PDA

View Full Version : I've got flac files on CDs -

toys
2004-12-06, 12:36 PM
Does it matter what software I use to pull the flac files off the CDs to put on my hard drive before I create the torrent and post it? Do you require me to use EAC or CDparanoia for this, or only if I was extracting audio files from CD to my hard drive before converting them to flac is EAC or CDparanoia required?

feralicious
2004-12-06, 12:44 PM
No, you can just copy them over. They are data files so it's safe, which is why the method of saving them for trading and sharing is used. No worrying about diginoise being added to them etc... EAC and cdparanoia are important to use when extracting audio files which are a whole different ballgame.

U2Lynne
2004-12-06, 12:52 PM
flac files (and shns and ape... ) are data files. Treat them like text files. Drag and drop them onto your hard drive. EAC is used to extract *audio* from an audio CD (you will end up with wav files).

jcrab66
2004-12-06, 12:55 PM
what they ^^^^^^^ said

Five
2004-12-06, 03:22 PM
^^^what they said.

plus, before you create the torrent:

This might not be necessary, but I've read that sometimes there's trouble when trying to create a torrent from read-only files. To easily fix this:
1) right-click the folder you just copied to your computer and select "properties"
2) uncheck the "Read-only" box and click "Apply"
3) select "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files" then click "OK"
4) click "OK" to exit properties.

Now the next part is a must: If the set is SHN or APE, check the md5s! If your set is FLAC, drag and drop all the FLACs into FLAC frontend and click "Test". I was at a friend's place recently and it sometimes took several attempts to get data files off of data cdrs before they passed these tests.

dorrcoq
2004-12-06, 03:44 PM
Now the next part is a must: If the set is SHN or APE, check the md5s!

how about using your foobar2000 tutorial and converting them all to FLAC? :D

Five
2004-12-06, 04:18 PM
how about using your foobar2000 tutorial and converting them all to FLAC? :D
:thumbsup that too!

feralicious
2004-12-06, 04:19 PM
Whee!

dorrcoq
2004-12-06, 04:21 PM
Whee!

Us? ;)

feralicious
2004-12-06, 04:23 PM
Oui! :lol

dorrcoq
2004-12-06, 04:24 PM
Oui! :lol

in keeping with the French theme - OOH LA LA!!! :cool:

dorrcoq
2004-12-06, 04:32 PM
:thumbsup that too!

HAHAHA I went through what I still have on my hard drive, and was disappointed I had so few in SHN. I wanted more practise! :lol

Next will be the tags, I think

toys
2004-12-06, 09:12 PM
^^^what they said.

plus, before you create the torrent:

This might not be necessary, but I've read that sometimes there's trouble when trying to create a torrent from read-only files. To easily fix this:
1) right-click the folder you just copied to your computer and select "properties"
2) uncheck the "Read-only" box and click "Apply"
3) select "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files" then click "OK"
4) click "OK" to exit properties.

Now the next part is a must: If the set is SHN or APE, check the md5s! If your set is FLAC, drag and drop all the FLACs into FLAC frontend and click "Test". I was at a friend's place recently and it sometimes took several attempts to get data files off of data cdrs before they passed these tests.

Yeah... I got my initial question answered, and then never checked back to see if anyone had anything else to say before I created my torrent file and posted it. Everything seems to be going okay, so hopefully people won't be posting messages after they complete the download saying they're having problems. Could you maybe post these guidelines in with the rest of the seeding guidelines? I would have been easily able to check the FLAC files before making my torrent, but like a fool didn't even think to do it since nobody told me to beforehand.

Five
2004-12-06, 09:32 PM
Yeah... I got my initial question answered, and then never checked back to see if anyone had anything else to say before I created my torrent file and posted it. Everything seems to be going okay, so hopefully people won't be posting messages after they complete the download saying they're having problems. Could you maybe post these guidelines in with the rest of the seeding guidelines? I would have been easily able to check the FLAC files before making my torrent, but like a fool didn't even think to do it since nobody told me to beforehand.
We're working on that right now, sorry for the confusion!

toys
2004-12-06, 09:36 PM
You keep working on making your seeding guidelines foolproof, I'll keep working on new ways to be foolish. Thankfully, I hadn't deleted the copies of the files that I'd made so that I could listen to the show while I shared it. Tested all the flac copies just now, and they're all okay. If the copies test out, the originals have to be fine. My torrent should have no problems. Thanks again.