PDA

View Full Version : RIP Karmakat

zeptrade
2015-11-30, 07:23 AM
That's all the info I have at this time. I know Kat has alot of friends here who will be praying for her.

Update 12/1/15
Alx Wyzy
12 mins ·

It is with great sorrow that I am to announce that my mother, Karlyn Perkins Sugg, has just passed this morning. This has been a truly tragic event that no one expected.

Early Saturday afternoon she was taken to the hospital after suffering from a large hemorrhage in her brain. The doctors did all they could do but with the location of the bleed we were told it was inoperable. She was kept on life support with little chance of recovery until this morning when her heart stopped working, and I had to make the call.

I find peace knowing that she was very loved by those around her, and had so much support by friends and family around her. She was a great woman who helped a lot of people through tough times. Her heart was definitely in the right place.

I love you mom. This was way too soon, but I know you'll find your way to the ultimate bonus round.

Charles Manson
2015-11-30, 08:09 AM
:( .

mdshrk1
2015-11-30, 08:25 AM
There are no updates on the book of faces, just that's she's very ill.:nono:

spursfan
2015-11-30, 08:45 AM
My prayers to my fellow Texan. She is always so nice to me.

MalFrie
2015-11-30, 09:39 AM
Man, She was nice to EVERYBODY!
I`m gobsmacked!! :eek3::eek3:

Asymmetric
2015-11-30, 01:18 PM
Please get well soon Kat!

I found this:

Ashley Innis Dumas: I am Alx and Cassidy's step-mom. Karlyn was disoriented at work over the weekend and admitted to Baylor Irving with cerebral bleeding. There's not much we can do but pray right now.

lucas65
2015-11-30, 01:21 PM
Shit.

Get well Kat!

general eclectic
2015-11-30, 02:33 PM
Hope she pulls through it, my thoughts go out to Alx and Cassidy...

AAR.oner
2015-11-30, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info, all I knew was she was in the icu...Will be praying for you Kat

dazed64
2015-11-30, 06:03 PM
Get well soon Kat

U2Lynne
2015-11-30, 07:32 PM
{{{Kat}}}

Thinking of you lots and lots and sending get well vibes your way.

dasmueller
2015-11-30, 07:51 PM
send a TTD T-shirt !

azdanger
2015-11-30, 08:47 PM
I will say a prayer for you this evening Kat, we had stopped talking a month or so ago, I wasn't sure if it was because of me or something you chose to do.
Get well soon and tell the kids the fork with the sharpened tines is mine

jcrab66
2015-11-30, 09:14 PM
Barring a miracle she's not going to make it...

nootin
2015-11-30, 09:25 PM
that sucks...don't know her well or personally, but we had a few good belly laughs right here in our disguises, I'm pulling for that miracle

Charles Manson
2015-11-30, 10:17 PM
:( :(

general eclectic
2015-12-01, 01:45 AM
I will say a prayer for you this evening Kat, we had stopped talking a month or so ago, I wasn't sure if it was because of me or something you chose to do.
Get well soon and tell the kids the fork with the sharpened tines is mine

Be assured it wasn't you, she spoke very highly of you last week when I called her. She was tired and had lots of things in the pipeline that were keeping her very busy.

The doctors are probably trying to figure out why she won't let go of the fork.

rspencer
2015-12-01, 02:00 AM
Kat suffered a brain aneurysm. She shows no brain activity and is on life support.
They are just waiting for Cassidy to get to Dallas to say goodbye.

Sail on, Kat. :(

Cheezdude
2015-12-01, 02:57 AM
Gosh, that's terrible. :(
I don't know her, or many of you, but I am sending vibes to her and her family.

general eclectic
2015-12-01, 04:19 AM
Kat suffered a brain aneurysm. She shows no brain activity and is on life support.
They are just waiting for Cassidy to get to Dallas to say goodbye.

Sail on, Kat. :(

:(

Thanks Reg, I've not been able to find out that much 'til now. I figured it didn't look good when her friends were encouraged on fb to drop by the ICU.

:cry:

general eclectic
2015-12-01, 04:55 AM
This best describes how I'm feeling right now

YsCSGSArvp8

azdanger
2015-12-01, 05:25 AM
Be assured it wasn't you, she spoke very highly of you last week when I called her. She was tired and had lots of things in the pipeline that were keeping her very busy.

The doctors are probably trying to figure out why she won't let go of the fork.

Thanks GE, means alot to know that.

mdshrk1
2015-12-01, 06:38 AM
Alx Wyzy
12 mins ·

It is with great sorrow that I am to announce that my mother, Karlyn Perkins Sugg, has just passed this morning. This has been a truly tragic event that no one expected.

Early Saturday afternoon she was taken to the hospital after suffering from a large hemorrhage in her brain. The doctors did all they could do but with the location of the bleed we were told it was inoperable. She was kept on life support with little chance of recovery until this morning when her heart stopped working, and I had to make the call.

I find peace knowing that she was very loved by those around her, and had so much support by friends and family around her. She was a great woman who helped a lot of people through tough times. Her heart was definitely in the right place.

I love you mom. This was way too soon, but I know you'll find your way to the ultimate bonus round.

Damn.

retired
2015-12-01, 06:45 AM
Damn, RIP kk :( ...positive vibes to Alx & Cassidy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcvng9u7REE

MalFrie
2015-12-01, 07:12 AM
Fuck.....RIP..............I`m at a loss for words................Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!

thetv
2015-12-01, 07:16 AM
The world just lost a huge amount of good in it. This is absolutely horrible. RIP karmakat. You will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

donohuer
2015-12-01, 07:30 AM
no words. at work, testing shit, worst possible site/page/thread to pull up. And as shitty as I feel, it isn't as bad as those two kids and all of the people that knew her in real life and in person.

iaSMs4E8V6E

one last time with you "show buddy" RIP

uninvited94
2015-12-01, 07:37 AM
Don't know what to say or write at the moment. Damn.

dr-funkenstein
2015-12-01, 07:41 AM
Damn. That's awful. Peace to her and her family.

mdshrk1
2015-12-01, 07:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paEQc668kY4

Cool runnings, Kat.

dasmueller
2015-12-01, 09:05 AM
No words come easy. Most likely she did not suffer which is about the only good thing from this. She had an odd way of playing but once you got to know her she was fun.

You will be missed. Regards to her family and friends.

zeptrade
2015-12-01, 09:41 AM
There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I love you more

Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life, I love you more
In my life I love you more

uni-fi
2015-12-01, 10:37 AM
Kat was a wonderful person who accepted the fact that she was batshit crazy, and just rolled with it. She was unapologetic, and lived life on her terms. She was the very first person to "welcome me" (to be read as jumping me in) to the lounge, and we shared many special times and private side conversations throughout the years. She just turned 50, which is WAY to young to leave this world behind, but I wish her well on her journey, where ever that may take her.

I know she was an eternally twirling dead head, and lived her life according to a lot of those lyrics (which at some very low times, saved her life). I searched high and low, and one verse stood out among all the others. She was a HUGE Robert Hunter fan, and I would like to believe that he wrote this verse a long time ago for times like these, and people like Kat...

Leaving Terrapin

Render us your blessing,
to multiply in kind
Send your mercy down among us
the lame and halt and blind
Let us rest at ease and if
you die before we do
leave us words of love and peace
to stand instead of you

paddington
2015-12-01, 11:07 AM
well this is just crap

I really enjoyed talking shit to her, as she seemed to enjoy it.

sad day.

do what you can... while you can... 'cause tomorrow you may no longer be able to.

dasmueller
2015-12-01, 12:08 PM
^ good advice

U2Lynne
2015-12-01, 12:39 PM
I still cannot believe she is gone.

I never met Kat in real life - only talked with her here, on Facebook, and via AIM. You couldn't put anything past her because she would always call you on it. I loved her smile - it spoke volumes. I hope she is at peace. Twirl on, twin, twirl on.

Jackstraw_1969
2015-12-01, 04:21 PM
RIP Kat.

