PDA

View Full Version : Creating checksums.

tonebloke
2012-12-19, 03:56 AM
I've been around for ages, and have ripped a shit-load of audio - creating checksums ad infinitum. But last night while doing one I had a "moment".

Up to now when converting .wav to .flac, using the automated config in TLH I create md5's for the converted files. Then create .ffp from the .flac files.

Have I been doing it the right way round?:hmm:

Should I be creating .ffp files when converting, and then the md5 from the .flac files?:hmm:

This actually has me thinking/puzzled.

:wave:

mdshrk1
2012-12-19, 04:16 AM
I don't do it as an automatic. Didn't really know it was possible. Because I tag my files, I do the st5, md5, then ffp, in that order. After the files have been tagged. One of the mods said that tagging doesn't change the st5, or ffp, but changes the md5. Which is why I do it the way I do.

:wave: Say hi to Bill the Cat for me. I miss him. Ack!

lintoni
2012-12-19, 07:03 AM
I don't do it as an automatic. Didn't really know it was possible. Because I tag my files, I do the st5, md5, then ffp, in that order. After the files have been tagged. One of the mods said that tagging doesn't change the st5, or ffp, but changes the md5. Which is why I do it the way I do.

:thumbsup

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=FlacFingerprint

A FLAC Fingerprint is generated only for the audio data portion of the file. (Therefore, changing the filename or the tags or FlacMetadata does not change the fingerprint calculation.) In contrast, an .md5 is generated against the whole file, including header portions.

st5 is equivalent to ffp for flac files, but st5 checksums can also be generated for shn and ape files.

Drgiggles1
2012-12-19, 02:51 PM
I create .ffp file with the tlh conversion, test, and delete original files. When all text files are completed than I do .md5 against all the files in the directory.

tonebloke
2012-12-19, 11:37 PM

Cat says hi! :wave: Loving retirement in Vanuatu!:lol4:

tonebloke
2012-12-20, 03:52 AM

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=FlacFingerprint

A FLAC Fingerprint is generated only for the audio data portion of the file. (Therefore, changing the filename or the tags or FlacMetadata does not change the fingerprint calculation.) In contrast, an .md5 is generated against the whole file, including header portions.

So the process should be: When converting .wav to .flac you create an md5, then create .ffp from the flac files.

Thanks for that! :thumbsup

mdshrk1
2012-12-20, 04:32 AM
So the process should be: When converting .wav to .flac you create an md5, then create .ffp from the flac files.

Thanks for that! :thumbsup

Only do that if you don't tag the files after you've converted to flac...the md5 changes if you do.

paddington
2012-12-20, 11:14 AM
I'd just not create the md5, at all, for audio files.

as stated, they only really are needed if you want to hash the tag data... if there are even tags (you should always tag).

Just use the FFP (ST5) hashes for audio and all will be well.

of course, still MD5 video files like mkv or vob

lintoni
2012-12-20, 11:18 AM
I'd just not create the md5, at all, for audio files.

as stated, they only really are needed if you want to hash the tag data... if there are even tags (you should always tag).

Just use the FFP (ST5) hashes for audio and all will be well.

of course, still MD5 video files like mkv or vob

mdshrk1
2012-12-20, 04:43 PM
... if there are even tags (you should always tag).

But many people don't & it's a pain. :wave: