PDA

View Full Version : is port forwarding needed to seed your own upload?

pjthree
2015-01-26, 02:06 PM
Hello, I was wondering if its required that I port forward my modem in order to download a posting after I meet all other requirements in uploading a show.
I am able to download other posts and I got an error last time I tried to download my own uploaded post.
I have spent the last 2 hours going over a lot of technical details from port forwarding(from the link on this site) , trying to get dns numbers from my IPV( they won't unless I pay them a fee).
Is port forwarding a must?

Thanks Trader's den

pjthree
2015-01-26, 03:06 PM
I am using windows 7,a Verizon modem model-GT784WN.I also use BitTorrent 7.9.2
I followed the port forward instructions.when I got to Preferred DNS server I entered my IP ,when I got to Alternate DNS server it requires another #.I have not found this on my computer's info,router,and I called my ISP got bounced around for 30 minutes then I was told in order to get the DNS #'s I have to pay 39.99? there has to be another way.

aikowolf
2015-01-26, 03:31 PM
I just looked at the couple shows you are currently seeding and you don't appear to be firewalled

what was the error you received? and was it an error of the .torrent dl or something within your bt client?

jabulon
2015-01-27, 05:19 AM
I am using windows 7,a Verizon modem model-GT784WN.I also use BitTorrent 7.9.2
I followed the port forward instructions.when I got to Preferred DNS server I entered my IP ,when I got to Alternate DNS server it requires another #.I have not found this on my computer's info,router,and I called my ISP got bounced around for 30 minutes then I was told in order to get the DNS #'s I have to pay 39.99? there has to be another way.
There is. Regarding the required alternate DNS server: you can use Google's DNS severs for that: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or the OpenDNS servers: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

To check if a port is open, go to: http://www.canyouseeme.org/ You'll see two boxes. The top one is your IP (no need to change) and the bottom one is the port you need tested. Fill in the port you want to test (the port BitTorrent is using, make sure the option random port selection is turned off). When running this test make sure BitTorrent is running. If they say that they can see you, all's OK. If not we'll have to look further.

DanielG
2015-01-28, 06:17 AM
No, port forwarding is not mandatory.

If you are firewalled, you can only connect to non-firewalled users. If you have got port forwarding set up correctly then you can connect to everybody.

You don't have to pay a fee to get port forwarding working. Port forwarding has nothing to do with your ISP and nothing to do with DNS.

I wouldn't bother getting port forwarding working. It sounds like you're not too technical so it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Jay
2015-01-28, 11:54 AM
Port forwarding is so easy. :D