AAR.oner
2015-12-01, 05:15 PM
At a loss, uni pretty much summed it up...she was one of the first I ran into here that I recognized from the STG days...lots of interesting conversations over the years, drunk & then sober...she was a one-of-a-kind lady to say the least, much much love Ms Kat

My prayers are with Alx n Cass, I can't imagine

SIBLY
2015-12-01, 05:53 PM
How terribly sad. Good vibes out to her family and friends ~~~~~~~~~~~

dasmueller
2015-12-01, 08:35 PM
I will miss her mornin' peeps !

thetv
2015-12-01, 08:57 PM
:cry:

inside'eye
2015-12-01, 10:21 PM
xxx

dorrcoq
2015-12-01, 10:55 PM
Very sad to hear this.

rspencer
2015-12-01, 11:30 PM
Kat could be brutally concise, or rambling. Sarcastic, or very caring.

She got dealt a lot of pain & trouble in her life, some by her own hand, but she used
that to hone a true compassion for people. She lived through some situations that might destroy many people, but she maintained a positive attitude most of the time.

Kat truly loved music. She had this drive and enthusiasm, this desire to help musicians achieve their dreams. Sure, you may never play Carnegie Hall, but if you never play that next club gig, you're guaranteed not to. You wanna write that song? Do it. Wanna play that club, or book that tour, work with that band? Do it. Push for it. She joked that she was a Muse, and in some ways, she was.

It was heartwarming when she finally followed her own advice. When talking about her interviews & writing about local music, her enthusiasm was overflowing. She seemed so much more about her subject than her byline--it was about sharing this musician and the music she loved, not about getting credit for the story.

I'll always appreciate the long talks we had on the phone, discussing a myriad of topics, mostly music-related, but occasionally whatever life had thrown at either of us over the years. Deciphering that east Texas drawl could be like reading Braille made of syrup sometimes :) but her warmth always came through.

I'm gonna miss her.

Cheezdude
2015-12-02, 03:18 AM
RIP Kat. May the four winds blow you safely home.

james0tucson
2015-12-02, 01:46 PM
Heartbreaking news.
I am the guilty party who introduced Karlyn to the Grateful Dead, which she initially rejected *entirely*. Sometime in 1984 that turned around and, like everything else Karlyn ever got into, she got fully into it. And by that I mean, went so far as to move to the Northeast, started catching every show, started trading tapes by the case. Made me insanely jealous when she did that. Like when she complained about being exhausted from seeing the '91 MSG run, and by that I mean all nine shows. :rolleyes:
As friends we go back to childhood and this is very personal for me, extended family, friends and neighbors. Yesterday when I heard the news it really put things into perspective, because I had been upset this week about an unresolved business deal I had with her.
If you knew Karlyn, you know she went through a LOT of stuff and came out right side up. And you know she left a mark on everyone she came in contact with. It's not really the case that "everyone liked her" -- people were often pretty put off by her fast moving, self-centered personality -- but those traits gave her a dominant presence in every situation she put herself into, and it served her well.
I loved Karlyn and cherish the many years of friendship we had together. I never had many truly close friends, and while I tended to take her friendship for granted, since she was such a constant presence for so long, I realize today that I've always been grateful.
The thing that's breaking my heart is the absence of a few individuals who have left already, because they are the ones who would be able to share the personal memories with me. A lifetime of "little things" that no one else would understand, and a whole lot of stuff that wouldn't be appropriate to bring up with strangers but I feel myself wanting to burst with untold stories.

James, from Oak Cliff Texas

daddyray
2015-12-02, 01:49 PM
nicely put, James.

nootin
2015-12-02, 08:58 PM
Kat truly loved music. She had this drive and enthusiasm, this desire to help musicians achieve their dreams. Sure, you may never play Carnegie Hall, but if you never play that next club gig, you're guaranteed not to. You wanna write that song? Do it. Wanna play that club, or book that tour, work with that band? Do it. Push for it. She joked that she was a Muse, and in some ways, she was.

