PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive speed?

LastHonestFool03
2005-07-28, 01:49 PM
I'd like to know how to figure out how fast I can burn DVD's on my DVD +/- RW drive...it came already installed in thiis laptop, and it doesnt say how fast it is in any of the paperwork, or on the compaq website

is there a test out there I can use for my DVD drive? or how would I find that out? I want to to get the fastest possible DVD R/RW's I can use on my drive, and not get it faster than I can burn it

thanks all so much, again, sorry for so many stupid questions

Ted
2005-07-28, 02:44 PM
I want to to get the fastest possible DVD R/RW's I can use on my drive, and not get it faster than I can burn itIf I'm not mistaken, the speed rating of the disc can be faster than the burn rate of your burner. I know CDRs work that way, I assume DVDs would be the same, but I don't burn DVDs so I could be mistaken.

Post the model of your drive and I'll see if I can find out it's specs. If you don't know it, then maybe I can find something with the model of the laptop.

There are also programs that you can run to get you the specs, but I can't remember the name of the good one off-hand - CDRoller maybe?

You can also try BelArc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html). I don't remember if it gives the drive speed or burn speed though, but it does give a lot of other useful info about your system. It's free.

LastHonestFool03
2005-07-28, 08:07 PM
I'm on a Compaq Presario R3430US, I don't know the model of my drive, I how would I find that out?

I know I can buy a higher speed DVD R, but that would cost more more, and I wouldn't be using that extra speed, so I want to buy the highest speed I can burn at

I'll check that program out now, thanks for your help :)

LastHonestFool03
2005-07-28, 08:18 PM
okay cool, that program is awesome man, thanks for that :)

it didn't give me the drive speed, but it did give me the drive model, so maybe you can look it up liek that? or give me a source to look it up?

here's the model # that program gave me : HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4080N [CD-ROM drive]

thanks for all your help :)

Ted
2005-07-28, 09:00 PM
I know I can buy a higher speed DVD R, but that would cost more more, and I wouldn't be using that extra speed, so I want to buy the highest speed I can burn atThat makes sense. Like I said, I don't do DVDs so I wasn't aware that the high speed ones cost more. Thanks for the info ;)

I have something I have to do. After that, I'll see if I can find your speed from that model number. In the mean time, try going into the Device Manager and seeing what the model there is. It may give a little more info (I know it won't give the speed though). It may also be identical to what BelArc reports. I never bothered to figure out where BelArc gets its info from because I rarley use it anymore. I now use a commercial program to get system info.

Ted
2005-07-28, 09:26 PM
Ok, this is all I could find out:

The vendor ID is HL-DT-ST. It's an 8x burner speed. One source said it was a Hitachi drive (I'm not sure about that one) and a couple others say it's an LG (Legend).

All sources say 8x though. Some say you may not get 8x, but I suspect that is a problem with their system and/or software and not the drive. If it's rates at 8x, it has to be capable of that.

LastHonestFool03
2005-07-28, 10:05 PM
thank you so much man! you have no idea how much you helped me out :)

BTW, whats it mean by Hitachi and/or Legend? thats just who makes it, right, that wouldn't matter when buying DVDs to burn, correct?

thanks man, you made my day :)

Ted
2005-07-29, 12:07 AM
Yes, those are manufacturers. That won't matter when purchasing discs. I just gave you that info because that's what I found. Don't take it for being too accurate though. I couldn't verify it. If you really want to know, you can probably contact Compaq and ask them.