PDA

View Full Version : NTSC vs. PAL

sonofedg
2015-02-15, 06:44 PM
What can I do to research why the format was changed? I've had a few shows pulled for that reason, and I don't know how to tell. The uploads are verbatim from the files I got. Any direction you could point me in would be greatly appreciated . . .PS, I've read through the various posts, and found no real information as to that issue. I guess the general rule is "when in doubt, throw it out?" . . . My sources are from legit trade sites and I alter them in no way . . . straight from an external hard drive . . . No DVD's are involved . . .

TomR
2015-02-15, 07:51 PM
The format, NTSC or PAL, may not be your problem.
Are any of your "pulled" commercial material?

BTW - for burning I use Nero which handles either format easily.

sonofedg
2015-02-15, 08:13 PM
No, nothing that's officially released material, spend about an hour or two looking for the ROIO before I upload, plus I list my sources from my research, The Mott post I thought I covered all the bases, that's what is so puzzling, It came from Dime . . .

ZJLI
2015-02-16, 04:33 AM
Ask the mod that pulled it, they'll tell you.

(I don't think rspencer knows that much so don't bother with him :whistle:)

sonofedg
2015-02-16, 11:19 AM
I figure it out, oh well . . .

rspencer
2015-02-16, 10:53 PM
(I don't think rspencer knows that much so don't bother with him :whistle:)

:disbelief

I don't know, in this case. :wave:

In general, European shows are often in PAL, North American in NTSC.
So the source may tell you why.

juxtiphi
2015-02-18, 06:20 AM
As far as I know, this site doesn't allow material that was converted from its original PAL format to NTSC because there is supposed to be some loss of quality in the conversion.

rspencer
2015-02-18, 11:20 PM
That is true.
I thought he was asking why it was pulled, as in how to tell it had been converted.
There is a loss of quality from the conversion, yes.

sonofedg
2017-02-07, 04:26 PM
Can we clarify the PAL to NTSC policy? I was under impression that if it was recorded in Europe then it's PAL. No questions. Please help me understand this.

paddington
2017-02-07, 04:36 PM
you're making an assumption, there.

We don't allow conversions from PAL (25 frames/sec) to NTSC (29.97) or vice-versa.

I pulled the first show you reported because there was no lineage. I have asked for clarification in the other show you reported.

We cannot just assume that something was shot in PAL just because it happened in London. Though PAL is the standard for retail releases there, you can take NTSC gear to shoot there and it will work fine.

We'll see what he says.

paddington
2017-02-08, 12:12 PM
these vids were shot in ntsc.

sonofedg
2017-02-10, 12:06 AM
That's what I thought . . . Thank You.