PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - PAR-files

te355
2014-05-02, 10:02 AM
Good evening all,

Why are there no PAR-files used in the torrents on the Traders' Den ?
I can not find anything about this in the FAQ.

Greetings Eric

bindershotz
2014-05-02, 10:52 AM
well probably because there are no archive (zip, rars or parchive) files allowed in the the torrents at all -

te355
2014-05-02, 10:56 AM
Hello Bindershotz,

OK, but why are they not allowed ?
Just being curious because I never see any.

Greetings Eric

Homebrew101
2014-05-02, 11:39 AM
The music files are FLAC and that is already a compressed format like zip etc.

te355
2014-05-02, 12:17 PM
Hello Homebrew101,

I know that, but PAR-files are used to repair damaged files (be it FLAC, txt, jpg or whatever else from a post).
The only reason for me would be that a thread is (of should be) always 100% perfect so there is no need for PAR-files.

When a thread gets stuck at 95% some PAR-files could fix the problem. But that is how it is done in the "newsgroups".

Thanx for your input, greetings from Eric

spidergawd
2014-05-03, 09:44 AM
Hello Homebrew101,

I know that, but PAR-files are used to repair damaged files (be it FLAC, txt, jpg or whatever else from a post).
The only reason for me would be that a thread is (of should be) always 100% perfect so there is no need for PAR-files.

When a thread gets stuck at 95% some PAR-files could fix the problem. But that is how it is done in the "newsgroups".

Thanx for your input, greetings from Eric

I don't know all the techie details but you've basically answered your own question there: if your client says you have downloaded 100% then you should have exactly what was posted (even if the original files were bad).

Your point about being stuck at 95% is interesting, but of course for par(2) files to help would require that the par(2) files themselves were downloaded 100%. Right? Most likely the missing bits would be spread out among the entire fileset. As you've stated, par-files have eliminated the need for re-posts in usenet, but I don't think they'd help with the bit torrent protocol.

MalFrie
2014-05-03, 09:58 AM
If it aint broke
Why fix it?

jabulon
2014-05-07, 07:23 AM
well probably because there are no archive (zip, rars or parchive) files allowed in the the torrents at all -
That.

Also note that Usenet (newsgroups) and bit-torrent are two different worlds/protocols. Usenet is not p2p. Downloading is done from multiple high speed servers (keep in mind that the whole thing has to be uploaded by someone first) and not from peers. You can only download files that are as old as your usenet retention allows.

te355
2014-05-07, 12:43 PM
Good evening all,

As Spidergawd wrote, I answered my own question.

Thank you all for your thoughts and answers.

Greetings from Eric:wave: