PDA

View Full Version : PrrP remastering questions

duaneday
2013-04-29, 03:12 PM
Bravo to floydart for re-uploading the PrrP series. There are a lot of gems in there and everyone involved is to be commended.

The "Notes from the Re-Master" do have me wondering about a couple things:

(1) what, exactly, do they mean by "tonality"? (example: "Tonality was adjusted in a few spots to eliminate excesses but detail was enhanced throughout.")

(2) why would anyone use "segmental run-times" to calibrate speed correction, instead of intonation? In general, a band is much more likely to play a section of music significantly faster or slower from one night to the next than it is to play it significantly sharper or flatter. This may not be true for bands without keyboards or for bands who play over sequenced or pre-recorded backing tracks, but for 70s prog rockers with a Hammond organ in the band, they're tuning to a pretty consistent pitch for every show.

duaneday
2013-06-01, 04:20 PM
For an example of the dangers of using song duration to calibrate recording speed, check out disc 2 of PrrP GS11...
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104034

paddington
2013-06-01, 05:21 PM
Bravo to floydart for re-uploading the PrrP series. There are a lot of gems in there and everyone involved is to be commended.

The "Notes from the Re-Master" do have me wondering about a couple things:

(1) what, exactly, do they mean by "tonality"? (example: "Tonality was adjusted in a few spots to eliminate excesses but detail was enhanced throughout.")

kind of sounds like they covered up some clams, doesn't it? :hmm:

Audioarchivist
2013-06-01, 11:58 PM
I believe that adjusting "tonality" is just a fancy way of saying they EQ'd the shit out of it! haha

AAR.oner
2013-06-02, 07:39 AM
^^ :thumbsup

Henry
2013-06-02, 07:43 AM
they EQ`d some way to much, some shows I downloaded years ago sound better then some of these "re-mastered" ones..

direwolf-pgh
2013-06-02, 08:15 AM
we're not fans of remastered here ~ especially classic tapes that have been trading for decades

feel free to report overly tweaked out shows

duaneday
2013-06-04, 04:59 PM
I'm definitely not looking to have any PrrP torrents taken down.

I understand the bad rap that remastering has, because EQ and noise reduction are so subjective.

I do think, however, that properly executed pitch/speed correction, when needed, is a genuine improvement worth sharing. The same probably goes for careful removal of pops and clicks.