PDA

View Full Version : New To Audacity

dasmueller
2014-10-14, 10:31 PM
I have been playing with Audacity today splitting some single track shows into individual tracks. After several attempts at splitting the 1st file I believe I have the process down to where it is at least useable. There are probably better ways than I am currently doing it but that will hopefully come w practice.

What I did notice that after exporting the files to a folder I had created for them is that if I were to play the folder in either Winamp or Foobar before running them through MP3Tag that both Winamp and Foobar renumbered the files and put them in alphabetical order. I thought this was odd as they had the correct track numbers during the export process. It's easy enough to correct but odd. Any idea as to why ?

JackDog
2014-10-15, 06:36 AM
I use Audacity for some things, but I prefer CDWave to split a file into tracks. In my opinion, CDWave is much easier than Audacity for this task.

http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php

mdshrk1
2014-10-15, 06:56 AM
I agree. Then, I tag them w/Foobar.

dasmueller
2014-10-15, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the tip. If I planned on doing a lot of splitting I would probably buy it. I only have 6 or so large files to split so will probably save the $15

spidergawd
2014-10-15, 02:03 PM
By "renumbered" are you saying that they renamed the files, or that they play them in alphabetical order (which would be expected)?

dasmueller
2014-10-15, 03:26 PM
They were renumbered and then arranged in the playlist in alphabetical order. I have never seen either Wiamp or Foobar do that. I'm guessing it had something to do w whatever tag Audacity may have applied in the export process.

Homebrew101
2014-10-15, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the tip. If I planned on doing a lot of splitting I would probably buy it. I only have 6 or so large files to split so will probably save the $15

its free shareware (http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=download.php)

dasmueller
2014-10-15, 04:06 PM
my understanding was that after 30 days one had to buy it ?

tonebloke
2014-10-16, 01:53 AM
In my opinion, CDWave is much easier than Audacity for this task.

http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php

It also cuts on sector boundaries - so you don't have to fix them.

spidergawd
2014-10-16, 03:23 PM
Audacity can also cut on sector boundaries, if you use the "snap-to" function, but I agree that CDWave is much easier to use (or wavbreaker in the 'nix world).

As for the $15 shareware, IIRC from years ago, it never stops working, and basically nobody ever pays the $15, even though it's worth it.

dasmueller
2014-10-16, 04:15 PM
Audacity can also cut on sector boundaries, if you use the "snap-to" function, but I agree that CDWave is much easier to use (or wavbreaker in the 'nix world).

As for the $15 shareware, IIRC from years ago, it never stops working, and basically nobody ever pays the $15, even though it's worth it.

Thanks spider. I suspected that it might be software that did not quit working after the 30 days. I was looking for conformation.

omniscient_1
2014-10-16, 05:53 PM
Are you using Audacity's "label" feature and "export multiple" to create your individual tracks? Are you entering the required data in the metadata fields or just in the track name?

dasmueller
2014-10-16, 07:19 PM
Are you using Audacity's "label" feature and "export multiple" to create your individual tracks? Are you entering the required data in the metadata fields or just in the track name?

Yes, I am using the label and export multiple features. Then I export. I am not sure what you are asking about the metadata fields. I do not have anything to look at the moment. During the export process it shows each track w the correct track name and number. Maybe I am missing a step ?

omniscient_1
2014-10-16, 10:41 PM
With your original intact file, click "File," then "Edit Metadata." A screen will appear with fields you can fill in for performer name, track name, track number, album name, date, genre, etc. I noticed that changing the title of an exported Audacity track on the hard drive does not change the track title in my CD burning software. It only changes if you edit the metadata as I described here.

dasmueller
2014-10-16, 11:05 PM
Thanks !

Five
2020-02-21, 12:14 AM
cdwave is now freeware
http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=download.php

I've seen 100 threads like this about splitting shows, everybody telling 'try cdwave', check it out its great

also if anybody wants to talk audacity I'm game..