PDA

View Full Version : Why are my torrents so slow?

jenifers
2005-08-18, 05:21 PM
I run a mac and have wireless internet which is high speed (no idea what kind of high speed, just know the basics) but my torrent speeds are between 0-20 K/s (both upload and download) can anyone help me speed this up?

Thanks
jen

parachutestx
2005-08-18, 05:32 PM
Very simple

If there are more leachers then seeders or if there are only a few seeders there is your problem. Are you behind a Firewall also? :D

jenifers
2005-08-18, 05:41 PM
I honestly don't know much about computers....so sorry if I sound dumb. I can see that on one of my torrents I have 3 peers and 1 seeder. On the other torrent I have 33 peers and 7 seeds. Also, since I have wireless internet I have the option to 'allow other computers to share my primary connection to the internet(airport)' do I want to do that or not?

parachutestx
2005-08-18, 05:43 PM
3 peers and 1 seeder(more leechers then seeds).
33 peers and 7 seeds(Possibly more leechers then seeds)

U2Lynne
2005-08-18, 06:45 PM
I am pretty sure you do not want to share your primary connection with others. And, you need to forward your ports through your airport: http://www.portforward.com/apple/AirportBSX-portforwarding.htm

See if that helps.

gsmyth79
2005-08-18, 09:59 PM
DO NOT share your primary connection with other computers. You need to open up a single port on your airport and your computer.

If you're using Azureus, what color are you smilie faces? If you're not using Azureus I highly recommend it. You can use it pretty much as is or you can do a lot of customization. Get it here (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/) .

jenifers
2005-08-18, 11:07 PM
U2Lynne: where would I find my base station password? Does that come with the internet bill?

gsmyth79: I am using tomato torrent because my computer doesn't support anything better/faster. Hopefully this weekend I will be upgrading my software, but untill then I will continue to use tomato torrent.

This site is awesome, U2Lynne and others: you guys are SOOO helpfull and I am very thankful for people with the knowledge that are willing to help those without it.

:)Jen