PDA

View Full Version : Wireless/firewall help

cmigliaccio
2005-08-19, 02:55 PM
Just moved to a new apartment and found out there are some wireless networks in my vicinity that I can connect to. However, I can't seem to get BT to work (using Azureus). Other downloads have gone very fast, but on BT, I get NAT errors. I don't have my own firewall up - using Norton Anti-Worm and gave Azureus full access to all ports.

My guess is that there's a firewall on the wireless network (whose settings I obviously don't have access to) and that's what's mucking things up. Other thoughts?

U2Lynne
2005-08-19, 03:21 PM
Yes, the wireless networks have firewalls and you need to be able to access it in order to forward your ports through it. And, as you said, you don't have access, so you can't forward your ports.

You may try a different client, just to see if it reacts differently to the errors you are getting.

jazzbo
2005-08-19, 03:30 PM
Just moved to a new apartment and found out there are some wireless networks in my vicinity that I can connect to. However, I can't seem to get BT to work (using Azureus).

:hmm: I'm worried that you say "networks in the vicinity", like it's people setting up wireless on their cable or dsl, who perhaps might be less-than-friendly about sharing what they are paying for with random heavy-bandwidth-consuming bit torrent user.

Other thoughts?

Um, get your own connection? Unless I misunderstood and this is a network supplied by the apartments?

smr
2005-08-19, 04:28 PM
Yes, I hate when people try that on my wireless router.I have had 3 people at once try and use my connection.I dropped a dime on them as I dont pay for others to use MY connection!

cmigliaccio
2005-08-23, 01:15 PM
Well, this is clearly a pretty serious network - 54mbps. So someone would have to do a lot of downloading and uploading to make a blip on it.

I guess I'll just be limited to direct downloads for the year (in limited amounts of course - it would be unfair to eat up lots of bandwidth daily).

Thanks to Lynne for the clarification.

farmstar
2005-08-23, 10:12 PM
Yes, I hate when people try that on my wireless router.I have had 3 people at once try and use my connection.I dropped a dime on them as I dont pay for others to use MY connection!

If you have your wireless network WEP or whatever wireless security you can use with your router, you won't have people useing your connection, and not broadcasting your SSID is key.