PDA

View Full Version : Digitizing Vinyl (Personal Question)

unclepenny
2016-10-23, 01:42 PM
Hey, nothing to do with boots but I paid 10 bucks for over 125 pieces of classical records at an estate sale yesterday. A good amount is not on itunes or CD so I want to digitize them. I bought my father a pricey USB turntable a few years ago and he used VLC to edit and get rid of static and what not on his collection.

I don't know a whole lot about this besides converting audio cassettes and VHS tapes. Is there a better program to edit records than VLC? I have a laptop with Windows 10. These won't be shared as they are commercial releases but I thought this was the place to ask for advice. Thanks!

uninvited94
2016-10-23, 01:46 PM
Audacity should do it in most cases.

http://www.audacityteam.org/

unclepenny
2016-10-23, 02:17 PM
Aye, I meant Audacity and not VLC, that's just a player. I've used that with audio cassettes and loved it, I export a WAV file, save it and can use itunes to burn a CD. Thank you.:thumbsup

Now I just need to get my lazy self to borrow that turntable and shlep all those records into my apartment.

uninvited94
2016-10-23, 02:21 PM
Audacity has a quite good equalizer. I was starting to remaster some older of my Zoom-captures with it, they sound completely different. The de-hissing might be not the best (and mostly best idea without really professional setup), but the de-clicker does a good job, IMHO.

unclepenny
2016-10-23, 05:04 PM
Yeah I digitized some old radio shows with Audacity and it was great. I even faded in and out of bumpers. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to make junk audio.