PDA

View Full Version : Is my recording worthy? Steely Dan Charlotte, NC 2016-07-02

FrankLeeVulgar
2016-09-20, 09:13 PM
I've been lurking here for a bit now and I've been wanting to upload this Steely Dan show I recorded, but want to make sure it's worthy. I am a casual taper. What that means to me is, I like to record shows, but have no desire to record with an elaborate setup. My priority is to have a good time at a show with the recording aspect being secondary. My recorder is a Tascam DR-05 and I've simply been recording with the internal mics in 24 bit mode. All I'm wondering is if it's worth my time to bother uploading here. I listened to another Steely Dan show from this year that I downloaded here and I truly thought mine sounded better (no disrespect to the taper intended). If you want to listen to the whole show, I have it posted on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvUvRRktb5I and please see included samples. Thanks for your time and interest and thanks for all the great downloads!

Audioarchivist
2016-09-21, 02:20 AM
Of course, man! Don't hesitate - jump in!

Every taper started somewhere with something. There are arguments that can be made for better gear and things, but others can equally argue that even the cheapest gear can produce some great results too (and a DR-05 isn't the lowest end of the scale by any means)! Tapers with experience will tell you that being in a good place to tape from makes the most difference. If you're positioned in a sweet spot for sound, you will capture some good recordings...

I would look into possibly doing some EQ on your recording to knock down a bit of the low boominess bass frequencies, and to boost the upper range, to make it more tonally smooth and more in-line with other recordings you like. The tweaks that a taper can do to improve and "master" their raw audience recordings, the better they will be appreciated. It's one thing to remaster someone else's recording (usually a bad thing) but I think it's good for a taper to control their work and do some proper mastering to it.

Good luck and have fun! This can be a really fun hobby and you can meet some very cool like-minded people. Remember, if you don't tape it, it's just a fuzzy memory. Cheers!

FrankLeeVulgar
2016-09-21, 08:03 PM
Thank you! I appreciate your kind words and encouragement.

dorrcoq
2016-09-22, 01:45 AM
Sure! I'm not really a fan, so won't download it, but there will be lots of people very happy to get it.

GRC
2016-09-22, 05:37 AM
Don't look on this as discouragement, but you may want to look around and consider whether or not the same show has already been circulated on sites like TTD, and whether or not the previously-circulated versions are better than yours or not ....

Your recording holds memories for you, but others won't hold the same rosy-tinted view, and will merely want the best recording, regardless of who did it.

Audioarchivist
2016-09-22, 02:03 PM
On the other hand, there are also a large group of folks out there who like multiple sources of the same show, even if one sounds "better" than another one. Sometimes there's obvious drastic differences in quality, but it can also be quite subjective to who's listening. Perhaps you captured something that they didn't? I think it's great to have alternatives...

I think that basically if it was captured, it ought to get shared, too. So, capture it and share it!

Homebrew101
2016-09-22, 02:20 PM
good thing freezer ain't here to read that!

sonofedg
2016-09-22, 05:31 PM
You'll never know until you take the risk. You could have something that has never been heard before. First do a search and if you don't see anything then go for it . . .

dorrcoq
2016-09-22, 06:34 PM
good thing freezer ain't here to read that!

You mean hoard it for 30 years, drop hints about what a great gem you have, and then eventually send it to somebody to upload a marked 1st gen copy?

Audioarchivist
2016-09-22, 09:17 PM
You mean hoard it for 30 years, drop hints about what a great gem you have, and then eventually send it to somebody to upload a marked 1st gen copy?

No, no, I think it was something like 14th generation or something!:lol4: Didn't he talk about being buried in a casket made out of his masters? :lmao:

If you're able to put something "new" out then please do. Someone will be happy that you did...

BlackBart
2017-09-03, 11:28 AM
Sounds great on my laptop. Thank you.

Unidecker
2017-09-04, 12:26 PM
i up'd mine now UP YOURS! ;)

HAPPY HOLIDAY