PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh

jenifers
2005-08-14, 10:57 PM
I have a macintosh and haven't used bit torrent, or any type of compression tool in about two years. (I used to have a pc). Currently I have Azureus and xACT downloaded, but I am having problems opening azureus. It will open for about two seconds and then close immediately. I have downloaded entire shows before using azureus, but it seems it does not want to work now. I have deleted it and re-installed it before, but that does not seem to help. Can someone help me out or lead me to another bit torrent program. Also, if there is a better program than xACT (which i actually like a lot) I would be interested in trying it.

Thanks!
:)Jen

U2Lynne
2005-08-14, 11:03 PM
xACT is the best! Keep up with the latest releases on Scott's yahoogroup xACT-users.

As for Azureus, I used to love that program, but it has caused me problems with some sites since last November. So, I have had to just go back to the no-frills regular bittorrent client (http://www.bittorrent.com/). It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Azureus does, but it works!

paddington
2005-08-14, 11:09 PM
I HATE Azureus!

jenifers
2005-08-14, 11:33 PM
good to know, thanks. i downloaded the regular bittorrent...but it still does the same opening for a few seconds and then closing. do you know what that could be from? It's only happened with my bittorrent programs, nothing else on my computer

:)jen

U2Lynne
2005-08-14, 11:44 PM
Have you run disc utility on your drive lately? Do you leave your computer on overnight to do the nightly/weekly/monthly maintenance? What OS are you running? When did bt stop working for you?

jenifers
2005-08-15, 12:24 AM
U2Lynne:
Yes, I ran the disc check about a week ago
No, my computer goes to sleep after about 15 mins of inactivity so it doesn't stay on for extended periods of time
OS X 10.2.8
I'm not sure. The last time I am sure it worked was in March because I have flac files dated from then. I know I have tried using torrent in the past month and it has not worked, but I can't put my finger on an exact week/month when it stopped working. I do remember a time when if I would attempt to open the bt about 7/8/x number of times it would eventually work but it would take a few minutes for it to be happy

ffooky
2005-08-15, 02:29 AM
I'm afraid the very simple explanation is that Azureus and the current Bit Torrent are both OS X 10.3 minimum. Bits on Wheels is the same which leaves only Tomato Torrent available to you.

If you do get the opportunity to upgrade then I recommend that you do. Tiger I'm not hugely impressed by but Panther is a great improvement on 10.2.

U2Lynne
2005-08-15, 11:25 AM
I was wondering if it was an OS thing, which is why I threw those questions at her.

Go to versiontracker.com and you can get older versions of those applications that should work on your OS.

BitTorrent3.3a (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18286&vid=122100&mode=info)
Azureus 2.2.0.2 (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22820&vid=177728&mode=info)

jenifers
2005-08-17, 05:55 PM
awesome, thanks so much....i never would have thought to look at those two things. Hopefully I can get the newest upgrade on my machine this weekend from my brother, but we'll see till then.