be worth it. :lol

I'll just be able to upload to non-firewalled peeps in the day and then have free reign at night. Such is life. They bought me this computer and DVD burner and this nifty external HD so I can't really bitch.

Thanks all for your help. I'll should be able to help out the next person that has this problem, although that portforward web site still makes no sense to me....

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 03:52 PM
I can't even upload to myself. I'm seeding in BitTorrent and leeching with AZ. :lol :lol :lol

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 04:09 PM
So it's working now, or not? I bet your institution (like mine) is on a T1 so you should have blazing fast upload speeds. Did he mention what kind of line you're on?

I wouldn't mention to the IT about how much you upload, though, because they might have a fit (I u/l 100 gigs a day or so when I bring my comp to school).

Now if you have a wireless router at home you will also need to open up your particular port in the router. If you have an Airport this is very easy. If you plug right into your modem you should be sweet and it will be green light all the way. The portfrowrad website is more for PC users. Again, Macs rule.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 04:38 PM
So it's working now, or not? I bet your institution (like mine) is on a T1 so you should have blazing fast upload speeds. Did he mention what kind of line you're on?

I wouldn't mention to the IT about how much you upload, though, because they might have a fit (I u/l 100 gigs a day or so when I bring my comp to school).

Now if you have a wireless router at home you will also need to open up your particular port in the router. If you have an Airport this is very easy. If you plug right into your modem you should be sweet and it will be green light all the way. The portfrowrad website is more for PC users. Again, Macs rule.

I'm not home yet. I will be in about 45 minutes. I hope you're still around because nothing ever works the way it should first time. I always need help. I think our connection is T1+ or maybe even T3....and yeah I've uploaded 500 kiB/s no problem.

The router at home is not wireless. I got a box with the blinking lights and whatnot but fwiw I do have airport. The dude in IT said I'd have to connect using a VPNClient but now that I think about it.....I should only need that if I'm trying to connect to my computer if it's at the lab and I'm using an external computer to access it. The VPNClient allows me to get around the firewall so I can connect to my own personal computer if it's in the office and I'm not.....Just a guess tough. We'll see.

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 04:46 PM
I'm not home yet. I will be in about 45 minutes. I hope you're still around because nothing ever works the way it should first time. I always need help. I think our connection is T1+ or maybe even T3....and yeah I've uploaded 500 kiB/s no problem.

With this situation, I have no problem "leeching" from school as you call it. Because once you get a significant portion of the file, you start upping really fast, thus speeding up the entire swarm and giving you a way positive ratio. I've been on torrents where 90% of the overall speed (at least what Az tells me) is solely form my u/l.

I'll be home in 20. PM if you need help with your box. :cool:

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 04:48 PM
With this situation, I have no problem "leeching" from school as you call it. Because once you get a significant portion of the file, you start upping really fast, thus speeding up the entire swarm and giving you a way positive ratio. I've been on torrents where 90% of the overall speed (at least what Az tells me) is solely form my u/l.

Well that does make me feel better (and explains some of the weirdness I thought I was seeing with Azerus). We can be that guy together.

I'll be home in 20. PM if you need help with your box. :cool:

You know I will :lol:

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 05:22 PM
I just emailed you back with my # too. It's probably way easier to do this over the phone.

TheMamba
2005-12-14, 05:24 PM
Exchanging numbers and helping with her box! :eek: :clap:

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 05:33 PM
Yeah. That's right baby.

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 06:00 PM
I just emailed you back with my # too. It's probably way easier to do this over the phone.

I HAVE ESCAPED THE FIREWALL!! :dance:

greenheatherc
2005-12-14, 06:08 PM
Werd. I'm seeding both shows right now.

That doesn't mean you're not going in the little black book though Graham. :cool:

Seriously guys....file this one in the archives. Problem solved. Thanks again for everyone's help.

gsmyth79
2005-12-14, 06:10 PM
Congratulations! That wasn't so hard now was it? :lmao:

olddude
2005-12-14, 07:18 PM
For a Mac w/Panther (OS 10.3x):

Open System Preferences>Sharing
Click on Firewall
Click New (right side, above Edit & Delete) and then add your ports as: Torrents (6881-6889)
Check the box at the front of the line you just typed
Your Firewall should now let those ports be open for up/downloading (you probably should do a restart). All other boxes should be unchecked unless you want to share any of the things listed.

I would assume Tiger (OS 4) will have approx. the same procedure. Earlier versions of X should be as above.

You don't seem to have a Router for networking (I do). If you did, you would need to open those ports as well.

Hope this helps. If not, post back and we'll try again.

Oldude