I'll say, not that I'm a musician but reading this reminded me that I just recently acquired a shit ton of Tommy Bolin mp3's all because I read her going on and on about him, not even to me, I think it was Homebrew she was talking to and he was telling her which she needed to round out her collection lol. Of course I had heard of Tommy Bolin before but never really gave a shit, but her enthusiasm prompted me to see what the fuss was about once and for all and I intended on cross referencing with her about what I did or didn't like and vice versa..I'm really sorry it ain't gonna happen, she was a great pen-pal and I realize how much I just assumed she'd be there when I was ready to go at it with her about Mr Bolin and it just brings another layer of sadness to the news.

ps (and I have all the Zephyr shit too) :(

bato
2015-12-02, 10:47 PM
I always appreciated Kat's contributions to threads over the years. RIP, Kat. :cry:

ace_flyer
2015-12-02, 11:09 PM
I met her online via the old fidonet bbs echomail system back in '88-89. i had and still have close to 60-700 cassettes and probably sent her many cases of tapes. Got to actually meet her a couple of years ago. What a hoot that girl was. Wonderful person.

Heartbreaking news.
I am the guilty party who introduced Karlyn to the Grateful Dead, which she initially rejected *entirely*. Sometime in 1984 that turned around and, like everything else Karlyn ever got into, she got fully into it. And by that I mean, went so far as to move to the Northeast, started catching every show, started trading tapes by the case. Made me insanely jealous when she did that. Like when she complained about being exhausted from seeing the '91 MSG run, and by that I mean all nine shows. :rolleyes:
As friends we go back to childhood and this is very personal for me, extended family, friends and neighbors. Yesterday when I heard the news it really put things into perspective, because I had been upset this week about an unresolved business deal I had with her.
If you knew Karlyn, you know she went through a LOT of stuff and came out right side up. And you know she left a mark on everyone she came in contact with. It's not really the case that "everyone liked her" -- people were often pretty put off by her fast moving, self-centered personality -- but those traits gave her a dominant presence in every situation she put herself into, and it served her well.
I loved Karlyn and cherish the many years of friendship we had together. I never had many truly close friends, and while I tended to take her friendship for granted, since she was such a constant presence for so long, I realize today that I've always been grateful.
The thing that's breaking my heart is the absence of a few individuals who have left already, because they are the ones who would be able to share the personal memories with me. A lifetime of "little things" that no one else would understand, and a whole lot of stuff that wouldn't be appropriate to bring up with strangers but I feel myself wanting to burst with untold stories.

James, from Oak Cliff Texas

dasmueller
2015-12-04, 03:24 PM
:wave: :kat:

uni-fi
2015-12-04, 05:55 PM
Not sure if anyone has seen this, but it is Kat's obituary

http://www.jeterandson.com/memsol.cgi?page=timeline&user_id=1712713

dasmueller
2015-12-04, 08:00 PM
thanks Uni :thumbsup

Uncle Samīs Army
2015-12-06, 01:58 AM
I remember that Kat was a fan of The Residents, maybe we have talk about them, but iīm not sure
To die with 50 is a big fuck
Kat, have a good ride to the heaven of music
R.I.P.

Uncle Samīs Army
2015-12-06, 02:09 AM
from kat

Re: The Haiku Thread
I remember days
Meeting at my thinking spot
Dreams that slipped away

keeffromlondon
2015-12-06, 10:47 AM
Such very sad news. I am so sorry.

Rest in peace, Kat.

Daniel Brewer
2015-12-07, 07:49 PM
RIP Kat

dealtadawn
2015-12-11, 10:03 AM
I just found out. Thank you, Jude, for letting me know.

I've known kat online since, what? 2001 maybe? And was just about to have the opportunity to meet in person after moving to Dallas this upcoming January. I am so saddened to hear this. Kat had the biggest heart. She was so kind and I loved her annual Jerry Garcia traditions. I will be listening to the Dead in her honor this weekend. I hope she is sitting on top of a ledge with Jerry just hangin' around and having good conversation. She will be missed very much.

hugs and warm fuzzies everyone,
stef

direwolf-pgh
2016-01-05, 05:35 PM
ugh.. what the heck is this bullshit. To which i know Kat is replying.. Tell me about it!

