PDA

View Full Version : webcast to dvd

saltman
2005-11-08, 11:31 AM
I've got a webcast I've captured. It's 700Kb/s, .wmv 8gb split into two 4GB files. I would like to put this onto dvd so that I can add selectable tracks and be able to watch it on my tv.

What is the best method to go about this. I suppose it needs to be encoded to mpg2. Doesn't seem like there is any point in encoding it into a higher bitrate. Does the DVD spec allow bitrates this low?

Any other ideas? is there a way to do it without renencoding? What is the best method. It's about 20 hours of footage.

Thanks in advance....

AAR.oner
2005-11-08, 11:55 AM
the only way i've done it is to convert to .dv and then run thru FCP/DVDSP...it turned out alright, no noticeable loss of quality from the original that i could see...

but there might be a way without re-encoding, i just don't know it

saltman
2005-11-08, 12:05 PM
the only way i've done it is to convert to .dv

can you explain a little more. is .dv a mac extension? or do you mean using a dv cam as a pass thru. I think this would be rencoding it to avi..... which would be large files. Vegas can import the .wmv directly and I can use it to rencode to mpg2 if I have to.

AAR.oner
2005-11-08, 01:44 PM
.dv and .avi are similar file formats...both can be considered "uncompressed" if using the proper settings...actually, i might have converted to avi and not dv, i only did this once a long time ago, so my memories a bit rusty on it...

since Vegas can import .wmv files, i'd try that first & see what the results are like...to the best of my knowlege, theyre's no way to convert to DVD without re-encoding, but i could be wrong...

have you searched over at videohelp.com yet? i'm sure there's somethng on the subject