PDA

View Full Version : Does Westwood One put out CDRs?

emptyzero
2004-12-05, 04:45 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~emptyzero/disc1.jpg

nevermind the waviness, that is caused by the plastic on the paper cd envelope.

I recently aquired a 2 disc set of a westwood one show I wanted to seed here...they look nice as hell until you turn them over and realize they are cdrs. This confuses me because I've always seen:

Westwood One Silvers > EAC

not

Westwood One CDRs > EAC

I am just trying to find out if they burn official cdrs of shows? I don't want to get yelled at so I am doing my research. Can anyone verify official Westwood One cdrs? I hate to say it but I don't think they exist...

thanks for any help in clearing this up.

emptyzero
2004-12-05, 04:48 PM
"Silver CD > CDR > Lossless is not a legal lineage."

yeah it's not looking good for these getting seeded...

Sid
2004-12-05, 04:48 PM
I have a few original WW1's with cue sheets & they're on silvers.

Sid
2004-12-05, 04:52 PM
does it look something like this>

http://www.searchingforagem.com/WestwoodOne1994TomPetty_small.JPG

Sid
2004-12-05, 04:55 PM
sample
lineage =plextor dvdr>ww1 original disc>EAC(secure)>wav-flac(level 8)

emptyzero
2004-12-05, 06:35 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~emptyzero/disc1.jpg

looks like that, might have to refresh. hmmm oh well I guess I can run a freq. analysis and at least make sure they are not mp3 sourced but even still they won't be seeded.

Sorry deftones fans.

RainDawg
2004-12-05, 07:42 PM
If they are indeed originals, even if they are CDRs, then seed away. But if they are a CDR ripoff of an original silver disc, then hold off.

I am going to move this thread to technobabble where it might get some more response.

emptyzero
2004-12-06, 08:19 AM
Thanks RainDawg. sorry for not starting this out in technobabble. Does anyone know how I can verify whether or not they are official cdrs? they look pretty damn official but I just didn't think westwood one would circulate cdrs. If you'll notice they are Pioneer cdrs.

RainDawg
2004-12-06, 09:32 AM
I really have no idea how to tell for sure. I'm assuming these are digitally clean, right? No diginoise or gaps or anything? Honestly, I'd be fine with seeing this seeded as long as you put a note into the seed about what you've got, the background research you've done, etc. We don't want to stifle clean seeds from making it out there, just make sure people check up on what they have a bit.....

CDR is fine if that's what circulates :).

U2Lynne
2004-12-06, 10:00 AM
And of course, the good ole CDR(x) for unknown generation, right Stephen? ;)

SpankSinatra
2004-12-06, 10:45 AM
i have about 3 westwood one shows and they are all on silver cd's.....that does look pretty official though with the print on the cd...the logo is questionable it just dosnt look like something westwood one would do... you might be able to e-mail westwood one but they probably won't give you a straight answer since technically the radiostations are supposed to send those back...

SpankSinatra
2004-12-06, 10:51 AM
on second thought that absolute live logo is the real logo
http://www.westwoodone.com/music_ab_live.asp

so maybe it's a real cd...why they have it on a cdr i have no idea.... maybe to save money ??

oldbrokentapes
2004-12-06, 12:28 PM
For the people who have silver Westwood originals - are they definitely pressed or could they be silver-bottomed CDRs? Check for the presence of an IFPI code both pressed in the inner-most plastic ring of the disc and written in the inner-most silver ring. Alternatively/additonally, use EAC (Write... CD-R... Display Information) to see if a dye-type can be identified - if it can't then the CD is pressed silver. To me it would seem very very weird for Westwood one to spend such large amounts of money getting discs pressed when they can only need a few copies every time.

For John, is there any sign (label seam round the edge) that the printing is applied via a clear sticker rather than thermally printed onto the disc. If it's a label then I'd say it was more likely to be an unofficial CDR.

emptyzero
2004-12-06, 03:37 PM
IFPI code both pressed in the inner-most plastic ring of the disc and written in the inner-most silver ring

1 of each. also the label is on there GOOD. made a small smudge with my finger. No signs of a sticker label. For sure seems to be a thermal pressing of the label.