Kat was a trip. One I much enjoyed. I find comfort knowing she lived her life on her own terms as she pleased. She often said she'd have plenty of time to rest later.

rest easy :wolfkat: sweet dreams

azdanger
2016-10-13, 06:46 PM
this happened as recently as two weeks ago, I was emptying the dishwasher (because it wont do it itself Das) and due to carelssness or something like that, I ended up getting stabbed by a fork. Goddamned that hurt! I thought of Kat immediately and how the whole thing would have made her chuckle and tell me to pay more attention to what I was doing,

:disbelief:

mdshrk1
2016-10-13, 07:23 PM
You forgot "stop whining, and deal with it." :wave:

dasmueller
2016-10-15, 01:00 PM
this happened as recently as two weeks ago, I was emptying the dishwasher (because it wont do it itself Das) and due to carelssness or something like that, I ended up getting stabbed by a fork. Goddamned that hurt! I thought of Kat immediately and how the whole thing would have made her chuckle and tell me to pay more attention to what I was doing,

:disbelief:

My dishwasher goes out of town periodically and leaves me at home to fend for myself. I love paper plates :D

U2Lynne
2016-10-16, 11:42 PM
She was too young to be gone. Life isn't fair at times.

azdanger
2016-10-17, 06:45 AM
I agree that she left too soon.
Yup, life isnt fair, that goes without saying most days

I didn't mention that the tines of the fork went up under the fingernail and drew blood. Thats really what prompted the thoughts of Kat.

Good thing nobody else was there to see it, I might have been though quite mad, smiling looking at my bleeding finger and a fork.

Sweet Jane
2016-11-27, 01:16 PM
Miss you. :(

mdshrk1
2016-12-09, 07:19 PM
Miss the Kat...very much....

tvhap
2017-11-27, 06:49 PM
Miss you. :(

rspencer
2017-12-03, 01:30 AM
I miss that Texas drawl that was so strong there were conversations that I think I only really understood every other word. :) I hope her kids are doing well. They meant so much to her.

tvhap
2018-11-27, 10:19 PM
:wave:

dasmueller
2018-11-27, 10:37 PM
she was a treasure for sure !!

paddington
2018-11-27, 11:11 PM
:kat:

azdanger
2018-12-02, 08:08 AM
I forgot about the fork incident, back to resenting clean dishes and metal utensils.

:bad:

tvhap
2020-11-28, 12:23 AM
:wave:

dasmueller
2020-11-28, 09:37 AM
thanks for reminding us tv

NoPride
2020-11-28, 05:03 PM
Who was she?

dramakat
2020-11-28, 05:39 PM
Who was she?OMG !! URBAN LEGEND

dorrcoq
2020-11-28, 07:59 PM
Who was she?

One of the best.

NoPride
2020-11-28, 08:50 PM
One of the best.

Can you link me her wikipedia page? I can't find it.

dorrcoq
2020-11-28, 11:21 PM
Can you link me her wikipedia page? I can't find it.

Why would she have a Wiki page? Do you have one?

Forrest Gump
2020-11-29, 12:30 AM
Why would she have a Wiki page? Do you have one?Yes. Yes I do.

NoPride
2020-11-29, 10:15 AM
Why would she have a Wiki page? Do you have one?

I thought she was a singer or an actress. I just realized she was a TTD member. My bad.

inside'eye
2020-12-05, 03:13 AM
She was a drummer, a Mother and a writer. But was her integrity that impressed me the most.

U2Lynne
2020-12-10, 09:42 PM
She was a good listener and late night chatter.

donohuer
2022-09-13, 04:38 PM
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/donohuer/barmaid.jpg

one more time for old times sake :lol4:

daddyray
2022-09-13, 04:42 PM
Think of the pic of her at her daughter's HS graduation. Dressed like a true crazy. I got some PMs back in the day....

donohuer
2022-09-13, 05:42 PM
My wife followed her for a bit. wonder what she's up to these days

Homebrew101
2022-09-15, 09:33 AM
My wife followed her for a bit. wonder what she's up to these days

Your wife?

check the cellar :D

daddyray
2022-09-15, 10:08 AM
One can find Kat news on her FB page I bet

Homebrew101
2022-09-15, 10:23 AM
I thought kat died?

I wonder if we'll see a visit by CCRider before 9/30?

daddyray
2022-09-15, 10:37 AM
I contacted CC about this the other day...yes, Kat is long dead. I posted on FB about the closing and some folks have popped back in.