PDA

View Full Version : PAL (dvd) to NSTC (dvd) region free & conversion

luckyvic
2013-05-19, 10:16 PM
Are there any freeware programs that will make PAL region and convert the format to NSTC. I've used IFOEdit to make it region free, I need to convert
PAL to NSTC. I also want to be able to keep the original menus, I would rather not have to re-author. Hopefully I can find something fairly easy to do this.

I have the Samsung C-5500 Blu-Ray DVD player (USA) and cannot be hacked.

Thanks in advance for help.

luckyvic

vladsmythe
2013-05-19, 11:33 PM
Good luck with that. I spent a couple of years on this. No freeware that I know of, because I found some software that does a great job, but PM me and I can give you a couple of possible solutions. There is some nice conversion freeware that I use for other stuff, and it may work for you.

lpmaskman
2013-05-20, 05:00 AM
Why you need to convert? Every normal standalone player can play both standards.

JackDog
2013-05-20, 07:31 AM
You'd save yourself a lot of time and trouble if you'd just buy a cheap dvd player that plays pal dvd's. Google "pal dvd player" and you'll find a bunch of dvd players for around $20 that will do the job.

vladsmythe
2013-05-20, 09:07 AM
Sony, Panasonic, Mitsubishi don't. Philips does. Most Blu Rays don't though.

Unidecker
2013-05-20, 09:33 AM
people still use dvd players ? meh media is dead setup an htpc and never deal with that shit again... and never mess with disc's/media so no worry's on lag/skips/pops etc also or discs getting damaged. so much better and easier too.
i tossed my dvd player out the window and copy'd every disc i owned to hdds and called it a day 2 years ago..

Unidecker
2013-05-20, 09:34 AM
even play bluray iso's off hdd no need for media and those problems

htpc can be done for under 100.00 check on it vlad and good day to you.

vladsmythe
2013-05-20, 10:18 AM
people still use dvd players ? meh media is dead setup an htpc and never deal with that shit again... and never mess with disc's/media so no worry's on lag/skips/pops etc also or discs getting damaged. so much better and easier too.
i tossed my dvd player out the window and copy'd every disc i owned to hdds and called it a day 2 years ago..

I'm very happy for you. :) I only chimed in to address (and maybe help) with luckyvic's question. I think it's a valid and fair question.

luckyvic
2013-05-20, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all the responses, I sincerely appreciate them all.
But, I don't want and can't afford to buy another, not even "cheap" standard dvd player. We bought the Blu-ray after the standard player died after 10 years. I am a disabled veteran and money doesn't grow on trees.
My Samsung Blu-Ray does not have the capability play anything except but NSTC. I've been the dvdhelp and all over the web looking for a solution. I don't care about BR dvds,
just would like to the several PAL dvds that I got DAD and TTD over the years.

vladsmythe
2013-05-20, 11:34 AM
luckyvic...I am trying out 3 different freeware applications and will give you my results later today. :)

luckyvic
2013-05-20, 11:38 AM
Thank you so very much! Take your time, I can wait.

Homebrew101
2013-05-20, 02:36 PM
You can also do this in IFOEdit which you already use. It doesn't work 100% of the time but almost

Edit the ifo and bup files like you probably did to change region but also change it everywhere it reads PAL to NTSC

vladsmythe
2013-05-20, 02:58 PM
I would be happy to honor a disabled vet with a brand new Philips DVP2880/F7.
I think it will handle all of your video needs. Please PM me your mailing address.

daddyray
2013-05-20, 03:24 PM
let's not forget using VLC on the computer....

luckyvic
2013-05-20, 05:09 PM
You can also do this in IFOEdit which you already use. It doesn't work 100% of the time but almost

Edit the ifo and bup files like you probably did to change region but also change it everywhere it reads PAL to NTSC

I did do that and the PAL to NSTC didn't work. I can try again and see if I missed something. I am trying to convert this one,

SUPERTRAMP - Queen Mary College 1977
[ This Place Records TPR DVD 003 ]

London, Queen Mary College, 10Nov77

(a) RFM TV broadcast ("classic" Rock Masters version):
1. Give A Little Bit
2. Bloody Well Right
3. Lady
4. From Now On
5. Babaji
6. Poor Boy
7. Dreamer
8. Another Man's Woman

(b) BBC4 10Nov06 broadcast:
1. Give A Little Bit
2. Bloody Well Right
3. Dreamer
4. Another Man's Woman
5. Hide In Your Shell

video : PAL, 720x576 (4:3)
audio : Linear PCM 48kHz (a) / mp2 48kHz 384bps (b)
length: 47 minutes (a) / 29 minutes (b)

sources:
- video (a): "Rock Masters" Russian bootleg DVDR dated 2001
- video (b): BBC4 TV broadcast, 10Nov06 (DVB-S)
- audio taken from stereo pre-FM sources (except b5):
a1,a3,a5,a8,b1,b4: WW1 Superstar Concert Series #93-29 CD
a4,a7,b3: WW1 Superstar Concert Series #98-23 CD
a2,b2: WW1 BBC Classic Tracks #93-01 CD
a6: London Wavelength BBC Rock Hour #343 LP

Unidecker
2013-05-20, 05:14 PM
vladsmythe i wasnt trying to make it a he said she said or point fingers
i was just looking to help just the same had i not tossed my dvd player working that played pal and ntsc i would have done the same as you and shipped it totally free to a vet or otherwise... sorry again was just looking to help .

uni

luckyvic
2013-05-20, 05:14 PM
I would be happy to honor a disabled vet with a brand new Philips DVP2880/F7.
I think it will handle all of your video needs. Please PM me your mailing address.