I think this might be good to go as a Official Westwood One CDR > EAC > FLAC

oldbrokentapes
2004-12-06, 03:40 PM
The fact that the CDR has IFPI codes means it has definitely been through a professional duplication plant, and is thus highly likely to be official. One last check I can think of is to find another mass-produced bootleg CDR (e.g. one of the Nirvana Outcesticides) and see if those have IFPI codes. I'm not an expert on the area, but my guess is that a disc that's been through a "bootleg" pressing plant would not have IFPI numbers, while an official disc obviously would. Can anyone help us out on this?

emptyzero
2004-12-06, 03:44 PM
Disc One
silver ring: CD-R 74MIN PBHS 0065
Plastic Ring: 2108EH2833800HS2

Disc two
silver ring: CB74S-3007
Plastic Ring: 2107EG3134619HS3

emptyzero
2004-12-06, 03:48 PM
anyone else have this on the bottom edge of their official westwood discs...

NOT FOR SALE * ALL RIGHTS RESERVED * UNARTHORIZED DUPLICATION IS IN VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE LAWS * FOR LICENSED BROADCAST USE ONLY

oldbrokentapes
2004-12-06, 03:49 PM
ahhh shit I didn't make myself clear. IFPI numbers look as follows, eg on Around The Fur:

plastic: IFPI 0578
disc: IFPI L012

Very small typeface. They identify the plants at which the discs were made. All the random stuff on this CDR is just typical of any old CDR. Didn't think CDRs ever had IFPI codes anyway so looks like I might have been right on that front.

emptyzero
2004-12-06, 04:55 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~emptyzero/freqanaofwestwood.JPG

emptyzero
2004-12-06, 04:56 PM
sorry it's so big =/

oldbrokentapes
2004-12-06, 04:59 PM
We are figuring that the frequency analysis shows that it's definitely pre-FM rather than a bootleg taken from a broadcast. As such it's either official, or a very meticulous copy of an official disc. Assuming meticulous copy, it's gonna be a high quality first-gen CDR at worst, but I think it's far more likely just to be an official Westwood One disc. So I'm hoping it's cool to be seeded... :)

emptyzero
2004-12-06, 05:46 PM
What do some of the Mods think about me seeding this? I will take out the commercials. That warning on the bottom kind of scares me but I've seen other westwood one stuff seeded.

U2Lynne
2004-12-06, 06:05 PM
I have no problem with it being seeded here. I have a few WO shows myself and think they are awesome!

Five
2004-12-06, 06:34 PM
Looks good to me. It would seem that WO is issuing CDRs now, perhaps another will turn up at some point.

Karst
2004-12-07, 04:36 AM
See here:

http://eil.com/products/rolling-stones-live-in-san-diego-256905.html

It tends to be referred to as a CD-R acetate. Lot of artists tend to produce these as promos these days as test-pressings aren't really needed anymore. Considering the Nirvana aspect mentioned above here is an essay about it:

http://www.livenirvana.com/pr3/testpressings/info.html

So I would say the above discs come straight from the master which would make them 1st gen.

Five
2004-12-07, 05:34 AM
brilliant, Karst, you solved the mystery

emptyzero
2004-12-07, 06:42 AM
This is good to hear because I EACed (secure) the discs and got 100% track quality on all tracks. I'll try to get the commercials cut out after work and include the eac logs, scans of the dj queue sheet and try to get a good one of the discs for good measure.

prosthetic
2004-12-08, 11:24 PM
:D yay!

darth9neo
2004-12-09, 06:21 AM
anyone else have this on the bottom edge of their official westwood discs...

NOT FOR SALE * ALL RIGHTS RESERVED * UNARTHORIZED DUPLICATION IS IN VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE LAWS * FOR LICENSED BROADCAST USE ONLY

WW1 sends me "The Beatle Years." I did a random check and all the ones I looked at are CDRs -- blue. They do include the legend above on the bottom edge.

d9n