PDA

View Full Version : Slow D/L speeds

gretagun
2005-11-20, 02:27 AM
Hello,

I hope this hasn't been asked before, but here goes.

Why do I get such slow download speeds on Traders Den? I have been downloading the Jerry Douglas/Leo & Mike shows for 2 days, and I am still at 74%. For most of the download, there has been 1 seed, and my d/l speed was about 20 kbps. Now there are 5 seeds and I am only getting about 25 kbps. I am not firewalled, don't use a router so my ports don't need to be forwarded. I have d/l shows off etree with only two seeds, and was easily getting above 100 kbps. Does this sound normal, or is there something else that could be wrong? I am by no means complaining, I think the people on here are much more mature and friendly than other sites, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of Bit Torrent.

Thanks

TheMamba
2005-11-20, 09:14 AM
Your overall download speed is primarily determined by everyone else's overall upload speed.

The two people on etree could have both had T1 connections and weren't seeding anything else.

The five people here could have all been on dial-up. Or, they could have been using DSL but also seeding other things, or cruising the internet, or downloading other torrents. Or THEY could have been firewalled. Etc. etc.

So...it has nothing to do with The Trader's Den. It's just a function of the peers on the torrent you're on.

gretagun
2005-11-20, 10:12 AM
So...it has nothing to do with The Trader's Den. It's just a function of the peers on the torrent you're on.

Yeah I didn't figure it was the Trader Den, I thought I'd just ask. Thanks for the explanation Mamba, that makes perfect sense now. Sounds like upload speed is the big factor, I asked my computer savy friend about this after I posted, and he pretty much said the same thing also. Thanks again.