I sincerely appreciate your kind offer. But for now I would like to try to convert my PAL dvds and use my current Blu-Ray player. Please do not take
any offense. I'm stubborn and determined to make this work.

Were you able to come up with software that I could use?
"...I am trying out 3 different freeware applications and will give you my results later today."

Victor

luckyvic
2013-05-20, 06:48 PM
I do want to make it clear that I am a veteran and disabled, but not combat or service related. I was in the Army (also inactive reserve) and a Department of Defense employee
for 17 years total. My disability came in 2002 after suffering several heart attacks and severe bone loss due to undiagnosed celiac disease for 2 years. I don't qualify for social security disability benefits (I guess I need to be more f-cked up health wise), but that's okay because I intend to go for SS when I turn 62 in a year and a half.
So I wanted to clear that up. I'm not looking for charity or want anyone to feel bad for me. I'm doing fine. I am so touched by the kindness of the good people here. I've been since 2005 and hope to be around much longer.
Thank you very much TTD'ers!!

oxymoron
2013-05-21, 12:51 AM
you can also use Adobe Premiere, itīs overrated for your problem, but itīs FREE (an older version with full functions)!
search under www.adobe.com .../downloads

vladsmythe
2013-05-21, 08:03 AM
I sincerely appreciate your kind offer. But for now I would like to try to convert my PAL dvds and use my current Blu-Ray player. Please do not take
any offense. I'm stubborn and determined to make this work.

Were you able to come up with software that I could use?
"...I am trying out 3 different freeware applications and will give you my results later today."

Victor Yes Victor. I sent you a PM yesterday that you have not opened yet. I spent a few hours trying to come up with a solution. I did several attempts and looked at the results side by side. The best I found was Full Video Converter 9

http://www.softowner.net/2011/06/dow...rter-free.html

Homebrew101
2013-05-21, 10:04 AM
I did do that and the PAL to NSTC didn't work. I can try again and see if I missed something. I am trying to convert this one,

make sure you change all of the PAL entries, there are usually several in each IFO and BUP file, but sometimes it doesn't work, never determined why some do and some don't

DanielG
2013-05-21, 10:17 AM
Yes Victor. I sent you a PM yesterday that you have not opened yet. I spent a few hours trying to come up with a solution. I did several attempts and looked at the results side by side. The best I found was Full Video Converter 9

http://www.softowner.net/2011/06/dow...rter-free.html

FYI, your link is broken...

vladsmythe
2013-05-21, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

I pasted it but for some reason this forum doesn't allow it.

http://www.softowner.net/2011/06/download -full-video-converter-free.html

try connecting the -full-video-converter-free.html

vladsmythe
2013-05-21, 10:38 AM
Or just Google "Full Video Converter 9 free SoftOwner"

spidergawd
2013-05-21, 11:58 AM
I've achieved decent results (in other words watchable but not as good as playing the original files with hardware that can handle the native format) making menuless discs using: ffmpeg to rip the audio to .wav and the video to NTSC .m2v; SoX to alter the tempo of the audio to make it match the duration of the new video; and ffmpeg to simultaneously compress the new audio to ac3 and mux with the new video. SoX and ffmpeg are multi-platform, but I'm using Slackware and don't know of a linux equivalent of IfoEdit so I use dvdauthor to make menuless discs that just start playing from the beginning when inserted into a dvd player.

Like Unidecker I never (or rarely anyway) burn discs for my own use but now and then it's fun to grab a disc to take elsewhere, so for me the format isn't completely dead just yet.

vladsmythe
2013-05-21, 12:12 PM
I also burn and give away 50 -100 dvds per month. DVDS are portable. :clap:

luckyvic
2013-05-21, 10:26 PM
I downloaded it and it's now version 10 and not free. But thanks anyway.

luckyvic
2013-05-21, 10:38 PM
I want to thank everybody here for all your help. If something doesn't work out for now, no problem.

vladsmythe
2013-05-22, 08:36 AM
I downloaded it and it's now version 10 and not free. But thanks anyway.sent you a new link. I hope it works.

vladsmythe
2013-05-22, 11:42 AM
vladsmythe i wasnt trying to make it a he said she said or point fingers
i was just looking to help just the same had i not tossed my dvd player working that played pal and ntsc i would have done the same as you and shipped it totally free to a vet or otherwise... sorry again was just looking to help .

uni

Thanks. We all want the same thing. :) If all else fails, I'm happy to do the conversions for Victor myself. :thumbsup

vladsmythe
2013-05-23, 10:33 AM
I think I found the solution. Freeware that will convert just about any video format to any other format, PAL > NTSC etc. select the file, stick in a dvd and it burns immediately after conversion. also does not save the file, so it uses no additional space on your HD.

luckyvic
2013-05-24, 11:35 AM
OK, it worked, so far all looks okay. I will try to do the Joe Bonamassa Swizterland dvd,.

The only thing "bad", the dvd starts playing right away, won't go to menu to select songs. But I am enjoying the Supertramp 1977 concert!

Thanks vladsmythe!!

vladsmythe
2013-05-24, 12:54 PM
I'm glad I could help you Victor. Take care man. :)