PDA

View Full Version : Standalone DVD Player

livejamz
2013-11-03, 07:56 AM
I am wanting to burning my concerts to DVD to play on a standalone DVD player I am not having any luck. I have a Mac I have tried changing the format to vob,mp4,avi but nothing I have 2 different dvd players as well. PLease help.

xjsb125
2013-11-03, 09:23 AM
What program are you authoring the DVD with? When the authoring program is done, you should have at least a VIDEO_TS folder on your disc.

AAR.oner
2013-11-03, 09:54 AM
definitely need more info...

are these shows you've downloaded or is this footage you've shot on a camcorder?
what program do you usually burn discs with? [Toast, Burn, etc]

livejamz
2013-11-03, 10:57 AM
These are shows that I have downloaded. I have changed the format by just changing it from example: .vob to .mp4 and it promotes me to ok it which I do. I also used idealshare and did it that way still no luck. I am using a Macbook Pro. when ready to burn to dvd I i right click the file and go to burn to disc.

daddyray
2013-11-03, 11:25 AM
most stand alones hate those file sets...I bought Burn and a stand alone that is region free and that is what i do..I got sick of imagine burns that would not play on my DVDs/blu ray players. ya gotta burn VIDEO_TS files

xjsb125
2013-11-03, 11:38 AM
These are shows that I have downloaded. I have changed the format by just changing it from example: .vob to .mp4 and it promotes me to ok it which I do. I also used idealshare and did it that way still no luck. I am using a Macbook Pro. when ready to burn to dvd I i right click the file and go to burn to disc.

Simply changing the file extension won't allow the file to play on a standard DVD player. You're telling the DVD player that the file is something that it isn't. What format are the shows in? Are the shows you downloaded in a folder called "VIDEO_TS"? If they are, then you only need to burn that folder and the files inside it to a disc.

AAR.oner
2013-11-03, 11:47 AM

downloaded shows should not be changed, leave the file sets as they are [VIDEO_TS folder, with .ifo/.bup/.vob files inside]

i don't like the built-in "burn to disc" function on OSX, lots of problems with playability...i use Roxio Toast [$], but Burn is a free program:
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

EDIT: to burn a playable DVD in Burn -- select the "Data" tab > select "DVD (UDF)" from pull down > drag the downloaded show's VIDEO_TS folder to the window > click "Burn" button

daddyray
2013-11-03, 12:03 PM
that is critical info there about the Burn program.

livejamz
2013-11-03, 01:48 PM
Awesome Thank you so much finally got it to work, I have some great coasters as well. lol 2 other questions. if its not in a Video-TS folder do I do the same thing? Second if they are blue ray I do the same thing and get Blue Ray discs.

daddyray
2013-11-03, 02:31 PM
the folder is VIDEO_TS not dash.......blu ray requires other gear. the other question is not clear enough....what else are you trying to burn??? Audio file sets or what??
when burning a DVD one does not need to bother with the other folders. the Burn program incorporates that stuff automatically if I can put it that way...

livejamz
2013-11-04, 10:05 AM
Sorry for so many questions How do I get a .mkv file to be able to play on a standalone player then.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Homebrew101
2013-11-04, 10:37 AM
.mkv will not play on a dvd player, that is a blu-ray file (well a fileset container actually I think)

jabulon
2013-11-05, 05:49 AM
If you have a PS or X-Box you could play your MKV's from that.

philosman
2013-11-07, 02:41 AM
Sorry for so many questions How do I get a .mkv file to be able to play on a standalone player then.

Thanks for everyone's help.

For burning I suggest DVD Creator. I've gotten much better picture quality from what I've used previously (windows dvd maker).

You can download here (http://www.appgeeker.com/convert/burn-mp4-to-dvd.html), the program will convert most of video formats into DVD format and burn them to a playable DVD in one process.